Worst cup holders ever designed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The best part is my 200 series cupholder was broken when I bought it so I bought the oem repair parts. It made no change in how the cup holder works. My FJ Cruiser has decent cup holders. I have owned cars with the useless glovebox dents.

Literally the perfect 200 Series thread.

lol.

:worms:

Literally the perfect 200 Series thread.

lol.

:worms:

Guess you haven't spent much time in the other series pages.... I've seen the cupholder complaints in all of them (except the 40.... but I imagine if I searched there would be threads about what to use as they don't exist in a 40 either)

For those complaining about the 200 do you guys still have the adjustable insert? Or not realize you can fit bottles in the door panel?
The door panel locations aren't large enough to hold something like a 20oz tumbler or the typical take out cup from places like Starbucks / McDonalds's.

The issue with the 200 series cup holders is moot IMO, because the BH3D option takes care of it at a pretty reasonable price. Other vehicles that just don't have any locations for cup holders are more difficult to deal with.

The aw11 (first generation MR2... 85-89) has all of these beat.

They have no cupholders. Not even fancy glove box lid indentations.

The early 3rd gen 4runner is much worse than an 80/100.... there's a pull out (that's weak and breaks) that loosely holds cups right over your climate controls and every bump makes them rattle like they're on an amusement ride.

For those complaining about the 200 do you guys still have the adjustable insert? Or not realize you can fit bottles in the door panel?
I loved the one in the Gen 2 4Runner. It holds the drinks right in front of the ventilation vents. Keeps the cold drinks cold in the summer and the hot drinks warm in the winter. Brilliant. And the one in my 1994 4Runner still work like new, after 26 years of me mistreating it.

I loved the one in the Gen 2 4Runner. It holds the drinks right in front of the ventilation vents. Keeps the cold drinks cold in the summer and the hot drinks warm in the winter. Brilliant. And the one in my 1994 4Runner still work like new, after 26 years of me mistreating it.

Seriously? I thought they sucked. I never used mine. One bump and SPLASH all over the dashboard, dripping down into the climate controls and audio.

I absolutely love my cupholder. It holds my hotel & McDonald coffee cups perfectly. It also holds a canned beverage perfectly with the little arm.

I don't use those big thermos type cups though.

Ralph Cestero, sales manager of Ferrari of Washington in Sterling, considered the question. (referring to cup holders)

"Are you serious?," Cestero asked. "This is a Ferrari. When you're driving a Ferrari, you're driving a Ferrari. You don't have time to be doing anything else. You don't have time to drink your coffee. Our buyers don't want cup holders, not even in the Ferrari sedans. This is a Ferrari!"

It was not so much that engineers in Germany opposed cup holders. "It was just that the German consumer didn't have the habit of drinking a beverage while driving. They got out of their cars to drink coffee, or eat. So, no one in the German automobile industry thought about putting cup holders in cars," Schorr said.

And when Mercedes-Benz did first add cup holders for the american market it was the C class...

It's an american thing to need a cup holder that you can fit a Yeti water bottle, big gulp or massive 32 oz cup of coffee. I'm going to sell my LC because of the cup holders. Who cares if takes me anywhere and back with no issues and never breaks. Screw the console cooler that holds a 12 pack. Where do I put a can? Oh wait a normal sized beverage container fits in the cup holder and doesn't spill. never mind I'm keeping it. I'm always curious when folks buy a 200 LC and complain about things like a cup holder or apple play? Get a Lexus 570 or 460 if you want all the bells and whistles. Or heck get a RR. Lots of bells and lots of whistles. Big cup holders. Love ya player but cup holders?

I'm always curious when folks buy a 200 LC and complain about things like a cup holder or apple play? Get a Lexus 570 or 460 if you want all the bells and whistles.
I really don't see why people get their noses bent when people complain about poorly designed cup holders or lack of CarPlay. Like it or not, these are pretty basic things that even $15K cars have these days. Having these things doesn't take anything away from the capability or reliability of the vehicle, yet not having them is clearly a negative for more than a few. Fortunately, there are pretty simple solutions for both problems. BH3D printing has a couple of choices for fixing the cup holder problem at a very modest cost. There are a couple of 3rd party solutions that add Apple CarPlay and Android Auto to the factory infotainment system, again at reasonable prices when you factor in what a new LC costs.
Or heck get a RR. Lots of bells and lots of whistles. Big cup holders. Love ya player but cup holders?
Please don't torture people by suggesting a RR :) . I had a 2014, which was a bad decision that fortunately didn't cost me much money in the end - they were in such high demand that I was able to trade it in 6 months later for just about what I had paid for it. From delivery, the hood didn't latch properly (took the dealer 2 tries to fix) and had some other problems, including issues with not being able to shift the transmission. The shifting issue was due to an incredibly stupid "feature" that retracted the transmission shift knob down into the dashboard when the car was shut off - it sometimes wouldn't pop back up when starting the engine leaving you no way to shift out of park.

I really don't see why people get their noses bent when people complain about poorly designed cup holders or lack of CarPlay. Like it or not, these are pretty basic things that even $15K cars have these days. Having these things doesn't take anything away from the capability or reliability of the vehicle, yet not having them is clearly a negative for more than a few. Fortunately, there are pretty simple solutions for both problems. BH3D printing has a couple of choices for fixing the cup holder problem at a very modest cost. There are a couple of 3rd party solutions that add Apple CarPlay and Android Auto to the factory infotainment system, again at reasonable prices when you factor in what a new LC costs.

It's just with the LC the engineering costs don't go to the cup holder. You are not paying 90K for a cup holder. This is why the LC is not popular in the states.

I used to have a Lotus Elise. I did not get it for a cup holder. I did not get it for the back seat passengers comfort. I am 6'3" and I did not get it for my comfort. It was quick in the corners. That's it. The modern LC is a finely built off road vehicle with certain luxuries. But it is built to be an off road vehicle. Don't get one and complain that it does not have the most modern features. If you want all of those things get another vehicle. It's like people get them just to have the Land Cruiser emblem and don't know anything about them. Not enough space for a family of 5, cup holder, sound system ect. Those people that complain and have the budget should not get a LC. My bet is the person making those types of complaints is not using the LC for what it was designed to do. That's why I get bent when I hear comments like these. I mean you did a test drive? You compared other makes and models? How did you miss these details if they are important to you? And than have the gaul to complain about it?

It's just with the LC the engineering costs don't go to the cup holder. You are not paying 90K for a cup holder. This is why the LC is not popular in the states.

I used to have a Lotus Elise. I did not get it for a cup holder. I did not get it for the back seat passengers comfort. I am 6'3" and I did not get it for my comfort. It was quick in the corners. That's it. The modern LC is a finely built off road vehicle with certain luxuries. But it is built to be an off road vehicle. Don't get one and complain that it does not have the most modern features. If you want all of those things get another vehicle. It's like people get them just to have the Land Cruiser emblem and don't know anything about them. Not enough space for a family of 5, cup holder, sound system ect. Those people that complain and have the budget should not get a LC. My bet is the person making those types of complaints is not using the LC for what it was designed to do. That's why I get bent when I hear comments like these. I mean you did a test drive? You compared other makes and models? How did you miss these details if they are important to you? And than have the gaul to complain about it?
Sorry, but that's a ridiculous set of assertions. Yes I took a test drive. I didn't have a drink with me when I did, but I already knew that the stock cup holders suck. I also knew it didn't have CarPlay. Yet I bought it anyway because I knew there was an aftermarket solution for the cup holders and I could live without CarPlay if it came to it. The Land Cruiser was the best overall option for what I wanted, which is why I bought it. But, like the other options I considered, it isn't perfect.

The argument about engineering costs is totally laughable - they have managed to figure it out in many of their other vehicles and what they figured out could easily be transferred to the LC with a negligible cost. They have simply chosen not to bother yet.

What other vehicle in this class comes even remotely close to being as reliable as the Land Cruiser? The answer is none and that was probably my most important criteria.

If it were only OK to post praise of the LC in these forums, this would be a pretty boring place to visit. Many people clearly don't feel the stock suspension is good enough for their needs or we wouldn't see lots of people upgrading it for their needs, yet it's OK to post about that. Same thing with the stock tires, running boards, roof rack, etc. yet it's OK to post about them. But say something negative about the stock infotainment or cup holders and you practically get run off the forum.

Since it seems to make your blood boil so much, I'd suggest you just ignore threads that mention cup holder or CarPlay in the title.

Though I'm currently mostly on hiatus due to coronavirus, I got the Land Cruiser largely for professional use, which involves driving hundreds of miles across the country on highways to remote areas where I am offroad and working under intense conditions. In the past, this involved flying and renting jacked-up Jeeps. Fortunately, thanks to the Land Cruiser, and no other vehicle that I could find, I'll be able to avoid packing hundreds of pounds of gear for airplanes for at least some of my trips.

My post was meant for levity. But joking aside, you can bet that during those hundreds of highway miles, the cupholder is important. And when I get into the car, covered in sweat from exhausting work on the side of a mountain in northern New Hampshire or in the deserts of Joshua Tree or Las Vegas, you can bet my beverage and my cupholder are going to be important on the drive home.

This is my job and my life. Small details can really matter. But I think there's humor in them too!

Last edited:
Though I'm currently mostly on hiatus due to coronavirus, I got the Land Cruiser largely for professional use, which involves driving hundreds of miles across the country on highways to remote areas where I am offroad and working under intense conditions. In the past, this involved flying and renting jacked-up Jeeps. Fortunately, thanks to the Land Cruiser, and no other vehicle that I could find, I'll be able to avoid packing hundreds of pounds of gear for airplanes for at least some of my trips.

My post was meant for levity. But joking aside, you can bet that during those hundreds of highway miles, the cupholder is important. And when I get into the car, covered in sweat from exhausting work on the side of a mountain in northern New Hampshire or in the deserts of Joshua Tree or Las Vegas, you can bet my beverage and my cupholder are going to be important on the drive home.

This is my job and my life. Small details can really matter. But I think there's humor in them too!

I'm in a similar situation. I bought the 200 because I needed extra seating for kids and translators, and travel weekly into remote areas of Angola for days at a time. I needed something reliable and tough, but that won't beat me up along the way. Those cup holders, that cool box, the A/C and such that come on this modern off-road machine are heavily used by me and my family. If I wanted a hardcore off-road machine, I'd buy and restore a 40.

There's nothing wrong with making light of one of the weaknesses in LC's. It's like learning to laugh at yourself.

BMW e39 says "hold my beer"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom