Wildpeaks suck...... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
That has been my experience so far, I had mine rebalanced twice and they still vibrates at higher speeds 50+.
The shop I use know what they are doing so when I get time I will have them do a road force balance next. I never had these issues with Coopers, next time I will switch back.

anyone else in this boat?

My experience was the opposite - they balanced perfectly.

Size 275/55/20 - and they seem to be wearing well also. So far I have about 6k miles on them.

I have never run them but I know a few guys around me that do/did and every single one of them were unhappy. Unable to keep them balanced, uneven wear, dry rot and cracking too soon. They are popular because they are cheap and far too many have drunk the kool-aid.

I have never run them but I know a few guys around me that do/did and every single one of them were unhappy. Unable to keep them balanced, uneven wear, dry rot and cracking too soon. They are popular because they are cheap and far too many have drunk the kool-aid.

Same with a close friend, they could not get his wilkpeak to balance. But i don’t think this issue is isolated to just wild peaks. I had the same problem with 2 sets of brand new KO2s.

I know folks that have had all those problems with all the popular brands and styles. I’ve come to the conclusion it’s usually a quality control issue and not a specific brand issue, though some do have more regular issues than others obviously.

My Wildpeaks are great 7k in, balanced well and everything. Did you swap to new wheels with the new tires too? It could be one, the other or both. Could also be the shop, the tech, the adapter used. Everyone defaults to blaming a tire when it’s far fro, the only piece of the equation that could be responsible.

Tire threads are tough as we all usually only buy a limited number of sets in a lifetime. I’ve have absolute good luck and junk from them all, on 50+ different vehicles I’ve owned.

I also disagree with Tx, I didn’t buy them because they’re cheap (they’re really comparable to most competitors). I bought them because I’ve had the other brands and had mixed reviews, haven’t tried these and thought I’d like to as they fit the needs I have. Available in C load range in the size I wanted to run (unlike comps), good all terrain tread that gets me through all seasons here in a Colorado, road noise friendly, good warranty, readily available, good enough off-road for how I wheel, great reviews everywhere online. If that’s the supposedly overhyped kool-aid, it’s refreshing.

OLGX, have you made sure the shop is balancing them using the specific lug centric Toyota adapter? Most shops default to the cone hub centric mount on the balancer and when that doesn’t do good enough, using the proper lug centric (haweka) is the key.

I also disagree with Tx, I didn’t buy them because they’re cheap (they’re really comparable to most competitors). I bought them because I’ve had the other brands and had mixed reviews, haven’t tried these and thought I’d like to as they fit the needs I have. Available in C load range in the size I wanted to run (unlike comps), good all terrain tread that gets me through all seasons here in a Colorado, road noise friendly, good warranty, readily available, good enough off-road for how I wheel, great reviews everywhere online. If that’s the supposedly overhyped kool-aid, it’s refreshing.

That was a generalization based off of what I have seen with the tire amongst friends and family that have run them as well as from what I have seen on this forum, Expo, 4Runner Forum, Tacoma World, and a few others. The majority of people gravitate towards them because they are a decent tire overall and significantly less expensive than the main names and faces. You're right, most tires have some knock against them and nothing is perfect or right for each and every individuals needs or platform but there are a few makes/models that are overwhelmingly successful. I would not list Falken or the Wildpeak as such, YMMV.

I had Wildpeaks on my 3rd gen Runner and have them on my 460. Quiet and great in the slick stuff which is why I bought them living in New England. I’ve been very impressed with them.

“OLGX, have you made sure the shop is balancing them using the specific lug cent adapter? Most shops default to the cone hub centric mount on the balancer and when that doesn’t do good enough, using the proper lug centric (haweka) is the key.“

I called Falken and created a case. I will be going back for another round of balancing and see if they use the correct mount. Unfortunately that will be three weeks before I can do that.
Thanks jmanscotch!

The shop may have a problem with their balancer. The machine may be worn out or may need calibrated. Try going to a different shop. It's unlikely the fault of the tire. The more you drive it unbalanced the more uneven tread wear that can occur. Uneven tread wear can cause vibration and excess noise. Vibration at higher speed can be from other worn items as well. If you have a bad CV axle, out of balance driveshaft, worn out steering rack, or bad u-joint a vibration can be the result as well.

In my experience, tire shops vary. I ONLY use one's that are vetted by other people with similar vehicle interests. For example, only use tire shops used by other sports car owners when tires are needed for a sports car or only use tire shops used by other off-road enthusiasts when tires are needed for a off-roader, etc.

The shop may have a problem with their balancer. The machine may be worn out or may need calibrated. Try going to a different shop. It's unlikely the fault of the tire. The more you drive it unbalanced the more uneven tread wear that can occur. Uneven tread wear can cause vibration and excess noise. Vibration at higher speed can be from other worn items as well. If you have a bad CV axle, out of balance driveshaft, worn out steering rack, or bad u-joint a vibration can be the result as well.
I have 60k grandma miles on it so I think it’s good mechanically but that is to consider.

Lately there seems to be a rash of issues with these tires. Can you put the build date of your problematic tires. Maybe COVID-19 impact their production quality severely in Thailand.

But again many seems to be first time AT buyer converting from OEM HT tires. AT/MT tires with higher load rating would ride rougher compared to P rated street tires.

Some of this tires do need some break in. My Toyo Open County AT2 was rough riding for the first 1-2K miles. Although balance was never an issue.

Lately there seems to be a rash of issues with these tires. Can you put the build date of your problematic tires. Maybe COVID-19 impact their production quality severely in Thailand.

But again many seems to be first time AT buyer converting from OEM HT tires. AT/MT tires with higher load rating would ride rougher compared to P rated street tires.

Some of this tires do need some break in. My Toyo Open County AT2 was rough riding for the first 1-2K miles. Although balance was never an issue.
Pretty sure mine are made in China, I will check today when I get home.

What load rating are your Wildpeaks? I have E load Wildpeaks in 265/70/17 and no issues. In almost two years I’ve gone on a bunch of road trips and through eight national parks and they’ve been great. Believe it or not my local Walmart actually has an awesome tire center, the two main managers run a tight ship and do a good job.

I put a set of Wildpeaks on my GX 30,000 miles ago they’ve always balanced just fine, the truck runs smooth and they’re wearing really well.

Made n China!

69E13ED2-E76E-439C-8E6B-DE11EA8801B8.jpeg

C3E91340-6F22-441F-AB80-B7C174385AB3.jpeg

It used to be made in Thailand. So now it become made in China. That is interesting because most manufacturing for US export are moving out of China due to tariff. Build 10th week of 2020 which right when China just start start back from the lockdown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom