wish me luck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
after weeks of chasing, finally getting hte HJ45 inspected tomorrow, i'll tell you how it goes

tru dat man!

well today was interesting.

don't know how your insepctions go in the US

took it in there (after a mad rush to find the key, 1hr.... then find aservo with diesel to fill the jerry can,,, 30 min, having the Fj overheat on the way home from the fuel stop....)

first up the thing didn't want to turn left. turns out a steering rod was hitting the new bullbar's support member. so fix that , off we go, no cops thank god.

the Hj drove well, i forgot how gutless 3rd is in a diesel, but the clutch pedal feel improved, the brakes must'v got back in wack, because there was no pulling or anything.

got there, told it's be a few hours. so dad and i walked for miles looking at wreckers for interesting stuff.

found a set of race seats for the Fj fairly cheap with harness. good nick, so i bout them later on in the day. another waste of money

get back, the check is progressing, and after all the hard work of rust repairs, brakes, handbrakes, muffler, oil leaks, shocks, shackle rubbers, the mech told us we'd done well (he even asked how we got the drums to stop so well :) , he's more a performance car mech)

it failed the initial inspection though, which means we have 7 days to rectify what he lists, then he'll issue a roadworthy.

sited on the list

rust in rain gutter. dad's going to sand it, fix it, prime it and paint it through the week.
steam clean underside of car... don't know about that one, prob on the way there.

wiper blades (done for 5 bucks now)
windscrean washer (fixed in 2 min with a pin)

rear seatbelts. now this looked to be a stumbling block. 80 bucks a belt (lap only), 8 seats.

but we called him and we only have to pull the back seats and he'll consider it a van.

so there we go, could have been worse, but it's almost there, 3 more things to go.

Out here in Vancouver, B.C. we only have a smog check (Aircare). As long as you don't pollute there is not much inspection unless the safety Nazi's pull you over, then all bets are off. I've lost a good car that way once :mad:. If they are determined enough I'm sure the safety Nazi's can get anything off the road (and they can be determined)!
I doubt that rusty raingutters is high on the list though. ???

the raingutters was a huge surprise to me too, especially considering i can legally remove the roof.. but this guy seems ok, i think it's just that the raingutter rust is obvious, so it raises questions about other places in the car (the gutters only rusted because i ripped a roof rack off the first week i had it by going into an underground carpark ::) )

also he ignored other things most would pick, i think he just wants it looking neat when he signs the paper so he can turn aroung and say "well they must have hidden this or that when they brought it in" because he already lost his roadworthy inspection license once (he used to write the roadworthy certificate without seeing the car, just quote name, rego, car type)

so the seats are out, but the wiper blades need to be attached, the washer works, i just gotta steam clean (any tips) the underside of the car, and dad'l fix the gutters

Boy that roadworthy crap is the biggest bunch of bull$hit I've ever heard of in my entire life ::). I don't have to do anything but buy a tag every coupla years. Sorry you have to deal with that. :-\

t's not like in New South Wales ( i'm a victorian) at least, they have compulsory road worthies every year. mine just got pulled up on a cop inspection (he didn't like the fact i had to pump the brake 3 times to stop) and the fact it didn't have a handbrake (how do you expect to park on a hill son? uhhhh put it in gear)

some other stupid quotes from that non mechanical dick.

son your horn don't work (he says as he pushes on the center padding on the steering wheel)

i don't think that bumper is legal... uhh it's stock.

he really didn't like it when he asked what i'd do if a kid ran out in front of me (i know i could stop it but felt like being a dick) i ssid " get the parents to clean the blood off my car because they should be supervising their f***ing kids.

one last thing. did 40's ever have rubber on the accelerator pedal?

none of the 40's i've ever seen has rubber on the accel, only brake and clutch (where it is rightfully needed) and my parts supplier said you can't get them for the accel.

ohh well, i told the woman at the RTA they didn't come with them :-[

she believed me... i also explained that a foot slipping off the accel would cause no where near the damage that slipping off the brake would in an emergency stop

thats right, they didn't come with them. I love what you said to that cop, but i dont think i would ever be pissed enough to say that to one. Up here we dont seem to have anywhere near the same standards. One check at roadworthy when you buy or re-register the car, and thats it. The police i've been pulled up by just ask me if its registered (if i paid car tax $600/year) and the really dodgy ones look to see if my number plates are visible and in good nick and one guy even had the nerve to tell me one of my back parkers was not working! How friggen rude. But most cops that have pulled me up just say, "nice rig, i used to have one of these" or "gees, them 4-banger diesels never die do they. Right have a nice day"

We queenslanders also wave to cops on the street and they wave back. Unlike in victoria, where you wave to a cop and they'll shoot you ;) At least thats what some visiting torians said when some police waved at us.

Sam

WA is even better .Once a car is registered it never has to be inspected again unless the cops find something wrong or you let the rego expire.
I had an experience with a Vic cop early one morning in central Melbourne because he didnt like my WA made bullbar and a crack in the windscreen so he gave me a work order and I gave him a mouthfull of abuse.He said he was going get my car put off the road because I had been in VIC too long with Wa rego. When I made enquiries they told me they had no authority to inspect or deregister an interstate car for defects.Wish I could have seen that smartass cops face when I tore the paperwork up and laughed at him. And I stayed for another 2 years on WA rego

holy crap,

i'm just glad i live over here man. in south carolina (it's in the USA for all you un-american types) there aren't any kind of vehicle inspections. you just have to pay a property tax and get a plate.

i am soooo lucky,
jonathan

oh, bad religion, you should rent a carpet cleaner and then tell the inspector that you just couldn't get the stanley steamer under the cruiser. :D

yeah, i shouldn't have said that to the cop, about the kids, but i was pissed off, in the same day some mother started bitching about my rig "going to kill one of her children" due to poor visibility, and she wouldn't listen when i said that i could only hit her kids if they were being ratbags, then a cop pulls me over, has no idea about cars, i had make and model as "old jeep, "land rover" and various stuff, also told that my engine rattle was a concern for roadworthy, till i informed him that diesels generally do that, and the prick didn't speak 3 words of english, and the pms bitch cop with him was paying me out with personal attacks of " you bums should look after your crap heaps better" and then they weren't going to let me drive it home, which was around the corner.

and the "diesel leak" the guy spotted was the drips of the oil leak he had already inspected.

it's been a year and it's still a touchy subject for me.

when told that i was "going to have an accident within days if i kept driving it" i asked then why hadn't i suffered one in 1 year, and 80 000 km of driving it in similar condition...

and the worst part, the "how to get your defective notice cleared" instructions that i was informed was printed on the back of the road worthy paper, were not there, and i had to go through 3 government departments before i found the appropriate instructions.

In utah we have annual safety inspections. Mostly straight forward stuff, horn, lights, brakes, etc. but they have a maximum bumper height rule that got me pulled over one day. The officer was pretty cool about it though. He remeasured after I aired down and said I passed. He then asked to look under my hood. He complimented me on the 350 install and asked how hard was it to do SOA. Call me lucky. I giggled all the way home.
:D

We're a bit more lax on the roadworthys and stuff here in queensland, but your car would be off the road for good if you'd spoken to the cop like that, at least in my town. It happened to a few of my mates when we were still young and silly... Roadworthys are still a bitch though, my shorty got through two months ago and yesterday I was pulled up by the transport dept. on my way home from work. I thought I would go for sure, my back tyres sit out at least two inches from the guards, but after going through the usual motions of checking indicators, lights etc he just said it was a tidy rig and let me go. I'm just glad I'd washed the oil from my leaking axle seals off my rims two days before, otherwise it could have been a different story. I'd hate to have to go through a yearly inspection like some of you guys have to.

We're the same here, when you buy a vehicle it has to go thru roadwothy before they will register it in your name. Also strict here, had to put the pram wheels on, the 35's were too wide. My Cruiser failed for not having rubber on the pedals....... :'(

I gotta say, you aussies get all the cool cruisers but we get all the lax laws in the US. :eek: My rust bucket has HOLES in the floor from rust. No problem. The only thing CLOSE to what you have is in Kalifornia where they can crush what they call "gross polluters". And even that can be gotten around.

update...

after missing the appointment time to get retested due to family reasons, the mechanic was sympathetic and didn't charge me the retest fee, and he just inspectd the things he originally picked (actually he only looked to see if the rear seats were removed) and then handed me my road worthy. then the department of motor vehicles was most helpfull, and REINSTATED my registration.

the HJ45 is back.................................................

thanks for all your help guys, i've never accomplished anything like this before

damn i thought the inspection process here was BS (NC), BUT you can basically drive anything that the electrical works (lights, horn, etc..) they wouldnt say a damn thing if you had to put 4 quarts of oil back in before you drive off after your inspection.
i got pulled in my cruiser with the inspection out since 1993 and the cop was cool as hell. he told me to be careful and even told me of a place that he got his old rusted out CJ inspected by one of those good ol boys who will pass anything for an extra dollar. -- he told me that some cops (like him) are there to help people not harass people and the only reason he pulled me was to warn me of some other officers in town that are power hungry and have to flex their muscles every chance they get. Also he said he had to check out the cruiser and told me of some good but illeagal trails. -- NOW THATS A GOOD OL BOY FORM THE DIRTY SOUTH!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom