Wiring Harness Option (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m doing a full restoration on a 76 FJ40 with a 350 fuel injected engine. The TBI has the eldebrock harness that I installed with the engine swap so that is all good. I need to replace the wiring harness and have been looking at the Painless and Summit harness options. What have you found for pro and cons on these two options? The Summit 12 circuit seems like a good fit and is less money. Do I need the GM column version or Std. with either option?

Painless

Personally I like the painless wiring harness kit. I am currently using it now as I restore my 72 40. However if your cruiser is anything like mine, as long as its not the :censor: wiring job the previous owner did, either Painless or Summit will do

If you have not done a few total re-wires, go with the Painless, they have good customer-support, if you get stuck on something.You don't need the GM column version, unless you changed the column to an after market one. Most all after market columns use GM connections

I just finished my Painless kit and have to give it a big thumbs up! I went with the 12 circuit and found it easy to wire up into the Toyota steering wheel. I found the new Painless instructions to be a huge help as well. Have a Toyota schematic on hand when you wire up the dash switches since most of them are switched to ground. I crimped, soldered, and heat shrunk all my connections. It doubled my install time but I know for certain that none of my connections won't go intermittent because of a bad crimp.

If you get the kit I'd be more than happy to help out as much as I can when you wire the switches.

Thanks to all for the replys on the painless. Has anyone used the Summit harness? The reason I ask is the cost difference.

American Autowire was just the ticket for me (with a ramjet, AC, etc.). I used the Highway 22.

The painless kit workd well on mine. it really is just a universal GM-style harness that sets up easy. it'll work well with your Edelbrock harness if you're planning on using the electric choke, since it has a hardwired source for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom