Would you buy a GX460 with 150k and no diff/trans fluid changes? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking at a 2012 GX460 with almost 150k. Lexus Service History is great for oil changes and inspections by the book, but no reference to any changes of diffs, T-case or Trans Fluids. All highway miles, not offroad, first owner lived in an area with long daily commute to town for work, second has had it in a small town with few miles I know all the regular points to check, (thanks to threads on here) and would plan to do all fluids, radiator and waterpump if I got it.

Would you buy it or pass?

Looking at a 2012 GX460 with almost 150k. Lexus Service History is great for oil changes and inspections by the book, but no reference to any changes of diffs, T-case or Trans Fluids. All highway miles, not offroad, first owner lived in an area with long daily commute to town for work, second has had it in a small town with few miles I know all the regular points to check, (thanks to threads on here) and would plan to do all fluids, radiator and waterpump if I got it.

Would you buy it or pass?

If it was serviced by Lexus, they likely didn't recommend those fluid changes, right? I don't see an issue, I would buy it.

I bought my 2012 GX460 with 44k miles on it, 1 owner, serviced by Lexus, and I've already had to replace a wheel speed sensor at a cost of something like $1300 (at 50k miles.) I now have squealing coming from one of the belt tensioners (I think) that I need to get checked out (I'm at 52,500 miles.)

You can minimize risk but never eliminate it - good luck!

Wouldn't lose any sleep over it......

Priced right ? Buy it

Do your own gear oil & fluid changes

Yes the oil filter canister is a PIA.....I purchased a new spare metal OEM type from Amazon

What's the GX market like in AK ?

Thanks for the thoughts. GX's and LX's are slim pickings, especially LX's. Was leaning towards waiting for the right LX or shipping one up, but with all the financial uncertainty, a well priced GX is looking like a sensible option for a couple years, but also curious what used values are going to do over the summer. Looking to upgrade my current daily driver, '97 4Runner with 226k which has been fantastic, and will be kept.

Thanks for the thoughts. GX's and LX's are slim pickings, especially LX's. Was leaning towards waiting for the right LX or shipping one up, but with all the financial uncertainty, a well priced GX is looking like a sensible option for a couple years, but also curious what used values are going to do over the summer. Looking to upgrade my current daily driver, '97 4Runner with 226k which has been fantastic, and will be kept.
Same response as the rest here. If it has been serviced at Lexus, I’d be AOK (though I’d change them out soon after purchase). My 2010 is at 150k and has been an awesome truck.

Re: LX vs GX, if you take it off pavement, you will appreciate the smaller size. Reminds me of my 80 series in size. Nimble enough for tight trails, but decent cargo capacity

Re: LX vs GX, if you take it off pavement, you will appreciate the smaller size. Reminds me of my 80 series in size. Nimble enough for tight trails, but decent cargo capacity

I agree, we had an 80 so I can verify this comparison. We took our LX570 to the beach last weekend and even in that relatively low stress off-road scenario it was glaringly obvious how much more nimble the GX is off-road. I prefer the GX when it comes to anything off-pavement.

OP, if the money is right then I wouldn't hesitate. Best of luck with your decision.

For most of what I would use it for, the LX would be awesome just hard to find up here and more $$$. LX /GX would be for road trips, some entailing long stretches of rough gravel roads and mountain passes, and I'll keep the 3rd Gen 4Runner for trails/beaches. GX is looking like a good option for now if everything looks good on it, thanks for the vote of confidence.

Thanks for the Bud Built Skid info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom