Would you buy a 2005 GX without Nav? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mcgaskins

SILVER Star
Threads
I found a good deal on a 2005 GX that I really like, but it doesn't have navigation or the Mark Levinson sound. I really wanted those two options - partially for resale value later on down the road. I also think the dash looks better with the nav layout. On the plus side, it has rear AC (a must), it's the colors I want, looks new on the inside, has a full dealer service history with recent timing belt service (100k miles), and it drives great. I'm not sure I want to wait too long to find the right one, only to keep searching and never be satisfied.

So, would you buy one without it? I do like the less complicated nature/less expensive fix if something was to go wrong. I'll be trading in a 2003 X5 without nav so it should feel more updated regardless!

Thanks for the reply. I agree that even a smartphone these days is probably more user friendly than the nav interface on the majority of cars that are 3+ years old. I also think it would be great to add a hookup for my Ipod which would satisfy my music needs. I'm assuming there's a company that makes an adapter like Dice for BMW which interfaces like a CD changer but allows text scrolling on the dash. It's a great tool for less than $200. I'm pretty close to closing a deal, and I'm excited and even though I have been looking for an LX 470 I think this will likely fit my needs/wants just as well for a better price.

I really wouldn't worry about not having the navigation and I'd think most buyers would not know the difference on the stereo. I, on the other hand, bought one without the nav and ML stereo and REALLY REALLY miss the stereo!! It can be hard to upgrade the stereo in these with the fronts being 3-ways and having very limited door depth. It is hard to "hide" a sub in the back.

People might miss the blutooth that it won't have that the other 2005's with nav will.

I really wouldn't worry about not having the navigation and I'd think most buyers would not know the difference on the stereo. I, on the other hand, bought one without the nav and ML stereo and REALLY REALLY miss the stereo!! It can be hard to upgrade the stereo in these with the fronts being 3-ways and having very limited door depth. It is hard to "hide" a sub in the back.

People might miss the blutooth that it won't have that the other 2005's with nav will.

Two great points. I have the DSP/premium sound now in my X5 with a built in excellent 8" sub that sounds amazing. Integrated bluetooth is another concern because of the law just going into effect here mandating handsfree.

So I went in to make the purchase last Friday, brought all the docs, title, etc. and when I sat down they started acting funny. I didn't see the GX anywhere on the lot, and they went into the GMs office for a long time. One guy came out and said that it wasn't for sale any more and they wanted to sell me a Q7 instead. Then the GM came out and said they had transferred the GX to another lot, and they didn't know where it was. I started feeling pretty uncomfortable like something shady was going on, and sure enough when I walked around outside I saw it sitting just on the other side of the fence in the back. Long story short, we went back and forth for a while and couldn't come to a deal. I was pretty upset after wasting so much time on the deal, but it was clear to me it wasn't meant to be. Now I'll be able to refocus on the right deal (but still going back and forth between a 100 and a 120). Thanks for the input guys.

I prefer private owner sales on used trucks, or dealer. You get scammed at lots easily.

I prefer private owner sales on used trucks, or dealer. You get scammed at lots easily.

Agreed. I'm going to list mine privately to get much more than I would on a trade, then use our daily for a bit until the right private owner deal comes across. Saves a good bit on tax as well here.

You will be vry disappointd with th Lx nav system. The voice command is worthless and you can't program it while you are moving. There is a way to overide this, but it resets each time you start the engine. The discs to update the maps are very xpensive. Was quoted $900 by the dealer and it is in a dvd drive unit under the passenger seat. Can change it in 5 minutes.

Personal opinion. I agree that the interior looks far better with the NAV screen - more complete. However, not having it always gives you the option to install your own headunit and speakers.

The ML stereo or any dealer special (including the B&O in my Audi) cannot compare after putting a professional-grade stereo system in my 4Runner.

I am thinking of replacing my radio in my 03. Anyone have an aftermarket setup with pics?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom