Won't Idle - Electrical Problem? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

G

On Friday morning I went out to go to work and the Cruiser would not start (ran fine on Thursday). Starter works, coil sparks, distribtuor seems fine, and it will even start the engine, if I hold the key to "Start". However after the engine turns over and starts, when I let go of the key to run "On", the engine dies. Lights, wipers, etc. work normaly with the key "On", so I doubt it is a ignition switch issue (maybe?).

My only other thought is a faulty regulator. Do anyone think that could be the cause the problem I am having? How do I use a voltmeter to check if the regulator is functioning properly?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom
12/75 FJ40
Stock Semi-trans ignition, Holley carb

Sounds like your ballast resistor has called it a day. Easy to check, bypass it and see if she stays running. If yes, replace it if not put a new condensor in it...if still no luck I'd check the coil and maybe the ign switch itself.

Sounds like your ballast resistor has called it a day.  Easy to check, bypass it and see if she stays running.  If yes, replace it if not put a new condensor in it...if still no luck I'd check the coil and maybe the ign switch itself.

Yes, this is correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom