Wierd Hundy problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Today, my 2000 Hundy decided not to start. Sypmtoms: when I try to start it, oil pressure gauge won't rise. Oil was full - just got it done at the dealership. All gauges acting normal except for Oil Pressure.

Won't turn over. Battery and starter good.

Tow truck came. We pushed it backwards about 3 meters to line it up with tow truck. I tried to crank it one last time and it turned over. Hundy is acting like nothing happened the rest of the day.

Is my fuel pump going bad? What else can it be?

Battery cables checked. No problems for a couple days. No warning lights...

It is happening again... Just pulled into the library to return books and my Hundy won't start again.

Same symptoms - cranking but won't turn over. All gauges goes up except for the oil gauge.

Any ideas? I am gonna try the push thing again - only thing that worked last time...

Long shot, but you could double check your ground at the back of the passenger side engine block. Oil pressure grounds there, as do some functions of the ECU. Just trying to find what the oil gage may have to do with it...

As I recall, the ECU waits to see oil pressure before enabling fuel delivery and spark. The OP states that it is cranking, so a bad ground for the oil pressure guage or a bad oil pressure sender could prevent firing but still allow the starter to crank the engine.

I am confused by "cranking but won't turn over" since in my part of the world, cranking and turn over are synonymous.

My $0.02 as a former hundy owner ... :D

Any chance the chip in your key isn't being recognized? Maybe new batteries in your key / transponder?

It sure sounds like either a fuel delivery issue or an immobilizer issue. The engine is turning over when it doesn't start correct?

They key battery doesn't power the immobilizer chip in the key. The chip is probably similar to a RFID in terms of the car recognizing it. Does it due this with all of your keys? I had a weird issue like this on my F150, I added a key and the dealer fouled up the programming or something.

As I recall, the ECU waits to see oil pressure before enabling fuel delivery and spark.

I hope not, otherwise that's a great way to become stranded. I'll take the risk of an oil pump failure over the risk of an electronic failure any day.

Can anyone confirm this?

^ I have not heard of this. I've seen cam position sensors cause weird stuff but not oil pressure sending units, on Lexus at least. My thought is the sending unit is simple and just reads pressure, and wouldn't prevent the car from starting. Is the oil light on when the car is started? If its working, likely it would not be working intermittently.

Last edited:
I had a Toyota Motor Sales USA publication entitled 2006 New Features when I had my '06. I swear that the ECU description in the VVTi section stated what I relayed here .... but that document went with the rig when I sold it, so I cannot confirm it. Perhaps it is in the Tech Info site (https://techinfo.toyota.com/), but my subscription has expired.

Then again, my memory has been know to fail me as I get older ... :D

I stand corrected, though I swear it stated that the engine would not fire since I recall thinking that was a great way to ensure lubrication to the bearings ....

Thanks for calrifying, Trunk ... :doh:

Yep, VVTi uses an oil control valve to divert oil pressure as a hydraulic source to manipulate cam timing. No pressure = static valve timing.

I am confused by "cranking but won't turn over" since in my part of the world, cranking and turn over are synonymous.
x2, story is a bit confusing. I think OP is saying the starter is cranking but the engine is not CATCHING.

I recall a few owners have also had mysterious starting issues and the culprit was the EFI fuse. Fuse looked fine and tested fine but was not fine (intermittent continuity). Try actually changing the EFI fuse.

On a side note, my ancient 70 series 3B engine will not deliver fuel if it detects no oil pressure. I'm not saying this applies to the 2UZ-FE but if the EFI fuse doesn't work out for you, I'd explore the oil pressure issue further.

Thanks everyone. I already sent the thread a out the EFI fuses to my mechanic. I believe that this is the culprit after reading similar immobilizer threads.

Spoke to the mechanic today and my Hundy never failed to start since he got it. Again, thanks everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom