Why do JDM 80 rust at the cargo window frame? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone!

I have an absolute CREAMPUFF of a 1995 HDJ81. Single owner, non smoking and garaged for life. Full service records to boot, 150K (KMs) from Miyazaki japan. Non cold spec.

I thought I didn't have any major rust, being that the whole vehicle is so clean and original. That is until I saw a small bulge on the front corner of my right side cargo window. Once I lifted the rubber seal, I almost fainted.

I found some cancer brewing under the seal, Picture is attached. After I removed and flushed out some flakes, I dont think that I have any perforation, but the windows are coming out ASAP to treat it now that I have found this.

What causes rust on this area on so many JDM 80 series with fixed cargo windows? I have seen a few more with the same trouble area.

PICS:

MODS, PLEASE RELOCATE TO ANOTHER SECTION IF IT IS INCORRECT. THANKS!!

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-26 at 10.11.33 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-26 at 10.21.02 PM.jpeg

How did you even notice that? That truck looks sparkling.

Fun fact. My 70 came from Miyazaki too.

Hi everyone!

I have an absolute CREAMPUFF of a 1995 HDJ81. Single owner, non smoking and garaged for life. Full service records to boot, 150K (KMs) from Miyazaki japan. Non cold spec.

I thought I didn't have any major rust, being that the whole vehicle is so clean and original. That is until I saw a small bulge on the front corner of my right side cargo window. Once I lifted the rubber seal, I almost fainted.

I found some cancer brewing under the seal, Picture is attached. After I removed and flushed out some flakes, I dont think that I have any perforation, but the windows are coming out ASAP to treat it now that I have found this.

What causes rust on this area on so many JDM 80 series with fixed cargo windows? I have seen a few more with the same trouble area.

PICS:

MODS, PLEASE RELOCATE TO ANOTHER SECTION IF IT IS INCORRECT. THANKS!!

View attachment 3125218

View attachment 3125221
Has this truck been repainted or possibly some spot work in that area? I’ve demoed quite a few trucks and the pinch welds are typically body color.

Has this truck been repainted or possibly some spot work in that area? I’ve demoed quite a few trucks and the pinch welds are typically body color.
I thought of the same thing, but inspecting the area below the window seal briefly with a plastic trim remover, it seems that some areas are worn or missing paint down to the primer or e coat, and other areas are black all the way into the pinch weld. Its almost as if the paint has worn off over time in some spots.

I still have not removed the Window to investigate further. I cannot find any evidence of prior work until now. Zero overspray, zero masking lines, zero painted rubber or trim.

From what I can tell though, the paint on the trucks looks original. The interior and rubber/plastic condition agree with my information that this thing spent most of its time garaged. This was an auction grade 4 which from what I understand is rare for vehicles this old.

How did you even notice that? That truck looks sparkling.

Fun fact. My 70 came from Miyazaki too.
Just saw a little bulge at the rubber seal. I have many old Yotas. I can smell rust at this point. Luckily im not in the rust belt, but we get plenty of rain.

Just saw a little bulge at the rubber seal. I have many old Yotas. I can smell rust at this point. Luckily im not in the rust belt, but we get plenty of rain.
Aren't you guys flooding right now? Just saw a video of a McLaren P1 floating down the road...

I thought of the same thing, but inspecting the area below the window seal briefly with a plastic trim remover, it seems that some areas are worn or missing paint down to the primer or e coat, and other areas are black all the way into the pinch weld. Its almost as if the paint has worn off over time in some spots.

I still have not removed the Window to investigate further. I cannot find any evidence of prior work until now. Zero overspray, zero masking lines, zero painted rubber or trim.

From what I can tell though, the paint on the trucks looks original. The interior and rubber/plastic condition agree with my information that this thing spent most of its time garaged. This was an auction grade 4 which from what I understand is rare for vehicles this old.
Sounds good. But I’d recommend pulling that glass and inspecting a little deeper. Something is not right as pinch welds came body color from the factory. You’ll need to do this if you’re gonna address the rust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom