Window trim chrome delete (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Are most simply vinyl wrapping their chrome window trim or are you ordering the black Prado pieces? If so, any suggestions on where to buy and part numbers?

Wrapping the window trim and the front grill trim should be pretty easy and the amount of material is minima. Lots of self tutorials on trim pieces which I’m confident you could easily accomplish wrapping at home (trying to say you could keep replacing the pieces if they get scratched etc). As for orderin, here’s a site that usually has the Prada running board pieces.

Are most simply vinyl wrapping their chrome window trim or are you ordering the black Prado pieces? If so, any suggestions on where to buy and part numbers?
I had my chrome wrapped in 3M satin black. It was about $200 to get all the chrome done including the Lexus badges and trim. The curved trim around the fog lights are the challenge.

165D6A04-672D-424B-8769-3EEF9E57918D.jpeg

CB7C6FDC-D614-4A1C-9352-A76072DB16C0.jpeg

Last edited:
You probably could have Plasti Dipped them youself!
A lot of people use that stuff for all kinds of coatings and coverings.
And it's cheap!

You probably could have Plasti Dipped them youself!
A lot of people use that stuff for all kinds of coatings and coverings.
And it's cheap!
I think paint would hold up better. I didn’t want to remove the trim to paint it.

I've found the Prado black trim pieces for the front and rear doors but I can't find the pieces for the third/cargo windows.

The nice thing about Plasti Dip compared to paint is that it has a malleable rubbery type material so it doesn't chip when hit by a stone or something kicked up by the road.
BTY, forgot to mention that it looks really nice!

The nice thing about Plasti Dip compared to paint is that it has a malleable rubbery type material so it doesn't chip when hit by a stone or something kicked up by the road.
BTY, forgot to mention that it looks really nice!
I used Plasti Dip on my factory wheels on my 80 Series. Gunmetal gray turned out nice. It’s pretty durable.

Last edited:
I stopped by my local wrap shop (very reputable shop) and the guy didn't appreciate that I laughed at his quote to wrap mine. In fairness, the laugh wasn't me being rude, but it was me thinking he was playing an early April Fools joke on me.

To wrap:

- Front grill, surround only
- Door handle inserts
- windowline trim
- rear hatch center trim
- No badges, no roofrack trim

He wanted $500 plus tax.

I'll be attempting this myself soon, vinyl already ordered. Keep in mind, a tip from my buddy was to use Satin black wrap, not gloss and not matte. He said it's the only black to use, no matter the vehicle color (outside of already being a matte wrapped car).

I stopped by my local wrap shop (very reputable shop) and the guy didn't appreciate that I laughed at his quote to wrap mine. In fairness, the laugh wasn't me being rude, but it was me thinking he was playing an early April Fools joke on me.

To wrap:

- Front grill, surround only
- Door handle inserts
- windowline trim
- rear hatch center trim
- No badges, no roofrack trim

He wanted $500 plus tax.

I'll be attempting this myself soon, vinyl already ordered. Keep in mind, a tip from my buddy was to use Satin black wrap, not gloss and not matte. He said it's the only black to use, no matter the vehicle color (outside of already being a matte wrapped car).
My total came to a whopping $126.58. We did it in two sessions. I think they did use the 3M satin vinyl wrap on the install. This included every chrome piece on the vehicle including the tiny lettering. I just didn’t want to rip the chrome off to paint it.
5EE6A668-89C0-40B3-B7F9-E1FA5B28560F.jpeg

Yep, exactly. I expected to be in the neighborhood of $150-200 at this shop. As mentioned, they're a very reputable shop in town, my buddy at Porsche uses them and I knew they maybe a little higher than I was expecting, but knew it'd be a quality job and quality materials...$500 was still a major stretch for such little wrapping.

He even broke it down, in an apparent attempt to validate the quote, explaining it was only a couple hours of work but the material cost was what's so expensive. I guess he miss read that I was a doofus.

I just did this on my GX460. I used a combo of Plasti-dip, 3M vinyl wrap from Amazon, $7 Amazon wrap install kit, and a heat gun.
The vendor I ordered the vinyl wrap from is Metrorestyling on Amazon.

On the Large area, like the chrome grill area, and back door chrome, I used Plasti-dip.
On the door handles, window chrome, lower door chrome, and the front horizontal chrome - I used Vinyl wrap.

There are tons of youtube videos on plasti-dip and auto vinyl wrap.

IMG_8203.jpeg
IMG_8073.jpeg
IMG_8079.jpeg
IMG_8205.jpeg
IMG_8216.jpeg

Tex, what did you decide on this? Prices in Orange County seem crazy high for wrapping the trim.

I haven't given it anymore thought, been focused on the bumper and roof rack and now dealing with insurance from the fender bender with the uninsured a$$hole lol. I am not sure what I am going to do, not a big fan of plastidip from the times I've used it in the past but it is easy to do and easily reversible. I am considering the 2020 Lexus emblems for the front and rear and then possibly dropping the GX460 emblem or maybe plastidip or wrap. As for the window trim I'll likely have them wrapped but I doubt that I do it myself.

Last edited:
Are the emblems different from that year?

Yes, they are one solid emblem, black in color, not an embossed chrome outline like the 2010-2019 emblems.
Wether or not they have the same footprint though remains to be seen, I haven't purchased them to see about fitment.

Front grille emblem 53141-60090
Rear door emblem 90975-02164

Last edited:
I know this in an old thread but I found it when I was searching for the black window moldings. Garage Alpha doesn’t carry them anymore but the Black line window moldings fit as well.

CC1F08A8-0F38-4E80-B66E-A9E7D602A83B.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah I’m a dummy how the heck do I edit my post to delete the second picture!

Yeah I’m a dummy how the heck do I edit my post to delete the second picture!
You'll see an "✏️Edit" in the bottom left of your post, right next to the "🔔Report". You can go in there and just delete/edit what you want.
Easy, peasy! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom