Won't shift into reverse after reseal 4spd (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I resealed a 1980 4 spd and had the top cover off to do so. The lever shifts over, but won't go into gear. What should I look for when I pull the top cover off again? Where did I go wrong? I did not change the reverse adjustmet on the side of the case. I also don't have the driveshafts back in yet, should I wait till I put those in to see if it just needs some load on it to get things seated?

Thanks for the help
garrett

Will it shift into the other gears? Sounds like the transfer-case is installed. Was the transmission output nut inside the transfer-case torqued?

It may just need to be aligned again. The reverse gear will slide on its shaft pretty easily. So even if you didn't touch it, it may have moved.

The Transmission was not split from the t-case, I only resealed the input shaft seal, and all the covers. The yolk flange seals on the t case were replaced as well.

Did you tilt the box vertically with the shifter removed? If so, you likely popped the little gate out of place and you may have to pull the top loader off to realign.

i popped the shifer out of the top loader last night, I can see the button will move in, but the thing will not slide, in laymens terms.

I don't really know what the issue was, but I took both top covers off. checked it all out, and reassembled. it seems to work fine now. Thanks for all the help!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom