Winch help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm getting around to the winch as far as fixing things that came broke from the PO, my winch doesnt' work, I have no idea what kind it is and I haven't got the foggiest idea where to start sorting it out. Any advice on where to start? where/what to look for in the way of identifying what kind it is? Also I was reading in the tech section where the guy rebuilt an old Warn winch and wired it to be able to control it through the cab, am I wrong in thinking that all winches are so similar that if I rebuilt and rewired mine there would be minimal differences between what he did and what I would have to do.  Thanks again guys.

The key is to determine, based on the wiring, whether the winch works at all or not. Simply run a ground and hot to the motor and ensure it works. Reverse and test power out.

Can you pull a pic of it and post it up? There are SO many different winches out there, you kinda need to ensure this one is worth reworking. (Some ancient Ramsey units are REALLY slow and IMO not worth rebuilding)

If the pic is on yer hard drive, you can upload it when you compose a message. See where it says "attach" and then "Browse"? Press "browse" and you can locate the pic and upload. (jpg or gif formats only, 100k file size max)

Here's the best pic of the winch that I could find. Thanks guys

Not a good pic but it looks like a very weak winch to me, I am not even going to start on that bumper.

Think it's custom?

The bumper was made by the past owner he claimed it was for the winch although as I think back he never did actually show me that the winch worked and judging by other things on the cruiser i don't have a hard time believing that it never did

PO's you got'a love'em, but you really want to take them out back and put'em down.....

Good luck on the winch!

Mark

did some photo enhancing...didn't help. Looks like it might be a winch from a wrecker tho, possibly a Ramsey. Hopefully you can spot some manuf numbers on it somewhere!

8)Re: Winch help

Scarbo. Don't listen to these guys. That grill guard has "character" ;)

You may want to cut that lower section off though so you can get a couple of miles closer to the hill! lol. Other than that, you'll always get some comments on it. Maybe even from all those pretty girls you always see out wheelin'!

I vote to keep it. :D 8) Anybody can mail order one and bolt it on. (That's what I did.)

And I bet with a good closeup of that winch you'll get more interest. If it really is off a tow truck it may not be as gutless as you think??

lose the bumper keep the winch if it works!

only my opinion

Re:  8)Winch help

Scarbo. Don't listen to these guys. That grill guard has "character" ;)

And I bet with a good closeup of that winch you'll get more interest. If it really is off a tow truck it may not be as gutless as you think??

Character is a good word....I bet cattle/deer just skim over the truck at speed! lol

If it IS off a tow rig, it will be full of guts, but ignorantly slow...

If Ledge had that bumper on his Honda Civic, it would have been like a Gallager Show!!!!!

Thanks for the support theo but I actually don't like it that much and have been planning all along to design and build one since I'm a lowly student who doesn't have the money to buy one. However my first priority is to get it running good. Plus since I thought I had a winch I didn't want to remove it until I had something to take it's place. Stupid oversight on my part not finding out till now that the winch actually didn't work. I got the impression from the guy's kid I bought it from that he used this to test the strength and durability of small trees. Oh well at least yall are not afraid to be honest with your opinion. Oh, and I'll try to get around to taking some closer more detailed pics of the winch and also look for any tags/numbers. Thanks guys.

If Ledge had that bumper on his Honda Civic, it would have been like a Gallager Show!!!!!

It would have been like a huge quisinart(sp) Not only would it have gutted it instantly, it also would have made the steaks and hamburger. BTW I will have pictures of the civic up once I can find the money to pay Walmart for the picture development..........To bad I didnt have a picture of the cow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom