Who bought their 100-series new? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I bought my 1998 100 new and immediately drove to San Jose, Costa Rica. Still have the 100 after 445k miles. It was supposed to replace my 1987 FJ60 but i kept that one too.

E1400394-C80E-4E45-AB67-F9C3583A9DBD.jpeg

True. I guess I could expand it to those who bought it when it was still considered more or less a new car? Say within 5 years of the car being released? Or anyone whose parents bought one and they talked about that stuff with their parents?

Basically I am curious who bought these things before they were relegated to off-roaders and overlanders.
Not sure if mine would count or not. I bought my 2007 when it was about 3 yrs old. I drove that for about 8-9 yrs until my wife borrowed it and somebody promptly ran into her and wrecked it. I used the insurance settlement to buy a 2002 that was 17 yrs old. So my current LC was purchased while the 100 series is not considered a front-line luxury SUV, but all the "new money" I put into buying a car was when 100s were luxury items. In fact I cashed out a bit .... settled for $28K on the insurance settlement, bought the 02 for $10K and have put about $4K into long term maintenance fixes (cooling system, timing belt, steering rack, and suspension mods).

When I bought my 06Lx 3 yrs ago I told the dealer that the deal-breaker will be the sticker literature. Lol

I don’t buy new as well, I picked the 100 over the 200 because of mainly the budget I was working with during that time.
Wait so did you get them to get you a window sticker?

When I sold my 1987 FJ60, I swore I would not buy another Landcruiser until they put a V8 into the trucks. After the straight six in my 1973 FJ40 and the 60, I had enough of land tortoises. Unfortunately, that started a dark period in my life of 2 Range Rovers and a GMC Denali. Finally, decided I needed to get back into a Landcruiser and bought a 2007 100 Series new. My wife drove it when our kids were young and ferried all 3 kids to athletic events and also up the hill to ski every weekend. Never had a problem with it. After the kids got older, she was tired of driving such a big truck and it got garaged and she bought a Mini Cooper. I had a jones for a cruiser and bought a 1979 FJ43 from Colombia that I built and wheeled for a few years. However, it was also a pig on hills and not geared for the interstate. Started to dream about buying a conversion 60 with an LS motor, but knew i lacked the technical skills to maintain a frankencruiser. Finally saw the light, sold the 43 and started to build the 100. Have never looked back and have no intention of ever selling it. Good offroad, replaced the AHC and it has the bigger V8 that allows me to keep it at 80-85 on the highway. Drive it to MT and SD for bird hunting and it drives like a caddy!

These are all great stories! Thanks for sharing!

I bought my LC from the original owner in 2014. It was purchased in San Francisco and spent 8 years there until it was moved to the owners Summer home (mansion) in Newport RI in 2011. There it mostly sat in a heated garage until the nanny and kids showed up for the Summer in which the LC carted them to the beach and ice cream socials. These people had the kind of wealth to employ all sorts of help so I never met them. The Summer home property manager showed me the vehicle and went for a ride with me. When I bought it, I went to pick it up at their Boston mansion and dealt with their personal assistant who signed all the paperwork and gave me all the service history. They replaced my LC with a Black (always Black) LX570. I bought it with 80k miles and it currently sits at 190k miles. Been fantastic.

I bought my LC from the original owner in 2014. It was purchased in San Francisco and spent 8 years there until it was moved to the owners Summer home (mansion) in Newport RI in 2011. There it mostly sat in a heated garage until the nanny and kids showed up for the Summer in which the LC carted them to the beach and ice cream socials. These people had the kind of wealth to employ all sorts of help so I never met them. The Summer home property manager showed me the vehicle and went for a ride with me. When I bought it, I went to pick it up at their Boston mansion and dealt with their personal assistant who signed all the paperwork and gave me all the service history. They replaced my LC with a Black (always Black) LX570. I bought it with 80k miles and it currently sits at 190k miles. Been fantastic.
pirates-of.gif

Yes they made it happen. I am fond of collecting novelty items though.
Really? So it’s possible? Think they could go back to a 1999? I’d love to have a dealer window sticker!

This is cool! I wonder why they didn’t get the LX the first time around. Crazy to have that much money. It’s weird to think that for some people buying a LC impacts them as much me buying a nice used mountain bike.

Really? So it’s possible? Think they could go back to a 1999? I’d love to have a dealer window sticker!
A180397B-220C-4C59-A4DA-9DD9BF0A5D7B.jpeg

Nothing is impossible, matching VINs. I say go for it.

I purchased my 1999 100 from the original owners widow in 2016 with 245k miles on it. She indicated he bought the Land Cruiser since he was an "insurance man" and wanted a nice car that didn't scream money like other luxury brands, specifically Lexus and Mercedes. Her reasoning made sense, especially in Kansas where Toyota is viewed as an everyman's brand. While she didn't have a stack of records to give to me (or more than one key...) the Toyota Owners portal had a huge stack of records, including the last timing belt done at 195k at the dealer.

I didn't buy new but given these choices, I would've probably chosen the LX470 as well. G500 is tempting but the high repair cost post warranty is enough to turn many away.

View attachment 2851590

I did a quick kelly blue book comparison on these: 470: $11,000; Range Rover: $3,000; BMW: $1,000; but MB G is listed as $26,000! (Best left in driveway to impress the neighbors. )

I've seen a few G-wags off road in the last year and they are very impressive. I get why they are worth so much, very few of them available and the build quality is phenomenal. Hard to beat them for performance on road as well.

To be brief, LX quality, from its burly frame right down to the anti-kink springs in its windscreen washer tubing, is in a class by itself that even other Toyotas do not match. Nearly 17 years in harsh upstate NY, but still a baby at under 100k miles. Utterly smooth and relatively silent.

The FJ is very functional, but one can see the use of cheaper parts, for example the brakes. However, I still love it for its 6-speed manual gearbox, despite the idiotic design of the transmission quill. Yes, the visibility is horrible and the suicide doors impractical, but it is still going strong at 117k and 14 years.

The 200 TLC is relatively new at 3 years, but it is a burly beast indeed, although the product of a different design philosophy compared to the 100 series. For example, the 100-series platform is designed to be field-serviceable, but the 200-series is designed to be held hostage to dealers for driving service revenue to them. I bought it over the new LX for its better looking design and the touchscreen interface. The engine is a gem, but the transmission has a few extraneous gears, just another example of legal mandates of all kinds imposing certain compromises on vehicle designs, including the hideous AIS.

Such nitpicks aside, I love them all. Even at their worst, they are much better at what they do than any of the alternatives in the US market, in my opinion.
Please elaborate on the design philosophy with credible sources that indicates a 200 needs more dealer service than a 100.

I find it hard to believe that upstate NY is harsh.

I did a quick kelly blue book comparison on these: 470: $11,000; Range Rover: $3,000; BMW: $1,000; but MB G is listed as $26,000! (Best left in driveway to impress the neighbors. )
We were very very close pulling the trigger on a G63 but it boiled down to the household mpg. I cannot justify 2 vehicles both with 11mpgs so we turned around and went the complete opposite with a 32mpg 2019 rx450h FSport with 19k miles on it.
I've seen a few G-wags off road in the last year and they are very impressive. I get why they are worth so much, very few of them available and the build quality is phenomenal. Hard to beat them for performance on road as well.
The G maintenance is similar to our Lx/LCs, it is the closest one to an Lx/LC in terms of engine and transmission reliability. I would say the Lc/Lx yields more expensive oem parts than the G.

My "millennium edition" LC100 had a sticker price in September 2000 of 149,000 dirhams which was, and still is, $40,500 US dollars. My friend paid AED121,000 ($33,000) and received it from the dealer with the sidesteps removed. It also came with a Toyota roof rack which neither of us have ever used and has barn doors which, I think, is rarer in other markets.

He had it for about 13 years and we did a lot of desert trips together (me mainly in a 1993 Nissan Patrol) until he retired and I bought it. When he retired, he drove it overland through Iran and back to the UK and it came back to me on a ship from Southampton.

It's still going strong and will hopefully one day be a part of my evacuation plan too. Both of us also still use the Internet.

I couldn't find any recent photos without people in them but this one shows how it gets used a lot.
uae desert.jpg

Boy, this thread makes me feel old.

We bought our LC new in 2006. It's kind of a detailed story. Bear with me...

My wife and I both wanted a LC all our lives. For me it started with a ride off road in an FJ40 when I was a kid. For some reason, I just thought it was so much cooler than the jeeps we were with.

At 16, I tried to get one, but didn't have enough money. At 20, I tried to get one, but didn't have enough money so I bought a jeep YJ (kept it forever - now owned by a close friend.) We drove everywhere in that thing. Off road, trips to the snow, Death Valley, Sedona, trips to Baja. In my late 20s, we wanted something bigger, more practical and with a roof. But we wanted to continue our off road adventures. I didn't have enough money for a Land Cruiser, so we bought a Cherokee. It wasn't a very good car. It was super sketchy at highway speeds. The brakes were horrible. It felt unsafe. So, when my daughter was born (I was in my early 30s), we sold it and were in the market again. We wanted a Land Cruiser, and we finally felt like we had enough money to get one.

During our search for a Land Cruiser, we went to an auto show. We sat in tons of vehicles, trying to be open minded. Here's the hard part to admit: The brand new Land Rover LR3 was pretty cool. It just felt more modern. It kinda made the 100 feel old and the sticker price was at least $10K less. So, I made one of the worst mistakes of my life. We bought a new LR3. It went bad from the start. The first time I took it off road, just a couple months into the ownership, the suspension gave out. It was in the shop for weeks. They ended up swapping the entire rear axle from a different car on the lot, because LR didn't have replacement parts. It was in the shop for a couple of other things. Then, the last straw, after the first rain that winter, I took my daughter out to head off to preschool that morning, I opened the door and a flood of water poured out onto my feet. The moonroof drains weren't big enough to handle rain. Not clogged, mind you. Just not big enough. In 2006, how in the world can a car company not design a proper moonroof drain? That was it. Lesson learned. We took it straight to the toyota dealer and traded it in on the Land Cruiser we have now. I should say, my wife did. She dealt with the whole thing cuz she's a badass. She got a pretty fair deal on both the trade in and the Cruiser purchase while I took care of the kids.

So, in the end, we finally got the truck we both always wanted. It's been perfect for everything we've needed. Although it's been to the mall (it was my daily driver for years) it was not purchased for that. From babies and car seats, to 7 kid carpools back and forth to school, to trips to the snow, to progressively more and more isolated and treacherous off road adventures. It went full circle this past summer when my daughter and her friend, now 18, took it on a three week summer camping trip in the high sierra. I'd say we've gotten our money's worth. Even if you include the loss we took on that stupid LR3!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom