Which winter boots from REI provide the most amount of toe freezing protection? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have spent so many hours hunting and especially ice fishing in extreme cold temps.

The most important thing for keeping your toes warm (all extremities) is

1. Keep them dry.
2. Keep your neck, head, and torso properly insulated.
3. Stop the wind.

As long as your toes are dry and your torso, neck, and head are adequately protected from the wind and insulated than your body will send all the sweet warm blood to your extremities keeping them warm.

When your body senses that your vital areas are starting to get cold than it will severely limit blood flow to the extremities and your fingers and toes will get cold no matter what boots , gloves, and socks you are wearing.

If I am outdoors and my toes, feet, or hands start to get cold than I add more insulation to my chest and try to increase insulation around my neck and head. Sure enough after addressing this my toes and fingers get warm again.

When I am ice fishing in below freezing temps I don't wear gloves and I will constantly be putting my hands into ice and the water. As long as I am adequately dressed my hands never bother me.

Thank you for the explanation, totally makes sense. One thing I need to mention is that I encounter the same cold finger tips and toes while I'm working inside a heated (50-60degF) garage while wearing insulated coveralls. My core is toasty but my tips get cold and every so often I have to go to the kitchen and warm up my fingers on the stove top, then return to the garage.

I'll be snowshoeing today and will pay attention to my torso temp and bring a scarf this time. My chest does get damp so I may need to open up the zipper while going uphill and see if that helps.

Last edited:
I’m in Alaska. Here is your best option. I buy 2 boxes of each (hand/foot) every fall when our Costco has them on pallets.

Like others have said, I also prefer non insulated shoes/boots if I’m doing anything active (like you mentioned snowshoeing). Solomon spikecross with toe warmers are my go to for dog walking even in the -20’s F. For insulated I’m partial to Sorel and Baffin.

image.jpg

Don't overtighten over the arch, veins run right on the top of the foot and I hate those
'support' socks with tight bands of elastic around the arch.

I wear Lowa Mountain Expert GTX for work. Had a handful of pairs over the years, love them and available from REI and Backcountry. They have the toe and heel to wear your ice cleats and believe are a 200 grain insulation. Lowa discontinued this model and I believe the model that replaced it is the Alpine Expert GTX. Pretty sure now you either have to choose 400 grain insulation or non insulated. One of the feature I love about these boots that is they have lockers halfway up the laces, so you can leave it loose on top of your foot but make your ankle snug like what @cruiserpilot 👆is suggesting. Very similar to the La Sportiva Makalu and Karakorum that coworkers wear. One coworker from the Midwest recommended Kenetrek boots for cold weather.

Lowa‘s Rule!
Just like back in the old days I’d leave the middle buckle on my downhill boots completely
unlatched. And I never wore socks in ski boots in 15 yrs.

quick update:

So, I bought thse socks from REI and went snowshoeing using my too large pair of Sorrels. Toes froze in half hour.

So then I bought these boots from REI then went snowshoeing with the REI socks from above. Toes remained warm but the socks felt too sloppy. I'll be returning the socks but keeping the boots. The boots are awesome, fit precisely and the traction on hard packed snow is superb.

When a Large size comes up, i'll be ordering a set of socks from here Trekker Bison/Merino Boot Socks - https://thebuffalowoolco.com/collections/rtw-socks/products/trekker-boot-socks

Alpaca socks are warmer than Merino wool/wool. For fly fishing at Pyramid while standing on a ladder or float tube fly fishing right after the ice leaves a lake...toe warmers work well for me. The key is to remove them from their package at least 1/2 hour before you put them on your feet/into your boot to preheat.

I haven't used battery heated socks but they might work for you if all else fails.

A cheat code is aspirin as it thins the blood and lets flow through the toes better.
I had never heard of this before. I've given it a try over the last couple days, and while it hasn't been overly cold out, I  think I notice a difference. Looking forward to testing it in real cold.

I had never heard of this before. I've given it a try over the last couple days, and while it hasn't been overly cold out, I  think I notice a difference. Looking forward to testing it in real cold.
It's not like a massive heat buildup but it does thin you blood and allow it to flow to extremities easier

Alpaca socks are warmer than Merino wool/wool. For fly fishing at Pyramid while standing on a ladder or float tube fly fishing right after the ice leaves a lake...toe warmers work well for me. The key is to remove them from their package at least 1/2 hour before you put them on your feet/into your boot to preheat.

I haven't used battery heated socks but they might work for you if all else fails.
I got them on order, thanks 👍🏼

Update

Went snowshoeing couple of days ago on a blustery day. I'm guessing the temperature up there was hovering around zero due to the wind gusts. However, my feet were toasty warm and I was wearing a pair of heavy duty socks that I already owned. The socks from REI are just too loosey goosey for me. My fingertips on the other hand, became close to being frozen about the one hour mark, which cut my activities short.

I need to purchase a bottle of aspirin because I only own load those aspirin apparently! I can't wait to try out this trick.

Also have poor circulation as my fingers and toes always get cold. These socks have solved the problem:

Thanks for this link, I just ordered some Bison gloves.

Thanks for this link, I just ordered some Bison gloves.

Same here, I bought my very first stupid expensive pair of gloves that I'm hoping will be the cat's meow 😁

The gloves and socks have arrived and it's been snowing. Tomorrow will be the big test 👍🏼

20230213_154553.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom