Wilson Switch Installed, small problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So last night I got my wilson switch done as per this drawing:

Wilson.jpg

Woa! What a difference, the truck has never started so easy or smoothly as it did this morning, even in summer (-10C this morning). I even had a fully working superglow system before my Wilson switch and it was nowhere near as nice to start.

Interestingly when I push my Wilson switch button the glow system works perfectly but my glow indicator light burns out instantly. I even replaced the bulb to double check. :doh:

Now so far as I know (I believe Greg_B's write up taught me) The 7.5A Glow fuse does nothing but light the indicator light, So when I spliced in my power for my wilson switch I am not sure what would cause the immediate frying of the bulb.

I even verified the wiring (old matching color code method) before I cut the splice in. I also verified with a multi-meter which side of the bulb socket was ground and which was +24V. Any thoughts as to why this may be happening?

My only thought is that it may have something to do with my glow timer, which is still functioning perfectly, I would have removed it if I could for the life of me find it. I disassembled the entire passenger side of the interior looking for it, to no avail. Although I did find evidence of the POs apparent love of wiring, so for all I know it could be anywhere by now...or removed all together.

The glow timer is behind the driver kick panel on the HJ 60. I wired a wilson switch like you (I think, it's beena while...) on my 87 HJ60 and my glow bulb does not blow. Not sure why yours does:confused:. What kind of stepdown resistor do you use to drop the voltage to the plugs? I don't have one and already I went through a set of plugs in 6 months.

sounds good to me.

the "Wilson switch" is a great up-grade IMHO

all i did was to take the yellow sensor wire, and wire that into a momentary switch that i installed on the dash, which has the same effect of increasing the glow time.

:)

Hmmm.. Now I am REALLY confused.

I was measuring voltage in the bulb socket, If I measure from a ground to the positive pin (of the socket) I get 23.6V, no problem here. Measured from the Other side of the socket (ground side) to ground, get 0.00V. Again, no problem here.

Measure from Pin to Pin in the socket, 0.00V.....W......T.....F.....

Not only is that a bizarre problem, but why the hell would it blow the bulb?

I am as sure as can be that I was making proper contact on both pins of the socket, am I losing my mind and this is simpler than I think? Or is this a very strange issue? What do you recommend.

The glow timer is behind the driver kick panel on the HJ 60. I wired a wilson switch like you (I think, it's beena while...) on my 87 HJ60 and my glow bulb does not blow. Not sure why yours does. What kind of stepdown resistor do you use to drop the voltage to the plugs? I don't have one and already I went through a set of plugs in 6 months.

Interesting, the FSM says in the cowl on the passenger side, first of all...WTF is a cowl? and why would it say passenger side....regardless, I will check tonight.

I did not add a resistor to the system, that is just the factory glow plug resistor.

Last edited:
In the stock system, the timer is in the circuit with the indicator bulb, whereas you have it wired so the full juice of the battery is shunted to the bulb when the glow relay is activated. I am thinking that the timer might control/lower the voltage to a little bulb like that. It's a theory.

BTW, the cowling is directly in front of the windshield and comes down the side flanks of the cab, down each side in front of the doors. Look inside, in front of your passenger door and you will find that the plastic cover can be pulled out from the side of the wall under the glovebox and then you will be able to access the timer.

BTW, the cowling is directly in front of the windshield and comes down the side flanks of the cab, down each side in front of the doors. Look inside, in front of your passenger door and you will find that the plastic cover can be pulled out from the side of the wall under the glovebox and then you will be able to access the timer.

Nope, checked there, unless it is stamped fuel relay (or similar). I seriously doubt it though as the connector did not match the FSM at all. FSM shows a 13pin connector to the timer, the fuel relay had an 8 pin IIRC. The only other thing in there was the "seatbelt warning relay."

If I wasn't so damn lazy I would get out there and disassemble the driver side cowl to look.

Regardless, I have a hard time believing that the timer is causing my bizarre voltage readings (+24V pin to ground, 0V pin to pin). Although I have no idea what else it could be.

Ah, i see you you have and 1986 HJ60. There is no 'timer' - there is a computer module doodaf in the drivers side cowl that handles that function - remove the panel in the driver's footwell and you will find it there.

Here's one problem with your manual set-up though- the EDIC also controls emergency engine shut off if the oil pressure crashes- disconnecting it from your system will leave your engine vulnerable. There is a solution - look for the Engine Watchdog TM3, made in Australia, which handles that function and integrates well with manual glow systems. That's what i have in my truck, which has a 2H out of a 1986 HJ60- no EDIC, manual glow, and TM3. works perfectly, and has done so for the last 8 months.

I would assume your truck has the superglow computer it should be taken out... after taking mine apart and finding a burnt spot on the board... A wilson switch was an awesome change... I actually quite prefer controlling the length of glow myself... and I think my truck prefers it too!

Ah, i see you you have and 1986 HJ60. There is no 'timer' - there is a computer module doodaf in the drivers side cowl that handles that function - remove the panel in the driver's footwell and you will find it there.

You are kidding me, first I've heard of it. No mention whatsoever in my FSM about a "superglow computer", just timers everywhere.

Here's one problem with your manual set-up though- the EDIC also controls emergency engine shut off if the oil pressure crashes- disconnecting it from your system will leave your engine vulnerable. There is a solution - look for the Engine Watchdog TM3, made in Australia, which handles that function and integrates well with manual glow systems. That's what i have in my truck, which has a 2H out of a 1986 HJ60- no EDIC, manual glow, and TM3. works perfectly, and has done so for the last 8 months.

Sounds like money I didn't intend to spend, if I leave the computer connected the EDIC will still work correctly? Funny, I thought the EDIC was a relay in the engine bay that moved the arm to the injector pump to cut fuel. Are you telling me that the EDIC relay gets it's open/close signal from this "superglow computer"?

Connect your bulb to the output of your superglow relay before the glowplug load resistor. This will give you a true indication of whether your glowplugs are getting power, the way you have it wired right now just tells you that you are pressing the switch. It might also sort out the problem you are having with the bulb.

The 7.5A fuse as per your diagram also supplies current to your superglow relays coil, not just the bulb.

Measure from Pin to Pin in the socket, 0.00V.....W......T.....F.....

I would verify this measurement again and by taking an ohms reading.
With power off measure the resistance of the negative going side of the bulb socket to a good verified ground. It should be a couple of ohms.

Last edited:
Predictably, human error is at fault. Not sure how I managed to do it, but basically I had wired it backward to the point that I had +24V on both sides of the bulb. Thanks to rockcrawler:

Connect your bulb to the output of your superglow relay before the glowplug load resistor. This will give you a true indication of whether your glowplugs are getting power, the way you have it wired right now just tells you that you are pressing the switch. It might also sort out the problem you are having with the bulb.

I had decided to re-wire it anyway, after the re-wire all is now well.

Anybody wanna buy a timer/afterglow relay? LOL.

Thanks Mud!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom