Won't start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
60 will not start. Drove it two weeks ago with no problems. Went to start it the other day and no go. Starter would click but engine would not turn over. Battery is charged. Connections are good. Grounds are good. Tested starter and it also is good. Changed out ignition swith with negative results. Any ideas? Thanks

If it starts with a jump, then the battery may be low or not holding a charge. Double check and make sure all battery connections are clean and making good connection at both ends of the cables.

If connections are good and battery is good, I'm guessing starter contacts. Common problem that is cheap and easy to fix. A search will give more information.

have you metered the connections when you're cranking?

your solenoid also could be worn... try having someone hitting it with a hammer while turning it over. Might also pull the solenoid off, take out the washer and hit it with some sand paper and re-install it.

i had a starter where the shaft that the gear is mounted on was wedged at the back and of its travel. i pulled the starter and hooked up booster cables and noticed that it was only jumping out 1/4" or so. just pulled on the gear realy hard and it popped all the way out and then sprung back when let go. sounded like the starter relay was clicking and so was the starter itself just not popping out.

60 will not start. Drove it two weeks ago with no problems. Went to start it the other day and no go. Starter would click but engine would not turn over. Battery is charged. Connections are good. Grounds are good. Tested starter and it also is good. Changed out ignition swith with negative results. Any ideas? Thanks

Is the air temp a lot lower now than two weeks ago? If yes, it's almost certainly the battery. Starters needs lots of amps. Battery amps are related to temp. "Bad" batterys are especially sensitive to lower temps. You can have enough amps to make the starter click, but not enough to crank the engine. A voltmeter won't tell the story. Only a battery load tester will tell for sure.

If the temp dropped recently, take the battery into an auto shop and ask them to load test it. If it passes (which I bet it doesn't) then take the starter in and ask them to test it. It's either one or the other.

Still won't start. Replaced battery. Rechecked and cleaned all connections including grounds. Got new starter and tested it. Works fine. Put meter to connections at starter and get 12.5 volts. All other electrical compontents work with the exception of the gage lights. I'm pulling my hair out and there's not much left. Any more ideas? Thanks

Stupid winter!

Is the engine turning over? What happens when you hit the starter switch? Remember you need three things for the engine to run - Fire, Fuel & Time.

It won't crank. Engine is not siezed. I can turn it over by hand. Thanks

Want to thank everyone who offered help. Discovered the positive cable was no good. Got 12.5 volts to starter but was not carrying enough amps. Changed out cable and bingo , it runs. Thanks again.

Want to thank everyone who offered help. Discovered the positive cable was no good. Got 12.5 volts to starter but was not carrying enough amps. Changed out cable and bingo , it runs. Thanks again.

That's one for the books... Glad you found it! I'm having an intermittent problem with my starter as well, I may look into replacing the cable next.

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom