White on Red 78 FJ40 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nottajeep

Enemies of the State
SILVER Star
Threads
As a regular on this site, I am starting a 3rd build thread in a 3rd LC tech section since first logging onto this site 5 yrs ago. I have officially been injected with the cruiser bug and wish I could own 1 or 2 or every generation of the 40 thru 200 series. I totally dig the old to the new.

My first LC was a (white) 80-series '97 model where I first cut my teeth.
As a Texan I purchased this one from the NE of USA just because I could not be patient enough to find a deal locally. It turned out to be rusty in some areas but still drove like a tank anywhere. I later sold knowing I wanted 3 main areas of improvement:
1) rear air (it's damn hot here)
2) no rust (I live in TX and this should not be a problem some patience)
3) V8

Well, I found the buyer I needed for the 80 and moved on to a (white) '99 100-series. Aside from the IFS limitation issues, it has become the supreme family cruiser in every aspect.

The 2UZ-FE is one of the best motors out of TEQ and that A/C works easy in a climate like TX. Since, I have my two young ones + :princess: to haul around now. I had to find a daily driver than can also hit any medium trails on the weekend. This rig has been a perfect lifetime TX truck with a clean history and will remain in the family for quite some time. After that was settled, I still had a craving for another… LC

By this time, I had been staring at other people’s 40's on-and- off for about 3 years and the FJ40 is just a classic bad ass that can not be repeated. I knew I did not want to start with a basket case that would take me a LOT of work and time to get on the road/trail. I also wanted a 40 that was still true to the design, as I am somewhat of a TEQ purist at heart. Next choice up… what year model to buy?
This thread https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/16760-best-year-40-a.html told me a 78 FJ40 would probably suite me the best. (Woody said :flipoff2:).
· 4 spd
· 4.11’s
· Fine spline
· Disc brakes
So, what next... another white LC (unintentionally :cool:).
This one is in good shape from what I have seen in comparison. It was originally freeborn red and the previous owner painted the exterior white after an incident with front fenders and a cow. Has the Aussie locker already installed and a electronic fuel primer.
Engine looks decent but is way behind on maintenance so that is my first set of tasks. Also vaccum hoses seem to be disconnected in spots and the air filter assy is a mess. New fluids and right the wrongs to see if it will run good at 60mph.
IMGP1204.jpg
bridgeport 07.28.2012.jpg
IMGP6799.jpg

Last edited:
Next Steps...

Future plans include: removing the ugly front bumper, Orion, ARB lockers, hard top with doors, and A/C, rear bench for the kids, and who knows where else this will lead. :cheers:
IMG_20130310_114836_807 (4).jpg
D19A0711.jpg
IMGP8962.jpg

Last edited:
Future plans include: removing the ugly front bumper, Orion, ARB lockers, hard top with doors, and A/C, rear bench for the kids, and who knows where else this will lead. :cheers:

Hey Jason

Welcome to 40 ownership! Have you got an idea of what you want for a rear seat? I just removed mine and went back to the jump seats. I installed it back when they were younger and now they are 21 and 18.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

I really liked it while I had it installed. Mine is available and I would love to see it go to a good home.

Your 40 looks like a good one. You will really grow attached to it. I love my 100 but my FJ40 is like one of my kids. I just cant see myself ever not having it.

Man, that is mighty swell of you. Looks like you have a really nice setup.

PM your price and paypal. Are you in DFW area much these days?

Well, this project is off to a good start...

1) Copenhagen and I made a very sweet deal on his rear bench seat. This will help ensure my kids get to enjoy this 40 as much as I do. Meeting up with good folks like this would not be possible without this site and this community. If you haven't checked out his build, he has resurrected a really nice 40 and shares the same freeborn red interior. :grinpimp:

2) Changed the diff, tranny, and transfer case fluids using Valvoline 80w-90. The PO did not maintain the fluids so I watched some pretty nasty gunk come out trailing the fluids. Good news is the fluids were full and bad news is they were very old. I plan to let the Valvoline run it's course for 5K miles and then drain and fill again to get more gunk out. Before reverse was a grind and find type shift and now it just drops in reverse smoothly. It's such a relief to have these changed out now.

3) Oil change was black but no gunk like the diffs. The PO fram filter was impossible to turn by hand so I had to tap into the to of it and turn with channel lock pliers. That was the first time I had ever seen rust inside an oil filter lip. I added Mobil 1 15w-50 for now. It's really good for the flat tappet engines and has a really high ZDDP. I am told that Castrol 20w-50 has a high following on this board but I am surprised Castrol will not share their ZDDP numbers??? I have always been a Mobil 1 guy but may give the Castrol a whirl next change. Anyway, I also found a missing bolt in the oil pan, which is a major contributor to my oil leaks. I ordered a new bolt and pan gasket from SOR. Will insert the bolt immediately and probably change the gasket next oil change 2-3K miles depending on how quick the oil goes dark again.

4) I scored a local deal on a 75 model front doors, hard top and rear ambulance doors for $300. I could not believe it and finally just decided this 40 and me are a match made in heaven. These have some rust but I think I will be able to get buy without any cutting and welding. All glass is in place without any breaks and the seals are still in really good shape. Front doors will need new weatherstripping, window handles and panels. The fiberglass top is in excellent shape with just one rust spot on one end. Now I have to decide if I want to paint the top white or revert everything back on the 40 to the original freeborn red.

5) Installed a carb AC gasket, new air filter, and 1 of the 2 rubber gasket for the air cleaner assembly. Still need the #2 rubber AC gasket to complete the correct setup. I also got to know what a dizzy is and how some of my vaccum lines should be routed in this thread. https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/724781-vaccum-hose-routing-78-2f.html

Moving on to the next phase:
1)The carb and fuel lines- everything runs great until the 40 is up and running at normal temps and then it stalls and dies when coming to a stop at something like a stop light. I foresee FJ40Jim in my near future. I expect to spend good deal of quality time in the carb phase. I want this to run perrrrrfectly. I did drop a can of chem tool in the tank and filled it up with Shell 93 octane. I also have a new fuel filter ready to go in after this tank gets further down. The PO had a broken choke cable and instead installed his own choke. I wonder if this is a source of my problem...

2) Time for a coolant change... I have always been loyal to the Mr T red, but it seems you 40 guys are not so loyal. I also don't know if I will flush the system or just drain and fill...

3) Ordered some bilstein 5100 shocks for the 4" lift https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/626525-fj40-bilstein-5100-5150-shock-part-numbers.html
I have a rough country lift from the PO and it flat out sucks. I will try these shocks with the rough country springs to see if things improve. The PO also gave me these wedges to insert in the springs? Not sure if they are safe or even worthy of the hassle, but he claimed they should settle the bouncing down in the rear. Any one familiar with these wedges?
bench seat.jpg
hardtop.jpg
leaf spring wedges.jpg

Last edited:
Other then that, I have just enjoyed driving around town and getting to know the 40 better. My little girl has become my biggest fan and just goes crazy when I take her with me.
brooke and 40.jpg

Jason I believe those are caster (castor) shims. They are used to correct your caster on your steering axle. I put a 4" lift on mine with factory shackles. After I rebuilt everything on the front end, I had it aligned. They told me I have 1.5 degree negative caster and, ideally, it needs to be 1.5-2 degree positive. Therefore I am about to order some 3 degree steel shims for mine.

If you search caster ( both spellings) you will get a pretty good idea what those wedge shims do. I may not have it exactly right but at the very least, I will bump it back to the top for you so that somebody more intelligent than me might chime in :).

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Love the rear seat. I gotta get one for mine when it's done. Where did you get it and what vehicle was it formerly from? Lokks like it was recovered to look like a factory FJ40 seat as well.

Check Copenhagen's build thread... I believe it was a dodge raider.

He had it refinished and made it look close to his front seats.

Love the rear seat. I gotta get one for mine when it's done. Where did you get it and what vehicle was it formerly from? Lokks like it was recovered to look like a factory FJ40 seat as well.

Check Copenhagen's build thread... I believe it was a dodge raider.

He had it refinished and made it look close to his front seats.

Yes it was a Dodge Raider seat from 1987 or 88. And yes I had it recovered to match my front seats when they were done. The seat worked really good when my kids were young but now I never have more than 1 person ride with me so I went back to the jump seats.

It's been a while since I updated this thread. Made some good progress over the summer with the help of Texican. I just could not take the high country lift any longer and after reading endless threads on the pros and cons of shackle reversal, I was open to giving Dave Gore's products a try. (I always try to buy from vendors that also wheel their products too.)

Installed a 4+ shackle reversal kit with 4+ dog bone shackles on the front and ended up with the HFs springs (2.5" front/4" rear). Rear also has the 2" over anti-inversion shackles from 4 +. The setup was pretty stiff to start out but the 40 drives straight and nice at 60mph. Having only a 2.5" spring lift in the front seems to really have it's advantages over the previous 4" spring on the front.

I originally bought my bilstein shocks for the 4" lift all around. Even though I changed the front to SR with 2.5" spring.
Now, I have a 8.6" travel shock up front with the OEM stock shock towers.
Seems to work out great. Drive shaft stays put and I have a nice down travel on the trail.
SR front.jpg
dog bone sr.jpg

Last edited:
Added power steering cooler from Manafre to help keep the mini truck steering cooled.
power steering cooler.jpg

so I wheeled the 40 with some jeeps and had a lot of trouble with some climbs and decided a front locker was in order. ARB ran the promo with free compressor early in May/June and I got a locker with compressor delivered for $900.
wheeling no front locker.jpg
arb front diff.jpg
arb switches.jpg

Rear brakes were a locked up mess. The time was right to switch over to rear disc
rear drum brakes.jpg
rear disc brakes.jpg

Added the 4+ front bumper. This thing has great clearance and room for a planetary winch some day.

Got a chance to attend one of my favorite events SCC 2013 in Hot Springs, AR.
planetarywinchbumper.jpg
SCC20131.jpg
SCC2013.jpg
wheeling SCC.jpg

Using the 100 as my tow vehicle and running 100% gas in the 40. Life is good.
IMG_20130905_123155.jpg
100 tow.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom