Who wants to go to Death Valley this fall/ winter (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was in DV last week and the weather was absolutely awesome. We were blessed with no winds and great temps. Instead of beep bopping around, we stayed at the Saline Valley hot springs during the entire time. On our last day, we climbed up Lippincott and did some touristy things like the racetrack, ubehebee crater, etc. Looking at the lunar eclipse from SV was really neat.

I was in DV last week and the weather was absolutely awesome. We were blessed with no winds and great temps. Instead of beep bopping around, we stayed at the Saline Valley hot springs during the entire time. On our last day, we climbed up Lippincott and did some touristy things like the racetrack, ubehebee crater, etc. Looking at the lunar eclipse from SV was really neat.
I still think about how horrible it was to hike back out of that damn crater.

Awesome. I'll be there in two weeks and hoping this warm weather lasts. Did you go through Dedeckera? How was Lippincott?

Awesome. I'll be there in two weeks and hoping this warm weather lasts. Did you go through Dedeckera? How was Lippincott?

Lippincott was uneventful, I thought. Due to a noisy birfield, I opted to climb that pass in rear wd in 2Low with the rear locker engaged. We were no where near Steele and Dedeckera as we approached SV via South pass. We couldn't have asked for a better weather, truly a blessing.

Lippincott was uneventful, I thought. Due to a noisy birfield, I opted to climb that pass in rear wd in 2Low with the rear locker engaged. We were no where near Steele and Dedeckera as we approached SV via South pass. We couldn't have asked for a better weather, truly a blessing.
Thanks. Unfortunately I've never seen Lippincott roughed up enough to be challenging. They should just let it go so that low clearance vehicles stop sooner.

Just got back from DV. This was my first time doing Steele Pass and I found it pretty challenging. I probably rely on lockers too much in general, but found them very helpful heading up and over from Eureka to Saline. Maybe easier going the other way? Managed to land a heavy hit on my sliders, but no carnage.

Used a cutoff road leaving the hot springs, maybe called Warm Springs Rd? Anyway, 2' of silt caught me off guard with windows down and the entire inside of the truck is now filled. Pretty fun and was very happy to have the center diff lock switch installed which I credit for not getting stuck. Also did Lippincott up and down to swing by the racetrack.

Great trip

Edit: also, got buzzed by a C17 at a couple hundred feet coming down from Steele and saw someone land a little plane at the hot springs. First for those as well!

PXL_20211207_185110704.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like you exited the valley via Saline Valley road and headed north. I LOVE that road filled with washboards!!

Sounds like you exited the valley via Saline Valley road and headed north. I LOVE that road filled with washboards!!
Headed out south since we needed to hit racetrack. Here's a screen shot of our track on the cutoff road we took. 2 thumbs up for having to use windshield wipers on fast with no rain :)
Screenshot_20211208-091320.png

ahh gotcha, that's the way I came in but went out via Racetrack. SV road was brutal and yet so much fun.:)

ahh gotcha, that's the way I came in but went out via Racetrack. SV road was brutal and yet so much fun.:)
Constantly trying to get the right speed to find the intersection of rattling and death risk functions. For me, 40-50mph seems right :)

PXL_20211208_194137006.jpg

Constantly trying to get the right speed to find the intersection of rattling and death risk functions. For me, 40-50mph seems right :)

View attachment 2859386

Yes sir, that is a good speed. I'm at a min 50, usually around 65 to get into sweet resonance freq of the rig. GF was nodding off, so that was my feedback :rofl:

Yes sir, that is a good speed. I'm at a min 50, usually around 65 to get into sweet resonance freq of the rig. GF was nodding off, so that was my feedback :rofl:
Lol, i'm too scuuurd to go that fast

Headed out south since we needed to hit racetrack. Here's a screen shot of our track on the cutoff road we took. 2 thumbs up for having to use windshield wipers on fast with no rain :)
View attachment 2859019
You sure you weren't on a closed road?

That looks to me like the old road that's been closed for more than 20 years.

You sure you weren't on a closed road?

That looks to me like the old road that's been closed for more than 20 years.
Could be. It isnt marked from the hot springs side (bat side). On the other end there's the sign that says something like 'road ends 1-mile'. We had many tracks to follow all the way through, and seemed fairly recent too, but that doesnt mean much regarding legality I suppose. It also shows up on my topos, but i know they dont always pick up changes.

If thats the road you mean, was it closed for a specific reason or just cause its a tough track that everyone gets stuck on? I could see it being impassable when wet. Anyway, hope its not that, cause it was fun as hell and i'd like to use it again.

If thats the road you mean, was it closed for a specific reason or just cause its a tough track that everyone gets stuck on?
Yeah, that sounds like the road. Not sure why they closed it but I'm sure that one of the old-timers at the springs would know. :meh:

And if you like the deep silt, I heard that Hidden valley is fun right now.

Last edited:
Yeah, that sounds like the road. Not sure why they closed it but I'm sure that one of the old-timers at the springs would know. :meh:

Bummer. I'm usually a rule following kind of guy, so I wont use that road again.

We had intended to exit via Hidden Valley, but ran out of time so headed back down/out via Lippincott.

That video is about what we got. It was hilarious and disgusting. I still havent cleaned out the 80. I need to put a garden sprinkler inside the truck to wash it out

Holy chit, that's serious silt. I've never been through such deep silt. Where's this Hidden Valley trail, in DV proper?

Holy chit, that's serious silt. I've never been through such deep silt. Where's this Hidden Valley trail, in DV proper?
Hidden valley is between the Racetrack and Hunter mountain. The road is one of the forks from Teakettle junction.

Hidden valley is between the Racetrack and Hunter mountain. The road is one of the forks from Teakettle junction.

Oh, that's interesting and I don't think I've ever taken that road. I've been up and over Hunter mountain but never been on that road. Holy chit, I'd have DEFINITELY remembered that mess!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom