Why do YOU have a 100 series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My family owned American cars while I was growing up. After an experience with dealers/salesmen at both Ford and Chevy when I was in my mid-twenties, I swore I would walk before an American made vehicle ever sat in my driveway. Went to a Toyota dealer and got a 2001 Tacoma extended cab and drove it for 19 years. A friend had my current 100 and I told him when he decided to sell, I’d take it. Deal worked out in January and the only regret I have is not getting one 20 years ago. It literally makes me happy every time I drive it.

Because every time I decide to try a different vehicle, I come away longing for a Land Cruiser, and I can’t responsibly afford a newer 200. I do have a GX460 for my DD, but the 100 has been creeping back into regular use.

I was a Toyota technician. I’ve had several Toyota 4wd trucks, a couple Tacomas and a 4Runner. I worked on other people’s 40s, 60s, 80s and when I drove the 100 series I was really impressed. The smooth ride and V8 did it for me. It took me another 18 years to end up with my own, but it was worth the wait. Every time I back it out of the garage or look at parked somewhere I am proud to own it.

I had a 97 taco that I miss. I then had a f150 that was not good off-road. Then I read @REZARF ’s 100 Build thread. amd I always wanted 8 cylinders. Found an 07 LX470 I could afford and traded the Ford. Not a daily driver, it’s my fun truck. But, wife and kid love riding in it, way more than the f150.

I live in the PNW of North America, but have in recent years have become fascinated with the SW of the USA.

My Land Cruiser of 20+ years was a '74 FJ40 that is built for mountain hard-core 4wd trails. I wanted a tough, reliable, comfortable 4wd for desert roads and trails (and long highway drives.)

My original idea was to buy a lightly damaged FJ62 but that deal slipped away. Further research closed the search around the 80 and 100 Series.

In the end, I felt a 100 Series would be a better choice for my use in the southwest, and I scored a deal from a friend that was selling a 300K plus mile 1999 UZJ100. I spent some $$ at TorFab in Everett, WA. to have the vehicle fully inspected and some preventative maintenance done. Well worth the $ !

I keep this 100 Series stored in Las Vegas and fly down for desert exploring trips.

Here are a few photos from various trips, in Canyonlands NP in Utah, Death Valley NP in California, and central Arizona.

IMG_1595.jpeg

IMG_1856.jpeg

IMG_2854.jpeg

I needed a wheeler and it was cheap, it's relatively easy to work on, and has a lot of aftermarket support. Plus, I hate Jeeps.

I wanted a 4x4 that would fit the family, take the dog, hold stuff, etc. New trucks of any kind are great and all but just stupid expensive, and I always prefer buying something older and cheap vs. new and so expensive- plus I tend to keep more of a "famly fleet" situation than just one car. Also, I'd been perusing this very bulletin board for years on and off. So when a buddy was looking to sell his 100 to fund purchase and mods on a newer 200, I had to buy the thing. And so I did.

Still in the early days with it, especially since I barely drive anymore being a remote-worker guy, but I'm enjoying it.

I wanted a 4x4 that I could also tow a small boat with, and bring the family. I was looking at new Tacomas, and Tundra, and Silverado and Colorado but didn't want to spend the money they were asking. I didn't want a $700 + payment for the next 5 years.

I came across an old 100 series for sale and I loved the style. it got me thinking. Researched them and saw how reliable they are. Found a 1 owner truck in Las Vegas and I almost got the deal worked out to have it shipped to me, but someone local snapped it up. Kept looking and found one with a good service history, no rust and new K02s in Atlanta.

I love this thing. To be honest I think it looks better than any new SUV and most trucks. It's plenty capable for what I need it to do, comfortable, and i can work on it myself

I'm so glad I spent $10k instead of getting into a car payment again. I'll keep it until the wheels rot off.

I lived in NYC for a few years with no cars. We moved to Colorado and needed two vehicles with a ~$60K budget. My original plan was a new 4R OR or a certified GX for $40K and a TJ Rubi for $20K. The day we got to Denver, a clean, 1 owner, dealer maintained, 116K mile '06 LX popped up at a Benz dealer. Paid $19,900. Looked around for a TJ, drove a few LJs, but just couldn't see the value in a $25K+ Jeep when a new one was $40Kish. I couldn't stomach the maintenance package cost for CPO German wagons. Ended up getting a low option JLUR.

I had big plans for LX mods, but its great as is for my current situation I don't want to mess with it too much. Its nice but not too nice that I have to worry about where I park. 36" Vari kennel and a Yeti Tundra 45 fit perfectly across the back with plenty of room for other stuff. My main focus is to get it baselined and rack up as many miles as I can. The only thing on the must-have list that isn't OEM is a set of BFG ATs and a GROM.

I think about selling the LX and getting a G55 but then reality hits; I've never driven a G and I wouldn't trade the exhaust note and door close sound for the sound of the LX simply starting all the time. A 997.2 4S or Turbo with a set of Blizzaks and a ski rack will eventually happen. The only new car I have any desire for besides a 200 are German wagons; specifically plastic flared or hotrod variety.

I lived in NYC for a few years with no cars. We moved to Colorado and needed two vehicles with a ~$60K budget. My original plan was a new 4R OR or a certified GX for $40K and a TJ Rubi for $20K. The day we got to Denver, a clean, 1 owner, dealer maintained, 116K mile '06 LX popped up at a Benz dealer. Paid $19,900. Looked around for a TJ, drove a few LJs, but just couldn't see the value in a $25K+ Jeep when a new one was $40Kish. I couldn't stomach the maintenance package cost for CPO German wagons. Ended up getting a low option JLUR.

I had big plans for LX mods, but its great as is for my current situation I don't want to mess with it too much. Its nice but not too nice that I have to worry about where I park. 36" Vari kennel and a Yeti Tundra 45 fit perfectly across the back with plenty of room for other stuff. My main focus is to get it baselined and rack up as many miles as I can. The only thing on the must-have list that isn't OEM is a set of BFG ATs and a GROM.

I think about selling the LX and getting a G55 but then reality hits; I've never driven a G and I wouldn't trade the exhaust note and door close sound for the sound of the LX simply starting all the time. A 997.2 4S or Turbo with a set of Blizzaks and a ski rack will eventually happen. The only new car I have any desire for besides a 200 are German wagons; specifically plastic flared or hotrod variety.

Are you secretly me?

I can't believe i didn't get a 100 sooner. I really think it's the most comfortable vehicle for driving off road. I have 5 vehicles and It instantly became My daily driver.
I got my lx with theintention of deleting the ahc. After having it, i don't care how expensive it is to maintain, I'll keep it forever. I'm thinking with only 150k on the clock, I'll be able to keep the lx forever. I probably won't drive it much when i move back to the city. In another 10 years it will be 27 years old and it will be a classic. Hopefully we still have gas then because she is silly thirsty

Hopefully we still have gas then because she is silly thirsty

Accidentally bought mine this spring in time for Covid to get serious. Have found that it's a fantastic ride for the work from the house lifestyle! I just get to enjoy mine instead of cussing over it drinking another tank of gas.

I bought my first 100 14 years ago - was driving a 95 Ford Taurus which was by and large a good car in its day but by 2006 was well past its prime. My Dad was a Toyota loyalist going back to the early 80's, when he bought his first Corolla, without power steering and over invoice (there was a waiting list for them back then.) With a growing family reliability was a priority, as was size. The Land Cruiser offered both of them, plus an intangible build quality the larger Sequoia lacked. I knew I had done something right when about a week after buying the LC when a guy with a jeep rolled down his window and started asking me questions - turns out he was fed up with the Jeep's lack of reliability, and was looking to buy a Land Cruiser himself.

The LC was part of our family for the next 6 years - it took us where we wanted to go with safety, style, and comfort - after 130,000 miles it would still drive us anywhere without even a rattle (other than the heat shields LOL.) I eventually got a 96 LX450 to go with the 100, and if anything the 80 was even MORE SOLID than the 100, and that's saying a lot. Sadly both the 100 and the LX were lost in Hurricane Sandy (the LX I had for less then 6 months, and would probably be worth more now then when I bought it.) In the aftermath, I searched high and low for a certified 100 to replace what was lost. I eventually found one about 120 miles away in Philadelphia.

In the aftermath of the hurricane my parents were indignant about my taking the time off to go down to Philadelphia to buy a car - "after all we've been through with the hurricane" they said, "why can't you just go to the local Toyota dealer and buy a Camry like everyone else" (having replaced Corollas with Camrys as they as Toyota grew in wealth.) Having never owned a Land Cruiser, they just did not understand. That was 8 years ago, I still own that same Land Cruiser (now 14 years old and running strong,) and I'm hoping to keep it for many more years to come.

Have always wanted a cruiser, and really wanted a 60 series. As I was looking, I couldn't find one that didn't have rust for a price I could afford. Then, started to realize that as I get older, I'm not as big a fan of 0-60 in 2 days as I was back in my Mercedes 300D days. Not sure why, but I never even looked at an 80 series. I finally found a LX with bad paint but everything else was good, so I grabbed it. My current '05 popped up on FBMarketplace at a great price, so we bought that with the idea it would be my wife's daily. However, one thing led to another and we got a much more reliable and cheaper to fix SUV for her. An Audi Q7. :bang: So, I sold my first LX and have kept the '05. This one will go to my son in 3 years and while I'd love to pick up a built 80, I'm sure I'll end up with another 100. While I do enjoy the lightning fast acceleration of the 100 series, I enjoy much more a warm ass in the winter and the comfort that it provides.

I knew I had done something right when about a week after buying the LC when a guy with a jeep rolled down his window and started asking me questions

This happened to me about a month ago, stuck in traffic on the highway. I had the sunroof open and some truck driver hollered in to start asking me about the truck. The look on his face when I told him the car was 21 years old was pretty fun.

Seriously! Wow, GX’s have gone up then. I bought my wife one about 3 years ago because it was actually cheaper than comparable 4runners.

Seriously! Wow, GX’s have gone up then. I bought my wife one about 3 years ago because it was actually cheaper than comparable 4runners.

Prices on GX 470s and 100 series have been steadily rising, at least in Southern California.100 series are still more expensive for same mileage and condition by 25-50% (butt pulled). I was looking at both for about 18 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom