Winch on an 80- cheapest method (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
what is the cheapest method to getting a winch on the front of an fj80. The best i can find is tjm's bumper at 350-450 depending on vendor. is there any other attchment method to used. maybe one that can be taken on and off, somewhat portable.

You could go to a fab shop and see what it would take to get a front hitch installed to run a multi-mount WARN. It would be weak and have some major drawbacks, but it would work.

Or...

1. Buy a new front bar (Slee, ARB, TJM,...)
2. Buy a WARN M12k
3. Drool...

Unfortunately 80 series and cheap do not go togther.

The 80 series is heavy and requires a sturdy mount and a lot of winch. IIRC the TJM bumpers require additional pieces to put a winch in them. I could be wrong there.

I believe that the winch mount should be one of the last places to short-cut. A failure could be catasthophic.

Just my perspective.

D-

Kurt,

Did you go outside and take that just for this thread?

[quote author=Rogue link=board=2;threadid=8088;start=msg68459#msg68459 date=1069894818]
Kurt,

Did you go outside and take that just for this thread?
[/quote]

Yes. I deserve a gold star sticker :flipoff2:

wAAAY TOO much time on the lad's hands :rolleyes:

I have a front receiver mount that I had fabricated for the Warn Multi-mount setup. Its basically a piece of 6" C-channel steel with a receiver tube welded into it. I originally mounted it under the frame rails but the winch ended up to low to the ground and reduced the approach angle to much. Later switched it to above the rails and then cut a hole in the stock bumper. Worked great until someone backed into the corner of the bumper and removed the plastic cap and folding the corner under. I have an ARB now for better protection. I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow and post them.

Cheapest winch? Thats easy. Get out and push "wench". :D
Sean

Here are some pictures of the front receiver mount I had fabricated for the Warn Multi-mount Xd9000i. This was also very handy to maneuver trailers around in tight spaces.

The receiver when mounted sticks out about 1/2 inch and when painted up looked real good. The license plate can still be mounted to cover it or one of the decorative inserts put in. You need to reach under to insert the pin but it isn't that difficult.

very nice job. Is that expoxy or powder coated?

Rust-Oleum on the receiver and stock finish on the bumper. They've been laying around the garage for the last year getting beat up. I had the receiver in use for about seven years mostly in Socal but has very little rust considering the surface was not preped in any way.

Geeze P-,

Let's clean that bumper up a bit, OK?

How does a mall cruiser get all beat up like that? :D

D-

I think it may have been to the mall once to tow home my buddy’s taco. If you ever saw me in person you would know that's a true statement. I'm not what you would say dressed for success! Lots of highway miles are the cause of those chips.

That 'splains it :D

:cheers: D-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom