Would this work for hy-steer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.threeelementsdesigns.com
Would it be possible to remove the steering arm mounts from the knuckles (?), turn them upside down so the bend faces up, netting around 2 inches or so of tie rod clearance? I know that you would have to swap them from side to side aswell, to clear the tires, and therefore shorten the tie rod a few inches, but this would be really cheap. Granted it's not the 4 plus inches of the professional kits, but 2 inches is near free until I can get the dough for the good stuff. What do you think?

HAVE YOU EVER PULLED YOUR ARMS OFF YET?

Sure haven't, or I would probably know the answer to that. Luckily my front axle was in good enough shape to be excluded from my frame up.

nope....that arm attaches with cone washers, you'd need to reverse those...theres'also a two-step round recess that retains the trunion bearings.

Once you see an arm that's not installed, it's obvious....lol

soa10.jpg

i was just about to post a message with this same idea.. i guess it wont work..

What about heating them up and bending them myself, or having a Shop do it localy.. anything has to be better then $400 arms..

[quote author=isotel link=board=1;threadid=8755;start=msg75779#msg75779 date=1071469647]...What about heating them up and bending them myself, or having a Shop do it localy.. anything has to be better then $400 arms..
[/quote]

There are heated & bent arms on the market... without proper metallurgy knowledge... dont try it... :D

Just remember steering and brakes are your life. :-\

[quote author=isotel link=board=1;threadid=8755;start=msg75779#msg75779 date=1071469647]
i was just about to post a message with this same idea.. i guess it wont work..

What about heating them up and bending them myself, or having a Shop do it localy.. anything has to be better then $400 arms..
[/quote]

That's what I'm going to do with mine.

OK, well I guess I'm showing my ass, but why couldn't the arms just be turned around and swapped side to side, not hy-steer, but would place it behind the axle. Sure would be cheap. Why hasn't this been done?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom