Why The Toyota Land Cruiser Is Disappearing From America (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have been a lifelong Toyota guy. My grandpa drove red regular cab 4wd pick ups on the farm as far back as I can remember, and I always thought they were the coolest thing out there. As an adult, I have carried that on and owned several models. Here as of late, after listening to Jonathan Ward's keynote at the LC Museum and taking a critical approach, I am coming to the conclusion that Toyota simply does not understand the US market well. I visited Japan in April and it helped put it more in perspective. The Japanese culture Is so different from the US culture, that it would take a huge effort to find the words to lay it out concisely. In short, I don't think Toyota understands the desire for a stripped down version when they offer this hugely advanced yet bloated and crazy expensive model. Maybe it is the always forward mindset that prevents them from seeing it. Even the 70 series in Oz has serious head scratchers.

Although one would think they only need look at the sales numbers. Compare how well the 80 or the 70 sold to how well the 200 is selling. Hell even looking at how popular the 4Runner and FJC did/do will tell them something. People in general (myself included) love the stripped down, no nonsense, rigs. They are generally more accessible to more people and often people don't want the extra dooddads that are more prone to breakage as the vehicle ages. It's not rocket surgery.

Consumers are changing and the market is totally saturated with good and wanna-be rigs from all brands. Additionally, Toyota has a lot invested in the Tundra and Tacoma and momentum to provide third party accessories, customization etc., are already there. A land Cruiser would cut into their existing lineups perhaps.

I have been a lifelong Toyota guy. My grandpa drove red regular cab 4wd pick ups on the farm as far back as I can remember, and I always thought they were the coolest thing out there. As an adult, I have carried that on and owned several models. Here as of late, after listening to Jonathan Ward's keynote at the LC Museum and taking a critical approach, I am coming to the conclusion that Toyota simply does not understand the US market well. I visited Japan in April and it helped put it more in perspective. The Japanese culture Is so different from the US culture, that it would take a huge effort to find the words to lay it out concisely. In short, I don't think Toyota understands the desire for a stripped down version when they offer this hugely advanced yet bloated and crazy expensive model. Maybe it is the always forward mindset that prevents them from seeing it. Even the 70 series in Oz has serious head scratchers.

I'm not convinced that Toyota doesn't understand the US market well... the 4Runner, the Tacoma, the Tundra, and the TRD Pro lines of each of those vehicles. Their North American guys know what they are doing. But those successes are at the expense of the Land Cruiser here I think. If they wanted to push Land Cruiser here I think they'd need to cannibalize one of their existing strong-performing 4x4 product lines.

In the UAE the Land Cruiser is huge. 200 series are everywhere... from bone stock manual trannies to fully-kitted out luxury versions. Rich folks drive them and the desert tour companies use them. It truly is an international brand.

We need a basic 70 series in this country with some various configurations.

"A $90k Land Cruiser?" as he snorts cola out his nose.... that alone spells out it's demise. For that money, no one is buying a "capable off road vehicle" - instead they'll buy a Land Rover that carries the Kardashian / Car Pool Karaoke panache. The simple fact the FJC went away says the general US off-road market does not want a capable 4x4 at a reasonable price - and they probably want a Jeep.

"A $90k Land Cruiser?" as he snorts cola out his nose.... that alone spells out it's demise. For that money, no one is buying a "capable off road vehicle" - instead they'll buy a Land Rover that carries the Kardashian / Car Pool Karaoke panache. The simple fact the FJC went away says the general US off-road market does not want a capable 4x4 at a reasonable price - and they probably want a Jeep.

Or does it indicate that Toyota doesn't really know what the US wants? As far as I could tell the fjc sold very well and Jeeps continue to sell extremely well.

Or does it indicate that Toyota doesn't really know what the US wants?
In my opinion they don't have a clue, but the writing is staring them in the face.
Just my observations, and I thought I'd toss them out there. I drive 400 miles a day 5 to 6 days a week and what do I see?
Scores of 4Runners, Tacos, Tundras, and Jeeps on the road. An occasional Landcruiser is rare, and Rovers are almost one of those "wow" moments of seeing a Studebaker on the 10.....
Ford is soon to get into the mix with the Bronco :meh: The market is there.

We need a basic 70 series in this country with some various configurations.

This will never happen. It would require significant redesign to pass federal crash testing requirements. From what I’ve heard it is barely passing the Aussie requirements anymore...

But what I wouldn’t give for a SWB 73 with removable hard top, lockers, and that V8 diesel...

Give me a 4 motor electric direct drive with gas turbine generator for extended range.

In my opinion they don't have a clue, but the writing is staring them in the face.
Just my observations, and I thought I'd toss them out there. I drive 400 miles a day 5 to 6 days a week and what do I see?
Scores of 4Runners, Tacos, Tundras, and Jeeps on the road. An occasional Landcruiser is rare, and Rovers are almost one of those "wow" moments of seeing a Studebaker on the 10.....
Ford is soon to get into the mix with the Bronco :meh: The market is there.
I have a feeling Ford May bring it old school with a solid front axle, AND if they do it is major trouble for Jeep AND Toyota. Someone said if Toyota does not listen to their 4X4 customers soon they will be doomed to only selling Corolla’s and Camry’s in the future! Seriously.🙄

Only the wealthy buy the 200 series, then cart Skipper and Buffy off to soccer games or to the Mall. I know almost no one that wheels an $85K plus vehicle. Time to wake up in Tahara🙄😮

I think Toyota is doing just fine. If you look at their whole line up, they are killing it with Tacoma, 4 Runner and Tundras. Their success is the reason the big 3 are pursuing the segment. The reality is that Toyota doesn't make the 200LC for the US market. It's made for OZ land and the UAE. At the beginning there was only the LC but now they offer a full 4x4 buffet of Sequoias, Tacos, 4Runners and Tundras (and technically the Lexus GX (Prado). I think they see the LC as a Halo vehicle with a small cult following. They'll probably keep selling them in the US just for the panache, not for their bottom line.

Meanwhile, for those of us drinking the Kool Aid...

Screenshot 2019-11-18 at 4.50.03 PM.jpeg

Well that presents an interesting question: Do Toyota's 4x4's sell well because consumers have no choice or because they really don't want a more rungged solid axle heep-like vehicle?

Jeep's wrangler sales are good and Toyota's sales are also good. Are the consumers of these vehicles totally different? Or would a Toyota junkie love a solid axle? I would say yes, of course they would.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom