will the OEM shock give me a more comfortable floating drive feeling? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The biggest improvement to my ~250K mile front-end ride quality was - BY FAR - the replacement of worn lower ball joints. Search threads here for the testing and replacement. procedures. Not to dissuade you from spending money and time, but sway bar bushing and end link bushings aren't likely the cause of "jarring" ride.
Noted! Thanks!

Noted! Thanks!
Still - do the shocks, but here's my assessment of the impact of LBJ's.

One of the most noticeable examples of worn suspension components impacting ride and handling came with my Tacoma. When I bought it I planned to replace the suspension from the get-go but started with new 5100 shocks. I thought it was less floaty than the worn-out OEM shocks but I didn't like the harsh ride.

As soon as I started replacing worn-out ball joints, tie rod ends, bushings, and other components, the ride improved incrementally with each replacement. So after I replaced all of the old worn out suspension components, it drives like a new truck. In suspensions, it's all connected.

I took the same approach and replaced all components on the 100's suspension. Now it drives like a new truck.

The OEM shocks are fine if you have a 31 lb tire. Get a 55 lb tire inflated to 40 psi or so and you’re gonna feel bumps. Ive got new oems on both of mine and can’t say that i get a creamy ride.
I got e rated ( 10 ply tires at 40 psi) with OEM shocks and ride is excellent and smooth.

Exactly! You don’t have to use the search function to find someone opining on ride comfort and thats good. Sharing opinions on these things promotes the team sport of it and builds a reservoir of knowledge.

I’ve put about 300k miles on a 100 series lc and personally replaced upper control arm bushings, upper and lower ball joints, cv boots, bearings, both upper and lower control arm bushings on the rear, steering rack bushings, etc. etc. Ive been through several sets of tires and noticed differences with each.

Swap these two babies out last night, I immediately feel the difference, I am so happy with this change even though I found my radiator is leaking now... :rofl:
Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 10.22.16 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 10.23.17 AM.png

Recently replaced shocks on my 99lc with oem. Ride is sweet... btw, the shocks came with all washers, bushings, and top nuts. About $220 to my door from Toyota dealer in Colorado Springs.

Recently replaced shocks on my 99lc with oem. Ride is sweet... btw, the shocks came with all washers, bushings, and top nuts. About $220 to my door from Toyota dealer in Colorado Springs.
That is amazing, my cost 389 total

I just swap these two rear shocks with OEM last weekend. With all four OEM shocks installed, I feel much more smooth than before, particularly these 4 OEM shocks significantly release the vibration when I stop there, stepping on the brake pad, and have the shift on the drive slot.

Honestly, if you have these “OESpectrum” or some shocks which is not a good brand on your LC100, you should replace them with OEM asap.

I just checked the old "OESpectrum", all the rubber washers are craked and unshaped, you can see the top of the right side one on the picture even though the PO told me he just replaced the shocks about a year. And the most ridiculous thing is they use 24 mm top nut for front shock and 19mm top nut for the rear, these blend ass nuts cost me a lot of time to figure out their size without a good sight under the car.

Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 8.05.58 PM.png

I still don’t quite understand how swapping shocks would soften the compression of springs, which are the ones that are 99% determining the stiffness/softness of a suspension, especially on the compression stroke.

I still don’t quite understand how swapping shocks would soften the compression of springs, which are the ones that are 99% determining the stiffness/softness of a suspension, especially on the compression stroke.
I think it depends on the valving and type of replacement shock. So many variables to consider. The good news is we have a myriad of shock, spring, and TB replacement options. There should be something to suit just about anybody's taste.

I can tell you it is a sad day when you learn shocks are no longer available for your 30-year-old Japanese vintage car from any vendor or OEM at any price. I don't think we will ever have that problem.

In my case, I don't think the issue is the springs. All the rubber cushions are damaged, at least two of them have metal-to-metal hitting for sure when driving. I think this causes some kind of “Resonance”, then I can feel crack and vibration when stopping at the red light.

And also the OEM metal washers are very important. OEM front shock has three different types of washers and rear has two different types. Some washers in the specific position can exactly fit in the hole of the mounting bracket. I think it will increase the stabilization.

From my experience if everything is stock on weight aspect of your Lc, the factory oem shocks are still the best ones to use if you are aiming for that soft cushy ride. Like what others have mentioned here, once you increase the mass dynamics of your 4x4, compression + rebound settings play a huge role in the overall ride (comfort) experience. I have tried almost all foreign and domestic suspension brands but the one that stands out the most is the Koni Raid. I remember pulling the factory oem shocks out of an LR Disco 1 and installed the Raid, now the crappy LR ride felt like it was an all factory 2004 LC. Absolutely night and day. The disco1’s set up was bigger heavier 10-ply tires.

the factory shock do have a very smooth ride but after the OEM shocks started to leak and wear out I decided to replace them with some Monroe shocks from advanced auto (don't judge me I was expecting to put the lift on soon and didn't want to spend a lot of cash) I noticed very little difference to the ride quality between OEM and the Cheapo Monroe's and they had all new bushings and hardware included, i was very impressed with the quality. just my 2 cents hope it helps
@TRDdrew Any regrets on the Monroe shocks? I'm ready to pull off my OME's and was going to go with OEM but the "al la carte" system for OEM is expensive...would love your input...I have OEM bumpers an no additional parts that add significant weight. I'm just looking for a better ride/feel. Thanks!

Last edited:
Deleted

Last edited:
@TRDdrew Any regrets on the Monroe shocks? I'm ready to pull off my OME's and was going to go with OEM but the "al la carte" system for OEM is expensive...would love your input...I have OEM bumpers an no additional parts that add significant weight. I'm just looking for a better ride/feel. Thanks!
honestly I had 0 complaints for the 6 months that I had them on. Rode very nice and once I installed my OME lift all of my factory suspension went on my buddies truck including those shock and that was about 2 years ago. Im fairly certain he still has them one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom