Window trim chrome delete (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes sir the front doors if I remember correctly on the end have a little tiny Clíp that holds the rubber molding but that’s about it. Just be prepared to wash and wax underneath the molding before putting in the new ones because it will be filthy.

Just installed the driver's side rear door molding. Took a little more force than anticipated to remove the old molding and I bent it. Oh well.

Here is a picture of that rubber trim that cushions the driver's door. There is a tiny push clip that seats in the window molding to hold the rubber piece. I drilled a hole in the new window molding to hold the clip since the Prado pieces do not have the hole.

IMG_20230425_134000.jpg

Just installed the driver's side rear door molding. Took a little more force than anticipated to remove the old molding and I bent it. Oh well.

Here is a picture of that rubber trim that cushions the driver's door. There is a tiny push clip that seats in the window molding to hold the rubber piece. I drilled a hole in the new window molding to hold the clip since the Prado pieces do not have the hole.

View attachment 3307342
That’s what I remembered, I dropped that lil F’er and had a hell of a time finding it! The F line ones come pre-drilled. It makes a hell of a difference and much more durable than having them wrapped!!

That’s what I remembered, I dropped that lil F’er and had a hell of a time finding it! The F line ones come pre-drilled. It makes a hell of a difference and much more durable than having them wrapped!!

So the blackline molding/trim comes pre drilled and will likely have a better fit? I was just contemplating on which ones to order either the OEM blackline ones or the alpha garage prado replacements.

The Prado ones fit great, just like the black line. No difference in fit, likely the same part number if you check. I just did a quick drill on the Prado ones since I guess they don't have that rubber door molding like the GX models.
Garage Alpha has them way ($100) cheaper than ordering the black line via Lexus.
With the money you save you can get a sweet TRD billet oil cap.

IMG_20230407_100957.jpg

The Prado ones fit great, just like the black line. No difference in fit, likely the same part number if you check. I just did a quick drill on the Prado ones since I guess they don't have that rubber door molding like the GX models.
Garage Alpha has them way ($100) cheaper than ordering the black line via Lexus.
With the money you save you can get a sweet TRD billet oil cap.

View attachment 3307669

Mehh I think I'll just order OEM and skip the sweet oil cap lol

View attachment 3307342
Good stuff. I plan on doing this mod this summer.

Question for those that have put on the Prado trim: the driver's door rear section of the trim I'm having a seriously hard time getting it to stay down. Can't get the end clips to engage on anything to hold it.

Bothering the heck out of me. Anyone have any suggestions?

Question for those that have put on the Prado trim: the driver's door rear section of the trim I'm having a seriously hard time getting it to stay down. Can't get the end clips to engage on anything to hold it.

Bothering the heck out of me. Anyone have any suggestions?
Late on this but I’m having the same issue. Might tear into it this weekend, will let you know if I find a fix.

I’d like to delete the chrome on mine but I’m curious how the dark/satin wrap looks on the chrome bit on the side molding on the lower part of the doors on a white GX. Wondering if just color matching that part would look best. I hate chrome. Also I wonder how much it would cost or if would be a bad idea to remove the molding and just bondo or whatever the holes in the door. That seems like it would be way more expensive.

I’d like to delete the chrome on mine but I’m curious how the dark/satin wrap looks on the chrome bit on the side molding on the lower part of the doors on a white GX. Wondering if just color matching that part would look best. I hate chrome. Also I wonder how much it would cost or if would be a bad idea to remove the molding and just bondo or whatever the holes in the door. That seems like it would be way more expensive.
My opinion, avoid the last option. Unless you're a professional body man or spend the money, it will probably look bad. Also, this is a one way trip. You don't like it, try to sell it and prospective buyers don't like it, your done.
Stick with a few dollars of vinyl wrap and see how it looks, either black or matching color. The stuff is cheap enough for how much you'll need for the chrome trim.

Forgot to mention Plasti Dip: PLASTI DIP® - https://plastidip.com/
Easy to put on and easy to remove if you don't like it. Also probably the cheapest route to go!

Figured out the end clip seating on the front window trim. The rear most clip on the front doors needed to be trimmed. It was too long to engage the door...

Just picked up a 2023 and am wanting to chrome delete as well, got a quote of 1300.00….pass.

Does anyone know if the Prado kit fits 2023 models?

Just picked up a 2023 and am wanting to chrome delete as well, got a quote of 1300.00….pass.

Does anyone know if the Prado kit fits 2023 models?
If you don't mind doing it yourself, you can try Plasti Dip. Easy to use and if you screw it up in anyway, easy to remove and reapply.

If you don't mind doing it yourself, you can try Plasti Dip. Easy to use and if you screw it up in anyway, easy to remove and reapply.
Thanks! I've done Plasti Dip on my old 4runner and usually had great results so I may consider going this route. 1300.00 tp get the chrome wrapped is crazy.

Thanks! I've done Plasti Dip on my old 4runner and usually had great results so I may consider going this route. 1300.00 tp get the chrome wrapped is crazy.
$1300 buys an awful lot of Plasti Dip!! (or some armor for your rig!!! :clap:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom