Why bfg at's/ lookin for lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BFG's vs newer designs

Take them and go away.:flipoff2:

Same to ya...if you couldn't grasp my point (I know, the water's a little funny in NNJ) it's that just because something's worked for years, doesn't mean there isn't something better.

I've ran BFG AT's for years - Great tire and wears well. But there's a lot of NEW technology out there.

The new Firestone Destination MT, WEARS like the BFG's (much slower wear than your average MT).

AND they out perform the BFG's in every catagory.

BFG ATs are a good compromise tire. Decent off road traction, nice highway manners. But I think the real answer this question is thats what most of the dealers are putting on them so thats how they go out the door. From what I've seen around here, most of the FJCs on lots have the BFGs on them to start with.

lol, I considered all kinds of tires when I got mine, I looked at most options. I really like the look of the BFG's. If I get stuck in the mud ... I got a winch to get me out

Why is the TT running BFG's? Just corporate sponsor??

Mike

I have the Bridgestone dueler AT 285/70/17 on the factory wheels. I am very happy with these tires so far. Almost as smooth a ride as the HTs but much better off road. They handle very well in wet conditions too. I have yet to see how they do in the snow. If you use your FJ as your primary vehicle, I think these are a great option.

Go with the Old Man Emu lift with the Heavy springs (886) and the medium springs in the rear if you are not carrying a lot of weight or towing. If you need to tow a lot, get the heavy rears. I suppose you could run the mediums up front too if you are not running a winch. If you do have a winch whith the ARB bar, go heavy for sure. Make sure to check the alignment after you install the lift. If you have a dealer do this, chances are they will not know to do the alignment. Based on my experience with all my mods, do it yourself if at all possible. Even if you have never worked on a car in your life, there is a good chance you are far more competent than the dealership mechanics. I had to redo almost all of the work I had the dealer do. The only thing they didn't f*** up was the headers and the lift. I digress......good luck!

I like BFG AT's. I think they look good on the FJ. They wook perfectly fine on and off road and do last forever!
That being said, they are useless in mud! :D

I had BFG AT's on a rig once. Then I threw them away. I was always getting stuck in the mud. Since I like wet, muddy trails, they were worthless. I thought 'all terrain my ass' and went for BFG Mud Terrains, and never looked back. I have used BFG Mud Terrains on ALL TERRAIN SCAPES, and they work perfectly. From Mud, to Sand, to Rock, you cannot beat a Mud Tire for true ALL TERRAIN performance.
:beer:

Definitely not perfect or true all terrain performance. My BFG MT's suck balls in the rain. I have to be cautious when turning corners or going around bends. :eek: I might try to sipe them.

However, my AT's have worked well in the rain. Not sure why everyone is getting different results from these tires.

My AT's are also pretty 'chunked up' because I give them a good workout. I like the tire, but due to the chunking, I don't think I'll go back to the AT's.

I don't know what the differences may be between the BFG and Toyo MTs, but my Toyos have done me very well in all kinds of conditions, including rain. They actually do WAY better than the stock tires did. And trust me, I do a LOT of driving in the rain up here in Portland, OR. Also plenty of opportunity to drive in the snow up in Tillimook Nat. Forest, and up around Mt. Hood, which they also do very well in.

Your comment make you look like an idiot. Insulting forum members, talking out of you ass...

I have been wheeling for a long time. I have owned Boggers, Swampers, BFG MTs, ATs, etc. I have owned Jeeps, Land Rovers, etc. I (and many many others) run the BFGs because they work very well on many types of terrain. I don't like mud - so why the &%^# would I look for a tire whose primary focus is mud?

So angry!!!!!!!! When it rains do you keep your rig off the trails ? :eek:

So angry!!!!!!!! When it rains do you keep your rig off the trails ? :eek:

Dude - you make a comment like that - that we're newbies following the herd, that the tires look like crap - what'd you expect. Your other posts don't, but that one made you look 16.

And of course I don't stay home when it rains. I also drive my CJs with Boggers/MTs when it's dry - on the street. I thought the "primary focus" thing was clear. Let me know if you want me break it down for you.

I don't know what the differences may be between the BFG and Toyo MTs, but my Toyos have done me very well in all kinds of conditions, including rain. They actually do WAY better than the stock tires did. And trust me, I do a LOT of driving in the rain up here in Portland, OR. Also plenty of opportunity to drive in the snow up in Tillimook Nat. Forest, and up around Mt. Hood, which they also do very well in.

If you do your homework, you'll find that the Firstone Destination MT's have better dry & wet pavement performance than the Toyo or BFG MT's and don't wear as fast (their wear is comparable to BFG AT's with MUCH better overall performance).

Even though they're heavier, and many would say overkill for the FJ, I would recommend the E load rated BLACKWALL over the D rated whitewall.

Dude - you make a comment like that - that we're newbies following the herd, that the tires look like crap - what'd you expect. Your other posts don't, but that one made you look 16.

And of course I don't stay home when it rains. I also drive my CJs with Boggers/MTs when it's dry - on the street. I thought the "primary focus" thing was clear. Let me know if you want me break it down for you.

Did you buy bfg at's because everyone else was buying them ? The fact of the matter is i have seen fj owners run out buy a fj put bfg at's on it go wheeling and then turn around and buy a new set of tires ( not bfg at's ). Sorry if it hurt your feelings but the bfg at's do look like :censor: on a fj that's why i bought Dick Cepeks. To each his own, opinions are like :censor:holes everyone has 1 and these are mine.

Who buys tires for how they look?

Same guys who use spacers to lift their trucks - performance is not the "primary focus"... Oh, and guys who list vent shades as a mod ;)

WOW, a whole bunch of Sh*t talkers on here, huh?

If I did my research? Who the hell do you think I am? You don't know me or weather or not I did my homework. I DID do my homework and I'm sorry to say that I disagree with whoever it is that did the comparisons of tires. I found and still do find the Toyo tire to be superior to either BFG M/T or Firestone. It's my oppinion and my money to spend. The Toyo tire does the job I want it to do and does it well. Just because some so called expert says a particular tire is better than another I supposed to go with what they say instead of my own experience? Sorry, but no. If I always did that, I'd be a Hummer owner right now.

I agree that tires should not be bought for looks. It's a nice bonus that the Toyo tire is a nice looking tire too though. But if they were as ugly as the BFG, I'd still run them.

So you think spacer lifts are nothing but bling? I have a RevTek lift on my FJ and it has served me well. It gave me more clearance, which is exactly what I wanted. Could I do better with Sway Away? Of course. And the SAW lift is in my future. But I needed clearance to go where I wanted to go and didn't have $1400 to spend. IMO, the stock suspension is adequate on the FJ. It's not as good as SAW either, but it will do for now. But to insinuate that I installed a spacer lift for looks is a bunch of crap. You don't know me either. Some of you guys are full of a lot of hot air here and it kinda tiring.

I suppose all you sh*t talkers here have tens of thousands of dollars to spend on mods and all have the best of the best equipment and everyone else needs to go home?

WOW, a whole bunch of Sh*t talkers on here, huh?

If I did my research? Who the hell do you think I am? You don't know me or weather or not I did my homework. I DID do my homework and I'm sorry to say that I disagree with whoever it is that did the comparisons of tires. I found and still do find the Toyo tire to be superior to either BFG M/T or Firestone. It's my oppinion and my money to spend. The Toyo tire does the job I want it to do and does it well. Just because some so called expert says a particular tire is better than another I supposed to go with what they say instead of my own experience? Sorry, but no. If I always did that, I'd be a Hummer owner right now.

I agree that tires should not be bought for looks. It's a nice bonus that the Toyo tire is a nice looking tire too though. But if they were as ugly as the BFG, I'd still run them.

So you think spacer lifts are nothing but bling? I have a RevTek lift on my FJ and it has served me well. It gave me more clearance, which is exactly what I wanted. Could I do better with Sway Away? Of course. And the SAW lift is in my future. But I needed clearance to go where I wanted to go and didn't have $1400 to spend. IMO, the stock suspension is adequate on the FJ. It's not as good as SAW either, but it will do for now. But to insinuate that I installed a spacer lift for looks is a bunch of crap. You don't know me either. Some of you guys are full of a lot of hot air here and it kinda tiring.

I suppose all you sh*t talkers here have tens of thousands of dollars to spend on mods and all have the best of the best equipment and everyone else needs to go home?

Not quite sure who you're all pissed at - I made the spacer comment, so that one's mine... not sure about the research comment (your starting point of your rant) but that wasn't mine. The ugly tire comment was Yoda's so I guess you're mad at him too.

Wow, Yoda... I thought our bashing was funny... 'guess someone got mad.

Sorry, didn't feel like going through and quoting eveyone. You obviously can figure out who I'm talking to.

Funny? How are those comments supposed to come off as funny? They come off more like talking smack.

People who buy tires for how they look are the same poeple who buy spacer lifts? Sounds like talking smack and saying that people who use spacer lifts are driving around parking lot princeses and only need lift for bling. Well, you're wrong. I use mine to get over bigger rocks.

And I ain't pissed. I just find it annoying how many people want to throw around their oppinion as gospel and treat people who disagree like idiots.

Sorry Makaser - really. Somehow Yoda and I got into a pissing match, e.g. "Your tires look like crap" "Yeah, well your spacers suck"... I don't think either of us were taking it too seriously - to the degree you percieved.

And Yoda - I'm sorry. I like your spacers... but Ultra 50/51's look like crap on FJs ;)

Sorry Makaser - really. Somehow Yoda and I got into a pissing match, e.g. "Your tires look like crap" "Yeah, well your spacers suck"... I don't think either of us were taking it too seriously - to the degree you percieved.

And Yoda - I'm sorry. I like your spacers... but Ultra 50/51's look like crap on FJs ;)

lol I'm sorry to....The good part is you don't have to like my rims... :grinpimp: but what about my vent shades?????????? lol You know i went back and read the original post and the guy was really asking about a 3 inch lift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom