wiring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
has anybody had there fj40 completely rewired and what was the price. i was quoted 2500.00 is that to much or what. has anyone done it themselves and how hard is it. how long did it take you. thanks. also what did you use for kit

Quick-Wire kits are simple and affordable.........

No more Corpus trips?

I'm installing a painless right now and it is not that bad. Everything is labeled so you can't mess it up. They have updated their install instructions for the FJ40. I'm putting fuel injection in my cruiser, so I used their F.I. kit as well. If you are in the sacramento area I can help you out.:beer:

When I bought my 40 it had a painless harness thrown in or should i say "at it"....lol..
Thanks goodness the PO didnt botch it up.....I took it completely off, downloaded the instructions from there site, and installed it correctly with absolutely no problem....
I couldnt imagine an easier harness....The wires are labeled their entire length, fuse box was first rate, everything was very nice in my opinion...

As said above Painless has updated their 40 installation instructions which helped bring it close to perfect for me......

I'm buying one for my CJ7 within the next month or so....

we rewired my cruiser, and since it has a few extras and I wanted provisions for dual batteries and a winch, we did it ourselves - I would not give it to a shop

it was not that difficult, my OCD just made it take a long while :rolleyes:

Painless.......these days, I would buy their watertight fusebox (they didn't have those when I rewired :mad:)

Like OCDBeetle I had a Painless "thrown at it" It's definitely not pretty. Only the ignition and engine compartment wiring was done so it wasn't fully installed. I pulled the Painless kit out and what was left of the original harness and decided to start from scratch. Thanks to this post I just finished printing out the new Painless manual and will jump on installing it tomorrow.

Where did you Painless guys mount the fuse box? I want to keep it away from the kick vent if possible.

My factory soft top didnt come with a heater so I put the fusebox on the firewall about midpoint under the dash....

I thought of something like that my self. I want it in easily accessible location away from potential water hazards. You gave me a couple of ideas so I'll have to start looking under the dash for mounting space.

I mounted it pretty much in the location of the original fuse box to the left of the driver's left leg (there is a thread with a pic of my self-made mounting backet....circa summer of 2005)

I also have an auxiliary fuse block on the firewall in the engine compartment over the heater (some PO's doing and quite useful ;p)

I put heat shrink around every connector-wire junction and used the watertight connectors everywhere

I'll take a look through your build up and see what you have. I'm looking at whatever ideas are solid.

I have about 15' of shrink tubing in 3 different sizes for my install. I'm planning on crimping, soldering then shrink tubing every joint. I'm not risking letting the smoke out of the wire from a bad connection!

The original fuse block is missing and this is my first 40 so I couldn't tell you where that would be. I think I came up with a decent solution but I'll have to check for fitment first. I'll post up after I solved this little issue.

i grant we are not hauling boats anymore so we dont get down there to much anymore. but we will stop buy when we do. also not hauling much anymore mostly sitting. also thanks to everyone for the info still am confused but it will work out. i dont know what kit to buy since it has a v8 help me which one thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom