Winch wiring changes? 12V (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2fpower

SILVER Star
Threads
On my BJ73 - now LS powered, I added a HF winch, and when I ran it to spool in the line, the wires on the car started over-heating. I assume these are the wires feeding power from the alternator.

Anyone have this issue before? Do I need to add larger gauge wire to the alternator?

to be clear it was the white and green wires on the right side of the battery terminal in pic below...

Thanks,

C3437555-25E8-4781-BB54-6C8DD0AAA86A.jpeg

E0E9AFA7-4386-4E17-B3AD-BD88555B0ACB.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, confirm what wires are -> "wires on the car started over-heating"

The only high current paths should be the wires to/from the winch solenoid/motor and battery and potentially the alternator hot wire if it not sized correctly in your LS conversion. If it actually is the alternator hot (should be obvious - it's the thicker wire from the alternator to a fusible-link and to the battery +) then you need to know what is the max output of your alternator and size the wire appropriately based on the max current.

cheers,
george.

Well, confirm what wires are -> "wires on the car started over-heating"

The only high current paths should be the wires to/from the winch solenoid/motor and battery and potentially the alternator hot wire if it not sized correctly in your LS conversion. If it actually is the alternator hot (should be obvious - it's the thicker wire from the alternator to a fusible-link and to the battery +) then you need to know what is the max output of your alternator and size the wire appropriately based on the max current.

cheers,
george.

Great information....

it is a bosch 125 AMP alternator. Looks like that would be a 6awg. Do I still need a Fusable link ?? All the LS sites don't discuss it.

1654277578939.png

Yeah, fusible link or MIDI fuse would be a GOOD idea. Pretty well anything that taps straight off the battery or feeds to the battery should be fused. Consider also what would happen in an accident where a +ve feed gets pinched and shorted to the chassis/body. Plenty of power that could start a fire. Always think of worst case situations...

cheers,
george.

good point.... time to run some more wires.....

I will go see what the original GM harness had on it as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom