Wisconsin Introductions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Welcome @Tearlock. I am in Madison and have been going out roughly once a month with the 4l4w.org group. They have access to private properties to wheel at. As expected the the trails are narrow and while Wranglers go through just fine my 100 series has been bashed a few times:
View attachment 2037295
Ouch! and Thanks for reaching out, It's nice to know other Cruiser's in the area and to know that there are actual off road trails here.

1st Name: Olin

Town/City: Madison

Rig(s) you wheel complete with mods if any:
'85 FJ60 - desmoged
'69 FJ40 - '74 F-and-a-half, aux fuel tank

Past rigs you built up or have sold if any:
Series 3 Land Rover 109 - former Belgian military vehicle
Mercedes Benz 300D

Any special talents? : I'm a Sommelier, a former professional bicycle mechanic, general layabout, a ne'r-do-well, and a middling welder

@ClassyJalopy .....sorry for the delayed reply but for some reason I never saw your message about a possible August ride. My build completion will take me into spring/summer of 2020 so mid year 2020 I hope to have the new 40 on the road and ready for some trail riding. I just got back from visiting Crivitz, WI on Sunday. Was driving my F150 but I could not go there without stopping in on the Pipeline to relive a decade of memories from my 20's. It looks very, very overgrown but it still felt awesome just to be there. I could almost smell the campfires and hear music we used to play all night long until the sun came up.

1568676385451.JPEG

1568676381653.JPEG

1568676379741.JPEG

Big difference from 1990's below:

crivitz1.JPG

crivitz3.JPG

Last edited:

'85 FJ60 - desmoged

Mercedes Benz 300D

Any special talents? : I'm a Sommelier, a former professional bicycle mechanic, general layabout, a ne'r-do-well, and a middling welder
Welcome to the madness Olin. I am down in Racine but spend a bit of time in Madison at least a couple times a month.

'85 FJ60 - desmoged

Mercedes Benz 300D

Welcome Olin. You are the fourth cruiser head I know about here is Madison. Perhaps we can all get together a Saturday morning, cars and coffee style.
Should I start a poll on a couple of dates and see what kind of response we get?

@ClassyJalopy .....sorry for the delayed reply but for some reason I never saw your message about a possible August ride. My build completion will take me into spring/summer of 2020 so mid year 2020 I hope to have the new 40 on the road and ready for some trail riding. I just got back from visiting Crivitz, WI on Sunday. Was driving my F150 but I could not go there without stopping in on the Pipeline to relive a decade of memories from my 20's. It looks very, very overgrown but it still felt awesome just to be there. I could almost smell the campfires and hear music we used to play all night long until the sun came up.

View attachment 2085014

View attachment 2085015

View attachment 2085016

View attachment 2085048

View attachment 2085043

Very nice pics, Drake. I keep hearing mixed news about the former pipeline. From these pics looks like it is mostly forest service roads now. So basically Subaru type trails.
I have heard there are some interesting near Antigo - If I get a chance I will check them out this fall and post some pics here.

Welcome Olin. You are the fourth cruiser head I know about here is Madison. Perhaps we can all get together a Saturday morning, cars and coffee style.
Should I start a poll on a couple of dates and see what kind of response we get?

Sounds great. Hope I can make it. I work very long days most saturdays.

Very nice pics, Drake. I keep hearing mixed news about the former pipeline. From these pics looks like it is mostly forest service roads now. So basically Subaru type trails.
I have heard there are some interesting near Antigo - If I get a chance I will check them out this fall and post some pics here.
Hi @ClassyJalopy , definitely not Subaru trails. I have seen 44" Swampers disappear on the Pipeline. I personally have blown gear sets, drive shafts, etc....This trip I was very limited how far I could explore with my stock F150, no winch or backup vehicle.

Hi @ClassyJalopy , definitely not Subaru trails. I have seen 44" Swampers disappear on the Pipeline. I personally have blown gear sets, drive shafts, etc....This trip I was very limited how far I could explore with my stock F150, no winch or backup vehicle.

Thanks for clarification. I have developed an aversion to mud lately. It is a few minutes of fun followed by weeks of cleaning!

Thanks for clarification. I have developed an aversion to mud lately. It is a few minutes of fun followed by weeks of cleaning!
I am with you on the mud. It was great 25 years ago, not so much anymore.

Thought I'd introduce myself. Just bought this LX from down in Minneapolis and joined mud a few days ago. It is fairly rust free and came with the gobi rack and matching ladder. I'm visiting family for the holidays RN and just got back from a short trip to the Everglades to go swamp wheeling (great time). Anyone know anywhere to go wheeling up north? I haven't been to the pipeline in Crivitz yet, I'll have to go this summer as it's a bit of a drive from Superior. Bayfield county has some great trails, specifically Menard road.

Lx450 side shot.png

Thought I'd introduce myself. Just bought this LX from down in Minneapolis and joined mud a few days ago. It is fairly rust free and came with the gobi rack and matching ladder. I'm visiting family for the holidays RN and just got back from a short trip to the Everglades to go swamp wheeling (great time). Anyone know anywhere to go wheeling up north? I haven't been to the pipeline in Crivitz yet, I'll have to go this summer as it's a bit of a drive from Superior. Bayfield county has some great trails, specifically Menard road.

View attachment 2168682
Welcome to the sleepiest club on the whole forum. Most of the state and national forests have forest roads that are unimproved and are available to registered vehicles.
I am not sure how far you are from Duluth and Superior national forest. There are quite a few forest roads up there too.
Finally check out rl4wd.com. they have a directory of trails in WI, although most are lame-O gravel roads.
Here's a pic ofone I found in the south western part of WI today
20191229_143657.jpg

Welcome from Racine.............and @ClassyJalopy "the sleepiest club on the whole forum" may be an understatement :(

Saw this 100 at Governor Dodge state park today
20191229_163925.jpg

View attachment 2085014

View attachment 2085015

View attachment 2085016

View attachment 2085048

View attachment 2085043
where does the Pipeline start and what is most popular spot ?

where does the Pipeline start and what is most popular spot ?
The open trail isn’t what it used to be. I’d say Thunder Mountain is the most popular but that also is pretty pedestrian these days.

The open trail isn’t what it used to be. I’d say Thunder Mountain is the most popular but that also is pretty pedestrian these days.
Couple decades ago the pipeline section we ran was about 10 miles. Now it is broken up into sections that are available/not available for public use. Picture below shows where we used to camp for about 10 years (circled in blue). It also shows the 1st of 2 bridges that I helped to build in the 1990's along with the Army Corps of Engineers and the DNR.

1582161318188.png

4Lakes 4wd group is going for a group ride up at Antigo tomorrow. Sorry I didn't think of posting it here earlier.
Also, I saw a pretty little red Tacoma with IH8MUD sticker at a local hotel's parking lot!

Wish I could be there. Make sure to post pics of the ride! I was not aware of trails in Antigo.

Well - it turns out there are quite a few decent trails in Elton WI, about 15 miles east of Antigo Wi.

It was my first time there. Went with a group called 4L4w.org. Met @4LLC too! Here's a picture I took today. I have a couple of other videos that I might upload later.

IMG-20200606-WA0010.jpg

20200606_102231.jpg