Why does my starter hate the cold? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Background first. Last winter my 2.0 starter began to 'grind' and not engage flywheel when first cranked. Immediately turn key again and everything fires up as normal. I replaced contacts hoping that would solve the problem, but it did not. We got through the winter, to the warmer weather and had no problems all summer long.

Last week was our first close to freezing temperatures. I came out of work, and winced as I turned the key because I was expecting it. Sure enough, a quick 'grind' then start just as before.

I want to know why when it is cold the starter won't fully engage flywheel on the first try?

Is there some lubricant that hardens in the cold? Should there be lubricant in the twigs and berries of the starter? Are the internal tolerances of the starter so tight that the cold creates enough friction/stiction that it doesn't work properly? If it works exactly as it should 8 months a year, why not in the 4 cold months? WHY? :bang:

I have read all the threads on the matter and maybe I am stubborn, but I can't believe that there is not a better explanation or solution (replacing the starter for a problem that only exists when it is 40 or below outside) to the issue.

How many of us have the problem, what have you pros done to fix it?
Thanks in advance for your wisdom!

My experience is when the starters act funny, it always happens in the cold. Usually in the dark too. Did you also swap out the plunger when you did the contacts?

I'd suggest pulling the starter again, and looking at your new contacts. Look at how the plunger has worn them- see if they twisted at all, if so you'll only see wear on one of the corners. It should be even across the contact... sometimes pushing down on the contact with a socket or something while you tighten the nut will keep it straight. You can also err on pushing on the non-worn side, so that when you tighten the nut it twists it flat- end goal is the fact of the contacts being as parallel as possible with the ring of the plunger.

FWIW my starter acted up (clicking due to worn contacts and plunger) only when it got hot.

Here are a few photos of a 2.0kW starter drive assembly (pinion gear pulled off the shaft), worn contacts inside the magnetic switch (solenoid), and worn plunger after ~300,000 miles:
DSC09573.JPG
DSC09255.JPG
DSC09271.JPG

Last edited:
Last year when I replaced the contacts, I also replaced the plunger. Looked a lot like the pics above. After about 2 months with no improvement, I re-pulled the starter and re-set the contacts, even though they looked good.

The cold seems to be the only variable making a difference... :hmm:

The old plunger did not look like there was any type of lubricant used, so I didn't use any when replaced. Should there be some kind of light/dry lubricant used on the springy end of the plunger?

Last edited:
There is a small amount of factory applied graphite or moly paste on the plunger shaft/spring in a Denso starter but IMHO the lack of it wouldn't cause your problem. Loose or corroded connections, broken drive assembly components, incorrect contacts or plunger part numbers, ---??

If it was the starter contacts or plunger the starter would not spin. There are two problems that are possible. There is not enough current being supplied to the starter which would be bad cables or connections or a weak battery. The most likey problem is a bad bendix. A good bendix is just like a ratchet wrench. It drives in one direction but if the motor starts and the RPM is faster than the starter it spins it the opposite direction to not damage the starter. A bad bendix will slip making just the spinning sound. Just by examing it and turning by hand or bench testing will never torque the bendix enough to make it fail. Good news is that its replaceable at a relatively low cost. Attached it a picture of a generic bendix not specfic to the Toyota.

starter bendix.jpg
starter bendix.jpg

Last edited:
A complete Toyota starter lists for something like $250, but a drive assembly by itself lists for around $120. You can take the starter apart to check the OSGR section and even take the drive assembly apart to see if anything is broken or if it needs to be cleaned and regreased. Here's a photo showing the drive assembly partly disassembled:
DSC09612.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom