winch for 45 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Opions needed!

What do you guys think the "best" winch is that I can mount on my HJ45? I'd like to mount the winch directly to the stock front frame/bumber if possible without destroying them
Or, is the best way to go to remove the front bumber (save for the "unmolested" look later) and add an aftermarket bumper (ARB, Warn??) then add the winch?
I've had good results from Warn on the winch side but am wiiiiide open.

Cheers!

The PTO is pretty awesome, and it will work with the stock bumper. The downside is that you have to find one, and there are a lot of little bits that you need to get with it (PTO gearbox, pillow blocks, shafts, etc...)

If you're looking for an electric winch: 8274. The discussion is done. There are lots of options for mounting the winch--it just depends on what you want.

Dan

My 45 came with a dealer installed 8274 and a vinyl Toyota winch cover.

If you're concerned about the "best" winch there are a couple of things about the PTO winches to keep in mind...

1) If the truck dies, so does the winch

2) You stand right in front of the truck to operate it which is not the ideal spot. Better worded, it's the worst place to be.

3) If you get your shirt tail stuck in that badboy you're looking at a potential catastrophy.

If you have a need for a winch, go electric. If you just want one mostly for looks and like the idea of keeping your 45 original then you might have a reason to go PTO. For anyone that might rely on it though I personally think a PTO is a horrible choice.

Thanks!

Good info and appreciated. I am pretty set on an electric and i WILL likely need the winch. I've read good reviews on the Warn 8274 so that one catches my eye.

So...what about a bumper? I'm not bent on the stock one; as a matter of fact, would it be wise to "save" the stock one and scratch up an aftermarket one? If so, any good experience on looks, functionality and ease of install (read: minimal frame modifications).

Thanks!!

I know!!!

:frown:It's still at the paint shop...and will be for s i x l o n g w e e k s. I promise, as soon as it come home...I'll post.

8274 - done

Bumper Ideas:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/merchandise-storefront/75221-fj40-8274-bumpers.html
http://coolfj40.stores.yahoo.net/bumper.html
MAF 4+Plus Products

And then there is old skool :)
FJ40.jpg

If you're concerned about the "best" winch there are a couple of things about the PTO winches to keep in mind...

1) If the truck dies, so does the winch

2) You stand right in front of the truck to operate it which is not the ideal spot. Better worded, it's the worst place to be.

3) If you get your shirt tail stuck in that badboy you're looking at a potential catastrophy.

If you have a need for a winch, go electric. If you just want one mostly for looks and like the idea of keeping your 45 original then you might have a reason to go PTO. For anyone that might rely on it though I personally think a PTO is a horrible choice.

1) Yes if the truck dies it wouldn't work. But if you need a long pull the electric wouldn't last to long with a dead engine.

2) You don't stand in front of the winch to operate. You engage the drum from outside. You operate it from the driver's seat.

3) I would never leave the driver's seat while operated the winch. Besides the only reason you would be close enough to get your clothes caught in the cable would be you put yourself in front of the vehicle which is where you don't want to be in any case.

4) You can pull with a PTO all day long and it will never over heat.

Reason (1) is the one brought up most often. In the 35 years since I bought my first Land Cruiser I've never had a time I needed a winch that the engine wasn't running. I guess we don't have that deep rivers to cross in AZ. Now if you were talking shear pins that would be another story. :cheers:

1) Yes if the truck dies it wouldn't work. But if you need a long pull the electric wouldn't last to long with a dead engine.

2) You don't stand in front of the winch to operate. You engage the drum from outside. You operate it from the driver's seat.

3) I would never leave the driver's seat while operated the winch. Besides the only reason you would be close enough to get your clothes caught in the cable would be you put yourself in front of the vehicle which is where you don't want to be in any case.

4) You can pull with a PTO all day long and it will never over heat.

Reason (1) is the one brought up most often. In the 35 years since I bought my first Land Cruiser I've never had a time I needed a winch that the engine wasn't running. I guess we don't have that deep rivers to cross in AZ. Now if you were talking shear pins that would be another story. :cheers:

Rivers, flipped on it's side, at any angle that you'd prefer not running your engine, etc. There's a place for the PTO driven units for sure. I just can't see any advantage that would even come close to outweighing the disadvantages.

Rivers, flipped on it's side, at any angle that you'd prefer not running your engine, etc. There's a place for the PTO driven units for sure. I just can't see any advantage that would even come close to outweighing the disadvantages.

Just like everything in life there are two sides. This is no different. A dead engine is a advantage for electric. But that's only if it not a long pull. With a running engine the PTO beats the electric all day long on long pulls. Water crossing that kills the engine is the electric winch going to if it's under water? A vehicle on it's side is easier to right with another vehicle and a tow strap than trying to figure out something to strap it to so you right the vehicle and not just drag it. If there is nothing around a highlift jack would work better than any winch. The angle thing doesn't really come into play with the stock six. With the deep oil pan and as much oil as the engine holds Toyota designed to run at steep angles.

I have both PTO and electric winches to make my comparison. Since you didn't know that the PTO is operate from inside the vehicle I assume you have never owned a PTO winch.:cheers:

Just like everything in life there are two sides. This is no different.

:hmm:

Since you didn't know that the PTO is operate from inside the vehicle I assume you have never owned a PTO winch.:cheers:

Cool. And I'll assume from your defensive and pedantic remarks that you may have owned both varieties but your experience with either is limited to parroting what you've heard from others.

No clue about advantages or disadvantages in water and I'm guessing you aren't skidding logs in Phoenix on those "long pulls". That's a good one.

Electric winches are better in all but the most unusual of circumstances. The PTO winch has been on it's way to extinction in the 4x community for decades and there's a reason for it.

:cheers:

Well as far as "I'll assume from your defensive and pedantic remarks that you may have owned both varieties but your experience with either is limited to parroting what you've heard from others" I've owned my first Land Cruiser since 1974 can you say the same?

And as far as "I'm guessing you aren't skidding logs in Phoenix on those "long pulls". That's a good one." I have a second home in AZ. Check where the largest stand of Ponderosa Pine is in North America. My cabin is in the middle of the stand. While your checking out things look where some of the world record elk come from. All of AZ isn't desert and cactus. My long pulls have been mainly pulling back up hills in snow. I do know a guy in CT that uses his FJ25 with the PTO to pull logs.

Just seems to me most people say the PTO has to many disadvantages have never owned one. I don't understand how people can make claims this one is way better than one without ever trying both.

I'm done flame away.:cheers:

Well as far as "I'll assume from your defensive and pedantic remarks that you may have owned both varieties but your experience with either is limited to parroting what you've heard from others" I've owned my first Land Cruiser since 1974 can you say the same?

And as far as "I'm guessing you aren't skidding logs in Phoenix on those "long pulls". That's a good one." I have a second home in AZ. Check where the largest stand of Ponderosa Pine is in North America. My cabin is in the middle of the stand. While your checking out things look where some of the world record elk come from. All of AZ isn't desert and cactus. My long pulls have been mainly pulling back up hills in snow. I do know a guy in CT that uses his FJ25 with the PTO to pull logs.

Just seems to me most people say the PTO has to many disadvantages have never owned one. I don't understand how people can make claims this one is way better than one without ever trying both.

I'm done flame away.:cheers:

No flame here. I think you're right.

Try 'em both if you've got the opportunity. If you don't have the opportunity the electric would be the way I'd go nine times out of ten.

...and no, in '74 I had a hundred dollar piece of crap with a slant six. Seemed pretty dreamy at the time though.

In '85 I put a winch I bought surplus off the railroad at the top of my driveway so I could get up it in the winter. Since those days I've come to some reasonably sound impressions of different winches and their strong points and would have a tough time encouraging a new user to ever go PTO. I agree that they have their place though and occasionally think it'd be nice to have one now. It wouldn't be worked much though.

I believe the Warn 8274 is universally respected as a great winch here on MUD and most anywhere you ask. The strength of the design and long production run are definite pluses. To me there is a more basic reason and that is the 8274 suits the 40 series Landcruiser look. They both have a very utilitarian, all business no frills type of attitude. It looks and fits better between the frame rails than the planetary designs by Warn and others IMO. You can buy a higher rated winch but not a "better fit" for the 40 series.

As a Toyota fan I also appreciate the originality of the PTO winch. I have never used one but would not hesitate to buy a rig with one already on it. In fact an original PTO winch would add value IMO, but I wouldn't take the time and expense to collect and add one to a rig. I would not remove one either - I would learn to use it and I imagine learn to "HEART" it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom