Windows fogging up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My windows are constantly fogging up. It doesn't seem to matter how many people are in it because it happens when I'm driving alone. The defroster takes care of the windshield after a while, but all the others stay fogged up. Even the rear with rear defrost on. This has been very annoying and obviously unsafe. Has anyone else had to deal with this issue?

1) I think everyone will agree, you have to use the fresh air setting always.

2) Is there a chance you have excess moisture, ie carpet, or leaks.... that would do it too

You must have some moisture in the carpet somehow. Have you checked to see if all of the carpet is dry everywhere first?

No, but I keep both hand on the wheel at all times. If you're hands are anywhere else but the steering wheel, your results may vary.

I was waiting for a reply like that syrinxstar! Very rarely do I keep both hands on the wheel, but it's not what you're thinking!

No, I have not noticed any leaks on the carpet. I thought it might be some type of window seal or cabin filter(If there is one)

I suppose I could do an extensive search for moisture. I notice this mostly in the evening and not so much in warmer weather. Oh, and of course when both hands are NOT on the wheel. LOL

In my 'Cruiser and in my 4Runner I have the same problem... whenever the air is set to recirculate. It HAS to be on fresh-air to do it's job in the cold. Whenever I set it to fresh-air after having it on recirculate the fog clears right up.

I don't think I would recirculate the air with my obnoxious kids in the back! Oops, and my wife too.

I'll have to do some trial and error with the settings. Thanks.

In my experience, recirculate and air-conditioning ON is the best. Close all windows. Doesn't matter whether the fan is blowing on the windows or the floor for drying out the air, but of course blowing the air on the windows gets the steam off of them faster. The A/C works by removing moisture from the air. You can have the A/C on AND slide the cold/hot selector over to hot, providing warm, dry air. If you go to fresh air, you are introducing moist air from outside the car which will take longer to "dry out" (assuming you are in a humid environment).

Maybe you're spending too much time on Lover's Lane. ;p

OZCAL said:
In my experience, recirculate and air-conditioning ON is the best.

That's exactly what I do and what I was going to suggest.

Even if it's too cold outside(or inside) to have the AC on, turn it on anyway. It seems to work (to certain extent) even when you have the setting high enough to have warm air come out.

Try adjusting the temp slider and see which position works best for different conditions.

Good luck!

Mot

If your heater core has even a small leak your windows will continually fog up. You may want to check and see if there is any dampness on your carpet near the core. MIght be worth a look.

Back to the Window Fogging

I went to the mountains this weekend snowboarding. On my way back it was extremly cold outside and had to run the defrost constantly. It didn't matter what settings I had my side windows would fog up and actually freeze. Is this a TLC thing I have to deal with or a seal problem....

I have found that you must clean your windows real good to get all the film residue crap off, that helps keep them from fogging up. This must be used along with what Mot and Ozcal have said to be effective.

Good luck!

Derek

I had a heater core leak in one of my cars and it fogged up something terrible! Does it smell sweet like AF in your truck? My foorboards also got a little damp near the hc.

No sweet smelling or wetness anywhere.....Normally my windows never fog, however, this is my first cold winter with Lizzy....... :)

I will bet you have water in the bottom of the compartment where the jack is. Take eveything out of it and stick your hand down in the void. The narrow trim piece below the rear window is the culprit. Just carefully pry it off and put silicone over the holes and on the trim piece knubbies.
Hope that is it. Easy fix.
Sean

If you bring in water or snow into your LC its going to fog up. Even without bring in some source of moisture, the humidity in the air, espically eastern and western states, allow the windows to fog easy.
Like Harridig said.. Clean the film from the insides of the windows. That either comes from smoking, or just the sun heating the plastic dash and other parts inside and creating a film on the inside of the windows. Had this problem with my 1st gen 4runner and some others friends with foreign cars.

Using outside / fresh air setting, and in more drastic measures with the A/C and the heater set to full heat usually works, but still takes a while for the back windows to clear. I found that putting a dashmat in my 4runner helped prevent the filmy buildup too.

I do have one question though, With the defroster setting, does that turn on our A/C like some american cars do? Or why is the windshield defroster button LED amber colored where all the rest are green?

I did bring a little moisture. Snow on the snowboard and a little from clothing, but this never happened in my 2003 4 runner so I was a little perplexed. I can't remember if it happend in my 2006 LC....? When I turn on the Defrost it does turn the AC on which I don't like all of the time.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom