4spd shifter seat (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

devo

SILVER Star
Threads
Just wondering if it is just good PM to change out the Shifter Seat after 40 years on a H42 4spd ? No shifting issues but its a rubber part that is easy to get to.

devo

Sorry, I don't know what you mean by "shifter seat". Could you please explain?

You mean this boot?
IMG_0214.jpeg

I didn't think the older 4 speeds had the shifter seat in them, just the later 1981?+ 4 speeds
the change from iron/steel top plate to aluminium

the seat goes in the top plate and the ball from the stalk rides on it, when it wears out the stalk drops lower into the trans and causes issues

Believe all US imported 40 series four speeds have a cast iron two piece top plate. The pre 9/73 was one piece. 60 series had aluminum covers. The H55F is aluminum no matter what series is aluminum. If a V8 installed then using a 60 series top plate to move the shifter back 40 series might an aluminum cover.

Your probably right about my 1981 4spd not having a shift seat. There is not a lot of talk about them and I don’t really see any vendors selling them. They are available for the 60 series and I did replace the shift seat on my 60 due to sticky shifting.
I guess I would have to open mine up in look to see what is really down there. Leads me to believe that the non US H41 would not have a replaceable shift seat either?

Thanks

I have H41s in both sixteen and nineteen spline output shafts. Both from 40 series and cast iron top plates.

Best pictures I can find of a US import 3/82 H42 and Australian 6/84 H41. Was from a HJ47RV with the hand brake on the transfer case.
20220309_122934.jpg
20220309_122917.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom