Wnidow Handles? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know my weather stripping propably needs replacing and my window scissors could use some work, but I'm sick to death of going through these cheap, plastic geared handles. Does anyone have a reasonable solution? (besides fixing afore mentioned problems)
I just want to roll my window up and down! I don't think that's asking too much. Thank you all in advance for your compassion and grace during this trying time.

Never been much of a fan of plastic window crank handles, or the little PITA clips that hold them in place. Have done some light pondering about how to convert the regulators to something that has some actual torque, heavier duty handle, and has a threaded fastener that holds it in place. Probably a matter of grafting some different regulators together. Have to tackle that obstacle when I get there. Will be interested in seeing what you come up with if you beat me to it.

My 71 has pot metal handles, but the length of the gear is shorter I believe than the newer ones.

We had some family visit the farm a while back and the young boy went crazy over the window cranks in the 55, never seen them before.
Amazing isn’t it, the things that the youth today have and may never experience that used to be so common place that nobody ever gave it much thought.(?)
Just tonight, was realizing that my kids have never operated a cheese grater. They’ll probably never know the work that used to be involved in making a cheese crisp.
Anyways, yeah, window cranks… crazy.

We had some family visit the farm a while back and the young boy went crazy over the window cranks in the 55, never seen them before.
My father wouldn’t own a pick-up with power windows in case one of his customers (mostly farmers) got in the truck (presumably to go out and show where he wanted a well drilled), saw power windows and though, “damn, Mike is making too much money, I can get this well drilled for less.”

then the 74 couldn’t be had without power windows.

introduce a kid to a rotary phone if you want to have a laugh. Tell him to dial DUdley 21645.

Never been much of a fan of plastic window crank handles, or the little PITA clips that hold them in place. Have done some light pondering about how to convert the regulators to something that has some actual torque, heavier duty handle, and has a threaded fastener that holds it in place. Probably a matter of grafting some different regulators together. Have to tackle that obstacle when I get there. Will be interested in seeing what you come up with if you beat me to it.
PO did this. I have yet to undo it. Total PITA to use, but they don’t break.

If it had an actual knob it wouldn’t be too bad. Wonder what it takes to broach the female end into a piece is steel or aluminum…

1623990145275.jpeg

119C9DA0-51D1-4D5D-B252-CE32D8C61B8A.jpeg

Did that to both front doors?
I saw once where a guy welded a socket to the drive gear shaft and could then use a ratchet to roll the window up and down and then remove the ratchet if desired. Probably still a PITA without a rotating knob on the end. Better than my vise-grip crank handle tho…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom