winch with synthetic rope (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know if there is a retialer selling warn 9000 winches without the steel cable at a fair price or a 9000 with sythenticrope ? I am not looking for the warn crawler set-up as the rope is too short for me.

John:cheers:

Im pretty sure warn only sells their winches with the steel cable. You can always resell the steel cable on ebay to offset some of the synthetic purchase price.

best posted in Outfitting....

I managed to snap a synthetic rope this weekend....Warn 12k with 19.2k break strength rope.

I was stuck BAD...nuff said :)

I managed to snap a synthetic rope this weekend....Warn 12k with 19.2k break strength rope.

I was stuck BAD...nuff said :)

was the rope damaged beforehand?

what brand?

Thanks for the input so far.

was the rope damaged beforehand?

what brand?

It may have been, I have used it about 7 or 8 times since I got it about 2 months ago (I have been wheeling a lot).

Either way, it is toast now :)

Superline was the brand...so much for about $250 worth of rope! woohoo!

It may have been, I have used it about 7 or 8 times since I got it about 2 months ago (I have been wheeling a lot).

That was the best $250 you ever spent!!! Small price to possibility save your life and the life of those around when it snapped...

-Ammo

That was the best $250 you ever spent!!! Small price to possibility save your life and the life of those around when it snapped...

-Ammo

I ABSOLUTELY agree. It snapped and shot like a bullet toward the treeline...never whipped, never headed toward me.

If that was wire rope it would have destroyed a few trucks on its way past...they were about 20-30 feet to the sides of the rope.

Thanks for the perspective, I am strangely calm about the loss of money, perhaps this is why (that and I am not still sitting out there!).

Can you buy one of the repair or splice kits for the rope?

The Warn winches, other than the new Rock Crawler, comw with steel cable. I have spent a few minutes on the phone w/ Warn about the very subject. Best senario I came up with, order winch with synthetic, replace cables, then sell stell cable. It's new!

It snapped and shot like a bullet toward the treeline...

Interesting. I have read that the synthetic winch line will simply "drop" when it breaks. Yours didn't? Can you elaborate?

-B-

thanks for the info.

as far as a snapped rope goes, I know cimbing ropes have a rating to the number of falls before they recommend that they are retired. Sounds like synthetic winch cables may need the some kind of rating. But it would be very hard to do.
j

my 5/16 steel cable snapped second time of use. was stuck real bad too. it shot towards the tree too, straight shot.
now i have 3/8 syn rope 55' on the drum and a 25' and 50' extension.

Interesting. I have read that the synthetic winch line will simply "drop" when it breaks. Yours didn't? Can you elaborate?

-B-

only interesting since I didn't give all the information :)

I had to extend with a tree saver and one tow strap to make the distance to the treeline.

The tow strap provided the snapping power to yank the line back to the trees.

The rope itself would have dropped had I not used the strap.

only interesting since I didn't give all the information.

Thanks Dan. Its best to give all the information lest someone come away with a completely wrong impression as I did. My take-away from this is to have 100' or 2x100' winch extensions from synthetic rope instead of using snatch straps. Otherwise, you're right back where you are with metal rope.

-B-

Yep. I took away a different message...

Don't friggin wheel in lake beds with a 6000' vehicle :)

DSC04304.jpg

Didn't we learn not to wheel in lake beds last week?

TR

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom