will the OEM shock give me a more comfortable floating drive feeling? (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I finally can not take any more of my LC100's aftermarket "OESpectrum" shocks. this shock set came from the previous owner, he said it is better than the OEM because it is harder, but one of the reasons I want to buy the LC100 originally is that I heard this car will have a very smooth kind of creamy drive feeling. But my lc100 with "OESpectrum" feels a little jumping around. Speak it exactly, I can feel every little pits on the road in my LC100 currently. So I have some questions:
1. will the OEM shocks give me a more comfortable floating drive feeling? I am not that picky actually, I just want the shock to filter out some of the small bumpings...
2. Do I need/or safe to use a pipe wrench to hold the "new" rear shocks body when I install it back? (I know I probably need this solution when I take the old out)
3. I will need total 16 metal washers for all 4 new shocks right? and below is a list I plan to order, is anything wrong there? (LC100 2004 NO AHC)

9094802170​
Shock Mount Washer (Rear)
CUSHION, NO. 2(FOR REAR SHOCK ABSORBER); CUSHION, NO. 3(FOR REAR SHOCK ABSORBER).
9094802174​
Shock Mount Washer (Front)
9094802175​
9094802176​
4853169835​
Shock Absorber (Left, Right, Rear)
SHOCK, REAR LEFT; SHOCK, REAR RIGHT.
9094802173​
RETAINER
CUSHION, NO. 1(FOR REAR SHOCK ABSORBER); SHOCK ABSORBER CUSHION(FOR REAR).
4851169585​
Shock Absorber (Left, Right, Front)

Thank you so much for any suggestion!

Last edited:
the factory shock do have a very smooth ride but after the OEM shocks started to leak and wear out I decided to replace them with some Monroe shocks from advanced auto (don't judge me I was expecting to put the lift on soon and didn't want to spend a lot of cash) I noticed very little difference to the ride quality between OEM and the Cheapo Monroe's and they had all new bushings and hardware included, i was very impressed with the quality. just my 2 cents hope it helps

the factory shock do have a very smooth ride but after the OEM shocks started to leak and wear out I decided to replace them with some Monroe shocks from advanced auto (don't judge me I was expecting to put the lift on soon and didn't want to spend a lot of cash) I noticed very little difference to the ride quality between OEM and the Cheapo Monroe's and they had all new bushings and hardware included, i was very impressed with the quality. just my 2 cents hope it helps
I think that "oespectrum" is from Monroe...come with hardware is very nice...these oem washers are almost $120...

The OEM shocks are fine if you have a 31 lb tire. Get a 55 lb tire inflated to 40 psi or so and you’re gonna feel bumps. Ive got new oems on both of mine and can’t say that i get a creamy ride.

I can give my best guess of the real story behind that "OEspectrum", this LC100 actually under the name of the seller's dad, his dad obvious just come from the middle east some country, so that old man has a very strong feeling for the LC100 like me, then he bought this LC. but the fact is you probably can not handle that big car when you really old and have a small garage door. His dad definitely hit the wall of the garage a couple of times when parking (it cost me about 300 to fix dents later), then his son push him to sell it. So his son gets some monkey idea of quick fixing before he sold this car to me for making this LC looking good. So I can find he use some cheap stuff here there, that "OESpectrum" shock just one of them, it is cheap but maybe work fine for some people who prefer harder shocks, but it is not what I am looking for...

Feeling 'cracks in the road' and 'jumping around' sounds less like shocks and more like worn suspension components to me. Figure out what is wrong first, then replace stuff.

Feeling 'cracks in the road' and 'jumping around' sounds less like shocks and more like worn suspension components to me. Figure out what is wrong first, then replace stuff.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will do this inspection when I replace the OEM shocks, that is because I plan to swap all none-OEM parts that previous own installed out...

Reactions: MJK
The OEM shocks are fine if you have a 31 lb tire. Get a 55 lb tire inflated to 40 psi or so and you’re gonna feel bumps. Ive got new oems on both of mine and can’t say that i get a creamy ride.
I'm not sure there are more comfortable shock options, though. Most everything non-OEM is either aimed at being cheap or "sporty".

Heavier (and often firmer) tires might make the ride less cushy, but I think OEM shocks are still probably the best option if simple comfort is the goal.

I have OEM (Toyota) shocks on my LX (I removed AHC). It is a soft, comfy ride. I have driven an LC with NitroCharger shocks and can confirm that there is a big difference between how they feel. NitroCharger's gave a stiff, truck-like feel, the OEM's give a softer feel. (Both rigs have OME torsion bars, 2865 rear springs and LT tires so the comparison is pretty close.)
So personal preference for shocks.
I'll second what was said about inspecting the rest of the suspension - sway bars etc. They make a difference too.
Hope that helps a little in your decision about keeping the OESpectrum or getting OEM.

For reference I went from FOX shocks to OEM and felt a difference on road but it won't help with the "feeling every crack in the road" type of symptom.

A thicker sidewall truck tire or higher tire pressures will have this effect, so will worn bushings , but I also have noticed mostly just all the crap in my doors,glovebox,etc. is making all the noise,

OEM shocks themselves actually ARE pretty cheap, surprisingly so. As you have noticed, they come with new bushings, but not the metal washers, which are definitely NOT cheap. Hopefully the previous owner didn't trash those? As others have said, they DO provide a cushy ride, they DON'T hold up to hard-core off-roading (have blown the seals on a few), and things like worn lower ball joints can cause you to feel every crack in the road even with brand new, cushy shocks. Good luck!

OEM shocks themselves actually ARE pretty cheap, surprisingly so. As you have noticed, they come with new bushings, but not the metal washers, which are definitely NOT cheap. Hopefully the previous owner didn't trash those? As others have said, they DO provide a cushy ride, they DON'T hold up to hard-core off-roading (have blown the seals on a few), and things like worn lower ball joints can cause you to feel every crack in the road even with brand new, cushy shocks. Good luck!
You right man, those 16 washers are 120+ USD, I just ordered them, the PO trashed the old ones definitely because I could see all shiny washers from those OESpectdrum shocks~ even the top nut is 24mm...I have to buy two different sizes of spinning head wrench for getting rid of them for another 60 USD...

Do you have the Toyota torsion bars & springs? If not, and you have heavier ones - which all aftermarket are, then those have a bigger impact than shocks IMO. You can fix that by adding weight to the car though - so might be time for a front and rear bumper and roof rack and expedition gear and.. :D

Also the super floaty suspension is the AHC one, which is not really worth to fit to a car that came without it (not sure if LC's ever had it in North America or if it was an LX thing only).

Do you have the Toyota torsion bars & springs? If not, and you have heavier ones - which all aftermarket are, then those have a bigger impact than shocks IMO. You can fix that by adding weight to the car though - so might be time for a front and rear bumper and roof rack and expedition gear and.. :D
after this shock changing, the only thing not OEM on this car are the CV axles (brake rotor and pads aftermarket for sure ), my next change will be all the sway bar cushions, link bar cushions, front diff cushions .etc

Also the super floaty suspension is the AHC one, which is not really worth to fit to a car that came without it (not sure if LC's ever had it in North America or if it was an LX thing only).
I really appreciate that my LC does not come with that AHC, I just feel this aftermarket shock set might be a little too hard, but after reading all the reply I figured that there may be some other problem, 17 years car right? "It is what it is" then I just keep swapping as much stuff as I can...

Funny thing at this moment: this LC kind help me to lose weight, I am a big guy, I lost about 10 lb after I owning my LC because of the "daily project after dinner"~much better than gym membership...

after this shock changing, the only thing not OEM on this car are the CV axles (brake rotor and pads aftermarket for sure ), my next change will be all the sway bar cushions, link bar cushions, front diff cushions .etc
The biggest improvement to my ~250K mile front-end ride quality was - BY FAR - the replacement of worn lower ball joints. Search threads here for the testing and replacement. procedures. Not to dissuade you from spending money and time, but sway bar bushing and end link bushings aren't likely the cause of "jarring" ride.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom