Who wants to go to Death Valley this fall/ winter

4Cruisers

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Mahogany Flats Campground with a hike to the summit of Telescope Peak is great - the vertical drop to Badwater is 11,331 feet in a distance of about 15 miles. To the floor of Panamint Valley on the other side the drop is over 10,000 feet in about 8 miles. Nice views of the Sierra Nevada, including Mt. Whitney.

And at night we saw quite a few military jets heading from the direction of China Lake towards Area 51.

cme4lyt

SILVER Star
I’m interested over Thanksgiving if that works ? Have been 3 times before but never explored the Eastern side of the park. Also considering Anza Borrego and surrounding areas ?

bpenn1980

SILVER Star
Hoping to get a trip in this winter/spring as well. Never been to Eureka dunes, so that is on my list.

Here's a 1st cut at something that might be interesting:

Big Pine - Eureka [can go Death Valley Rd to Jackass Cyn and up Saline to Eureka for more excitement]
Eureka - Racetrack [straight forward]
Racetrack - Hidden Valley - Panamint Springs [straight forward]
Panamint - Pleasant Cyn/South Park loop [A couple places are intimidating. I've done it on a dirt bike, but not the wide/long 80 series]
or
Panamint - Goler - Butte Valley - Death Valley proper

It seems like most of you all are NorCal, so running north-to-south might work ok? Or do you all come down through Bakersfield since 120 is closed?

1632865109821.png

Last edited:
FYI, I heard that Dedeckera canyon got washed out so the obstacles there are a little more challenging.

I was hoping to do a fall trip, but not sure I can make it happen.

That route is a good one, BUT there is only one gas stop at Panamint Springs Resort and it is normally AT LEAST 2 bucks a gallon more than anyway where else. Be advised lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom