Which winch should I buy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got about $400 and not much more to spend on a winch. I live in Arkansas and really want to get out on some trails in the NF but don't want to go without a winch. Soooo HF has there badlands 12000lb on sale for the next 3 days for $299 and I've also found a superwinch lp10000 on sale for $399 (regular over $700).

What do you think? I'm leaning towards the superwinch because of the name brand but I'd love some input.

Thanks

I thought superwinch was made in Massachusetts or somewhere close to there. That's why I was leaning that way. I guess I need to do some research.

Price is one of the best indicators of origin.

The lp series stands for "low price" and is Chinese.
The best thing to do in comparing Chinese winches is to compare parts used because they are interchangeable:
1. Hp of motor,
2. sealed unit or not,
3. synthetic or steel line,
4. Albright knock off style solenoids or old style solenoids,
5. gear ratio

Decide which components you want first and then find who can deliver for the price you want.

I think I've decided to wait, save some more money and by a Warn VR series. I won't use it a lot and if I do at least it's a warn. I know it's an entry level winch and probably got some Chinese parts but it's built here and carries the warn warranty. I can get a VR 10000 for $579. I'll just have to wait a little longer.

Thanks for the help.

craigslist! warn is a great brand with great support and parts availability. I just paid for an 8274 today, $375 on CL, havent picked it up yet, but almost every single part on it is available new/replaceable/serviceable...

craigslist! warn is a great brand with great support and parts availability. I just paid for an 8274 today, $375 on CL, havent picked it up yet, but almost every single part on it is available new/replaceable/serviceable...

I agree. I've been looking at the Badland winch but I really wanted the support and parts availability offered by Warn. If the Badland breaks, there's no guarantee I can source parts. If the Warn breaks I can probably have a replacement part in a week.

I've been watching CL off and on and the other day I saw an "M12000 Warren Wench". It's a mid 80's model and I ended up picking it up for $150. I'm sure it will work just the way it sits, even the cable looks good. I plan to tear it down, clean and grease, and replace any needed parts. In the end I should have a solid M12000 for less than the price of a new Badland winch.

Man, wish I could get that lucky. Winches go quick down here, one popped up last week and was gone inside 2 hrs. I guess I'll have to be more diligent!!

Congrats on the score,

Chinese winches are like peas in a pod: take your pick.

I disagree with this. China can produce some really nice stuff if the proper QA/QC is in place. Most of the winches produced by the Chinese are basicaly the same, but tolerances can vary greatly.

Also, the VR line from Warn (and most of their other winches) are made in China.

I disagree with this. China can produce some really nice stuff if the proper QA/QC is in place. Most of the winches produced by the Chinese are basicaly the same, but tolerances can vary greatly.

Also, the VR line from Warn (and most of their other winches) are made in China.

I don't know if I agree with that last line. Everything I've read, including some posts from a Warn representative on here, says they may use some Chinese parts but they are built here. That makes me feel a little better about buying a VR series.

If all it takes is for final assembly to happen in the us then fine. The parts are still made in China :men:

Most of the winches produced by the Chinese are basicaly the same, but tolerances can vary greatly.

While the tolerances of parts can vary, my experience is that they seem to vary at random and not by the sticker that is on the winch when it hits the US.

In fact, some of the winches I have seen over the past couple of years have cross branded parts, like Tmax parts on HF branded winches or MileMarker parts on Smitty winches, implying that the parts all come from the same manufacturer or one of a few manufacturers and are merely assembled and badged into different brands by a vast number of assemblers. Product reviews are consistent with this. Many owners have good experiences, but there are always some that have bad experiences with all brands of Chinese winches.

Hence, those with the same parts are like peas in a pod.

Those with a different set of parts (sealed motors, better gear boxes, etc) are just a different type of pea pod, like snow peas vs table peas.

It is possible that some assemblers (like Warn) may do a better job of QC than others, but I have not seen it yet.

Please pass the peas!

I have 3 Warn winches

late 70s 8274 24v W.M.S motor it does 10,000lb single line pulls up 45 deg hills with out a peep

8274 - 50 24v in the box still

2007 M8000 24v many hours on it but gets warm quickly

Although I am a Warn guy, for the price of the VR I think you could do just as well with a Smittybuilt or ............ something else like a used 8274 on craigslist.

Having dealt customer service for smitty built, badlands, and milemarker, milemarker wins. Smittybuilt sends you a bunch of parts at no charge, but never the right one. Harborfreight may hand you a new one or say screw off, especially the one in springdale if you live in NWA. Milemarker walked me through, step by step, of how to remove the broken part and put back together the winch. My winch was made in 2002, got the last selector in the country for it. Guys name was Bub. Had a strong southern draw.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom