Wits End inner axle seal over driver? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I ordered a front knuckle rebuild kit for my 96 land cruiser and I was looking to buy some parts to make it easier for install. I was reading some other threads and watching videos on YouTube and many say to buy the seal over driver on Wits End because the old seal causes wear, which makes it leak, so the seal needs to be pushed in more to accommodate for the wear. The only issue is that I have no idea if it’s worn out too much or not because I haven’t dug into the rig yet, so my question is, would it be a bad idea to over drive the seal if it’s not worn out?

The previous owner of my 1996 used Marlin Crawler inner seals in the front axle which are beefy but have a reputation for wearing a groove. I went ahead and ordered one just in case.

The previous owner of my 1996 used Marlin Crawler inner seals in the front axle which are beefy but have a reputation for wearing a groove. I went ahead and ordered one just in case.
That’s the exact kit I bought, the marlin crawler, I probably should have mentioned that earlier

Marlin
That’s the exact kit I bought, the marlin crawler, I probably should have mentioned that earlier
Marlin seals are none to leak I would just do the oem seals. I bought the harbor freight seal driver kit it works fine for these

Marlin

Marlin seals are none to leak I would just do the oem seals. I bought the harbor freight seal driver kit it works fine for these

+1 - I had to re-do 1 side of my 80 when I went Marlin.

I had birf soup show in <7500mi (noticed when I was on a oil change, so barely over 6K)

So I went back OEM & just didn’t seat it all the way in deep w/ my socket.

Also - for guys who are buying new birfs - run some fine sandpaper where the seal rides, I helped a fellow re-do his that had new birfs & the milling was rough & ate the rubber really fast.

Worthy to sit in my Toyota sst driver box 💪🏾

7113FDB2-30AA-44F7-AE19-54B9F92C63E3.jpeg

No reason not to do it, I've not seen a full-time truck that didnt have some sort of groove on the axle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom