Will I notice a difference in my truck when the knuckle's are re-done? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
My 87 FJ-60 is going into the 4wheel drive shop Monday to have the front axle rebuilt. The shop is going to repalce the seals, knuckle bearings, inner axle seals, wheel bearings, and the remainder of the gaskets and shims as needed. The truck has 234,000 miles, and I am not sure if the job has ever been done before. While at the shop, he is also replacing the front shackle bushings, with SOR poly bushings, and the shocks with stock Toyota shocks. So what will I notice when the job is done? Will the truck drive better?
The shop is charging $560.00 to rebuild the front axle, and $150.00 to replace the bushings and shocks, and $45.00 to align the front end(adj drag link,etc) are these fair prices?

Thanks everyone,
Zack :beer:

Does that $560 quote for the knuckles include the parts? Or are you supplying parts on top of the $560?

For the most part, rebuilding the knuckles just keeps things from wearing--you won't get any improved handling, if that's what you're asking, but then again, you won't get those nasty greasy spots on your garage floor where your front tires rest!

Any difference you notice probably will be the result of the new bushings and shocks.

Labor on my front axle rebuild was about $450, in NYC area.

if your knuckle bearings are shot you will notice a difference, if your wheelbearings are toast or out of adjustment you will notice a differene, if your shocks are toast you will notice a difference.

I would sudjest checking the tie rod ends and relay rods as well, the combo of these being worn, the bushing, the shocks, the bearings can/will make it drive like new.

maybe if one of your wheel bearings is pulling the truck to one side or the other than maybe...But i think the bearings would have to be pretty bad for that.

damn you pimp posting up while I type.

No I am supplying the parts for the job, his cost is labor only

Zack

That almost seems a little high for just labor, but I've never had any of these things done to my rig. Has anyone gotten this done before?

Holy crud, am I lucky or what. I bought the parts( tube seals, wheel seals, knuckle bearings at my NAPA, and wiper seals, hub gaskets and nut lock rings at the local Toyota dealer at 20% off) about $100 total and had my trusty chasiss shop do the labor(the shop that buys parts daily from my NAPA store whom I've know for more than 10 years and whom I buy dognuts for several times a month) for $220. Not bad apparently.
Life can be good sometimes( excluding loosing your igniter in the middle of nowhere).
Big difference there being no more drips under the knuckles. Damn, that still leaves the pinion seals and the oil pan gasket.

Russ

p.s. when I say my NAPA you know I mean the NAPA I work at.

Oh, yeah, after the knuckle rebuild there will be a slight lean of the truck to the passenger side ...

This is from you wallet becoming significantly lighter ...

Sorry ... couldn't resist.

:D

Cahil

Mike I got a place that will do it for you and will save you a bunch from the quote ya got, PM me and I'l stear ya the right way...........down to Puyallup, prolly $400-500 ish + parts, and I TRUST them 110%. I'd do it for/with you but my time in limited as well

John

freeamerica said:
I don't know about other parts of the country, but if I could find someone to rebuild my front axle for $560 in labor, I'd take it!

My 60 has been a lawn ornament since April, simply because I haven't had the time to do it myself. Blew the axle seal and at least one bearing to hell - to the point of not driveable.

Anyway, I called all over the Puget Sound and the cheapest place I found was Michael's Toyota (really!) and they wanted $1200, including parts which was $275 of that.

Given the value of my time right now, paying someone to do an easy, but labor intensive job seemed to be the way to go, but for $1200, it will sit in my yard for some time to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom