Whining sound only when accelerating could be...? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1991 I get some drivetrain whine that changes in pitch as I accelerate but will stop immediately as I let off the gas or go to N. Sounds sort of like a wheel bearing but only when I step on the gas. What is the likely culprit?

I've read through some threads about 'whine' and 'GRRR' and thought I'd ask more directly before digging further.

Check the FAQ at the top of the forum and look under "Possible Driveshaft/Tranny Clunk" and see if any of the problems described in there are like what you are experiencing.

Razor,
Are your belts new?? can you reproduce the noise when without the drive train in gear??
Just a thought. Mine has similar issue but is coming form the ps pump periodically So not something I am that worried about.
Dave

Check your spark plugs for a resistor.

This happened to me. I regreased the driveshaft and u joits and it went away

jaxcruiser said:

Thanks for the replies guys!

Certainly not a braking issue and although I do get a slight clunk it is the whine that is driving me crazy right now. Belts are not new. Makes the sound all the time when accelerating only, and only when in D, so it sounds like you're on to something with the driveshaft, rather than some sort of bearing. I Just got my FSM recently so I'll check it out.

How long did this take you personally to do/ how many bannana job? I'll search as well to see more info on this.

Last edited:
jaxcruiser said:

I've had this exact problem for a while now - and it's gotten worse.

I regreased my driveshaft and u joints and it did not go away for me.

It doesn't impact vehicle operation (yet) and is annoying but I've decided to live with it for the time being. A non-cruiser wheeling friend of mine thinks it's a bearing issue.

cruiser4life said:
I've had this exact problem for a while now - and it's gotten worse.

I regreased my driveshaft and u joints and it did not go away for me.

It doesn't impact vehicle operation (yet) and is annoying but I've decided to live with it for the time being. A non-cruiser wheeling friend of mine thinks it's a bearing issue.

Oddly enough, an ex-mechanic friend of mine also thought it was some type of output bearing just from the sound. I hope mine goes away after greasing, but if it doesn't I'll explore further. Please post a follow up if you find anthing else out.

I've got a whine... but it sounds kinda electronic. ???

Non OEM belts can make a whining sound, but that doesn't seem to be the case with yours, especially if you don't get the sound while revving in "P" or "N".

Tcase? DS? Wheel bearings?

I'd think it would have to be one of these three things...

NorCalDoug said:
Non OEM belts can make a whining sound, but that doesn't seem to be the case with yours, especially if you don't get the sound while revving in "P" or "N".

Tcase? DS? Wheel bearings?

I'd think it would have to be one of these three things...

And not wheel bearings since the sound would be more constant. I've gone through wheel bearings on other cars so I know that sound all too well unfortunately....

What does DS stand for? (other than drivers side)

I am really surprised no one has said it so I will.
If you grease the drive shafts and replace belts first and it still is there then
its probably the belt tension pulley (or whatever its called)
the little one that does not appear to drive anything.
I remember many threads stating whent he bearing are shot it gets quite loud.

What about the fuel pump?

I have this same problem with my '97 LX450. It seems to be coming from somewhere under the vehicle, mid- to rear location. I have new belts and have recently greased the DS (drive shaft). My thoughts were that it may be a fuel pump as it is not a constant while accelerating, and my aging memory seems to recall a similar problem on an old chevy. It seems to get worse when on the throttle, but dissipates when cruising at driving speed. Could be a bearing, but I am unsure where the bearing would be unless it is in the center diff or tranny.

Trinny said:
I have this same problem with my '97 LX450. It seems to be coming from somewhere under the vehicle, mid- to rear location. I have new belts and have recently greased the DS (drive shaft). My thoughts were that it may be a fuel pump as it is not a constant while accelerating, and my aging memory seems to recall a similar problem on an old chevy. It seems to get worse when on the throttle, but dissipates when cruising at driving speed. Could be a bearing, but I am unsure where the bearing would be unless it is in the center diff or tranny.

I'm going to grease the driveshafts and U joints via the zerks from what I've read and report back results as it seems to be coming from the center of the vehicle and even if this is not the source it is worth doing.

Been reading about the above procedures that last few days through the search feature. Any particular type of grease to use or type of grease gun?

I'm enjoying learning how to work on this rig.

I had a similarly hard to find whine/buzz coming from the rear only on acceleration that went up in pitch with the RPM's. I was leaning towards a fuel pump noise when I finally figured out that deterioration in the resonator (the can-like muffler at the tail pipe) was the cause. Little bits of rust or loose metal caused it to whistle as the exhaust gasses accelerated. My noise sounded much more electric than mechanical; almost like an electric motor winding up. It had me stumped for months.

Interesting. I have a similar whistle, in addition to an annoying rattle at idle that seemed to be coming from the cat/exhaust area. Today I started grabbing/banging on exhaust compents. All hangers are good, but the muffler rattles like crazy. I no longer have a resonator. I suspect broken baffles? Wonder if a new muffler would fix both problems. I called my local Toyota dealer, and they want $355 for a muffler (part only) :eek: :eek: :eek:

No one has posted a fix for that whine. I have rebuild the diff and rear bearing, greased U-joints to no effect. I have found hints that it may be transfer case due to the all wheel drive. No time or money to get into that. I hope to get a chassis ear to pin point the area making the noise. Hopefully a fix will be found and posted. Output bearing is another good option.

*BUMP*
MORNING MUD :flipoff2:

I hear a slight one which I believe is an electrical sound and I can't tell if it's coming from the fuel pump area. It's only around 2,200 to 3,000 RPM on acceleration or steady highway driving.

It's a constant electrical whine. almost like an electrical noise coming through a speaker, but with the radio completely off it's still whining.

I'm wondering if my fuel pump is warning me?

I recently upgraded all my grounds with @Fourrunner kit but this started well after.

Any Solutions found since 2005 or suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom