Windshield Tint (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have Llumar Air 80 installed on all of my vehicle windshields as soon as I get them. Absolutely love it. It works great at keeping the heat out when it is sitting and while you are driving around.

I used the Llumar Pinnacle on side/back windows up until a couple years ago when they released the Stratos line. Pinnacle is still around though and both are great films.

Last edited:
I had my windshield tinted when I did my sides and rear. My installer used Rayno ceramic, 30% on the front sides, 70% for all other windows (including the windshield), and 50% on the sunroof. The windshield tint is barely noticeable, but reduces heat significantly. Here are some pics:

IMG_0359.JPG
IMG_0360.JPG
IMG_0361.JPG

For heat reduction - I believe it is the ceramics that are the best.
For registration stickers - can’t you just tape it up on the inside?

my question: does a ceramic tint offer any protection from chips and cracks from rocks? The highways And construction trucks here in AZ always spit out rocks and I get cracks in the windshield often.

my question: does a ceramic tint offer any protection from chips and cracks from rocks? The highways And construction trucks here in AZ always spit out rocks and I get cracks in the windshield often.
No, the tint goes on the inside, so isn't any help with chips. I considered tinting my windshield but have the same problem with chips and cracks as you. I've already put a new windshield in my 2020, and put 6 new windshields in my old Tundra in 5 years.

No, the tint goes on the inside, so isn't any help with chips. I considered tinting my windshield but have the same problem with chips and cracks as you. I've already put a new windshield in my 2020, and put 6 new windshields in my old Tundra in 5 years.
You can always add paint protection film on the exterior of the windshield.

You can always add paint protection film on the exterior of the windshield.
Oh good idea, I hadn’t thought of that. How does it hold up? Do the wipers cause any scratching or hazing?

Oh good idea, I hadn’t thought of that. How does it hold up? Do the wipers cause any scratching or hazing?
I’ve never tried it so I don’t have any personal experience with it. Looks like most of the manufacturers guarantee its scratch resistant and warrantee the product. PPF that you would apply to the rest of the vehicle is usually scratch resistant and heals itself with heat. I’ve seen people key cars with PPF on it for demonstration purposes and it’ll hold up without tearing.

Does windshield tint affect the functionality of the auto A/C. It seems the car does a good job of increasing output when driving into the sun etc.

A long time ago some tints interfered with radar detector operation.. was that the old metallic stuff? Any issues with ceramic?

Personally I really like the factory tint on mine but if a clear IR rejecting film could cut down on heat I’d be all about that.

Ceramic is fine with a radar detector.

You don’t want to PPF on the outside of your windshield, it isn’t nearly clear enough. You’d need to do something like Clearplex or similar.

I'm getting my tint installed at a ghetto shop. The lowest tint they had was 45%. Anyone know if there is anything lower (closest to clear)? I think 200's have huge windshields which make this necessary. I literally burn in the sun.

I'm getting my tint installed at a ghetto shop. The lowest tint they had was 45%. Anyone know if there is anything lower (closest to clear)? I think 200's have huge windshields which make this necessary. I literally burn in the sun.
The higher the number, the less pigment in the tint and the clearer it will be. 70 or 80 is as dark as I would go on a windshield. Darker may not be safe, and will be noticeable to law enforcement.

Reckless

I would think they could order - if you are willing to wait. If the shop can't get 80 or 90, Llumar has an online ability to search for dealers.

I couldn't wait.... the sun has been melting my rear and burning my arms- I'm feeling bad I didn't do this years ago. I didn't think anyone did this because of how illegal tints are. I got 45% ceramic for $60 and its pretty good, look wise. It's slightly darker than stock, my major concern is not being pulled over. We were debating whether it will be an issue, we are 50/50 if cops will bother me. Heat wise its super awesome. The sun wasn't able to burn/touch me. I got the car late in the day so I have to see how it does on a long sunny day but its better than the BMW/Benzes I've had. Will report more about night time driving but I have the super LED bulbs that should make it easy to see. I notice my eyes didn't hurt and water as much while driving in the sun. I constantly grab my visor to block the heat/sun on both sides and didn't need to anymore.

The installer removed some weird black box from the windshield. Not sure what it is used for? Also need to reinstall my car wash sticker and ipass.

I couldn't wait.... the sun has been melting my rear and burning my arms- I'm feeling bad I didn't do this years ago. I didn't think anyone did this because of how illegal tints are. I got 45% ceramic for $60 and its pretty good, look wise. It's slightly darker than stock, my major concern is not being pulled over. We were debating whether it will be an issue, we are 50/50 if cops will bother me. Heat wise its super awesome. The sun wasn't able to burn/touch me. I got the car late in the day so I have to see how it does on a long sunny day but its better than the BMW/Benzes I've had. Will report more about night time driving but I have the super LED bulbs that should make it easy to see. I notice my eyes didn't hurt and water as much while driving in the sun. I constantly grab my visor to block the heat/sun on both sides and didn't need to anymore.

The installer removed some weird black box from the windshield. Not sure what it is used for? Also need to reinstall my car wash sticker and ipass.

If you know an eye doctor. All you need is a note that you have sensitive eyes and just show that to cops anytime one stops you and no ticket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom