WHICH WINCH FOR MY ARB BULL (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I think I am going to pull the trigger on an ARB bull bar, finally. Which winch would I use. I had an 8274 which was great, but I need to get a low profile on this ride..... I doubt I will use it often, but it will be nice to have.

Options are: Warn HS 9500, XD 9000, or M8000

Thanks, Tenncrusher

Tenn,

I believe that you should get the biggest winch that your billfold can stand. If you can swing it, you should get the 12k Warn. I have an 8k Warn that has been my trusted friend on 2 rigs. I wanted a hidden mount so I have the smaller winch. It is borderline for self recovery on a 6500 lb trail rig. Junk has managed to stall a 12K trying to get his out. The ARB will fit a 12k nicely, that is Rogue's combo at the moment. Christo's beautifully made front bar was designed around the 12k Warn.
If I ever toast my one-off Stout I'll replace it with one of Christo's and a 12k.

Dan.

15k fits the ARB fine. Have seen it in person and it fits exactly like the 12k.

I've stalled my 12k several times.

Get as big as you can. If all you can afford is a cheapo suckiesuckie pos 8lb winch, then bet the money on black a few times and hope you win. Otherwise, you're gonna have to explain to the hausfrau how you blew her streetcorner earned money on a winch and you still got stuck. :flipoff2:

12k at least. 15k is better (slower and less cable, but better).

I agree with Junk, but don't tell hime that. :D

12k works, but 15k is bigger and therefore better...

Wow, I never stalled my 8274 when it was on my 62 and pulled at some strange angles.....It was a beast. I guess the other (compacts) just do not pull as hard.

I run a Warn 12K and it works & fits great!

Although I've never stalled it.... yet... :D

Tenn,

I haven't stalled mine either. It is also possible to double up and get 16 out of an 8 (if you have enough cable). I think where all of this is going is there is no such thing as too much winch capacity. The larger winches often net you more cable to boot, that is where I'm hurting now. Iv'e only got 80 feet of cable and I have been told that I can't put more on the drum :'(

Dan.

Christo,

What happens if a guy doubles up on yours?

Get a Warn M12k and a good snatch block. That should get you out of almost any jam.

I vote highly for the 12k, thats what I have had for years on my 80. BTW I know the 10k Warn isn't made anymore BUT you can still get it, ARB has them......if someone really want one.

10k warn on my fj60, would have done 12k if I bought new but for $350 for the 10k and it was used once.....well the 10k works great :)

8274-50 on the green 82 fj40
8274(vintage 1982) on the fj45

I know if a guy really wanted one you could order a 80 series ARB bar for a 8274, not sure if you still can, for a 60 you can still, just gotta wait 6 weeks or so.

I'm old fashion and still run wire cable on all of them.......but the syn rope is tempting me ;)

IMOP dual batteries are recomened as well.

John H

>> FWIW, the ARB was desinged for a M10k. With the 15k you might be overstressing the mount points, especially on a double line pull. No sure what ARB's design safety factors are.

Yep... and in a long chat with an ARB rep this summer, I couldn't get the dude to say "12K." I think it's the typical CYA liability issue, but they won't bless a 12K, surely not the 15K.

Once again, it's the application: 15K is too much winch, and too much weight for the expeditionary type wheeling I do. The guys that get their butts really stuck get every bit of use out of the 15K. It's a judgement call, given the limits of the bumper's design.

Cheers, R -

Don't know about the mounting points, but have used the double line pull of the 12k a few times. IMO, if ARB is selling a "winch" bumper, it better be designed to take the power of a winch. Shees, next they'll be saying it can only take a black rat :flipoff2:

Tenn - maybe you want to wait till you actually wheel your junk? :flipoff2: 8274 would have stalled in the same situation dude.

Pimp - want a deal on some 3/8x125 plasma? :flipoff2:

Personally I like the 9,000 & 9,500 warn winches. I have used my for recovering dead, broken and stuck rigs at rock crawling events without problems. I have also climed Surprise Canyon 3 times with the same winch. If your stalling a 12K winch you may need to rethink the lines your taking and how you are using the winch.

My .02 cents:

I cut my winch cable to about 75ft on the drum. The rest just sits in the garage as an extension cable with thimble/eye loops at each end. Honestly, most of my pulls are real short and if they're longer than I use another vehicle. I have yet to need my extension cable for an extra long pull. I do feel that by cutting the cable length in half, the winch stays cooler and draws way less amps. I've confirmed the amps long time ago with a DC clamp. I have a 10k on my RR. Don't know what'll be going in the FJ80 yet.

Has anyone stuffed one between the front chassis rails, behind the stock bumper? IM me with the info (no thread hyjacking!).

Thanks.

Tenncrusher,

I installed the ARB Bull Bar and Warn M1200 on my ’93 FJZ80 with the thought that I would never use it but I had it “just in case”.

The first time I had it out after installing it we encountered a fairly large bolder field in a riverbed (rocks 12”-30” tall that had to gone over). My buddy powered and pushed his slightly lighter and narrower Isuzu Trooper through and is seemed very hard on his truck. I decided to try out my new winch and used it to ease myself over the rocks. I was amazed at how easy it made the crossing.

Later on the trip I made a boneheaded mistake and drove into a ditch on the edge of a very steep and tippy shelf road and ended up sliding off the road. With truck at 40-degree angle to the side and both the driver’s side wheels off the ground (I ordered ARB Air Lockers the Monday after we got home) and 300’ ravine on the passenger side I was both stuck and ready to roll over. The only thing holding the truck up were the sidewalls of my passenger’s side tires that had dug into the soft dirt of the ravine slope. After getting the kids out of the truck, we hooked the winch to my buddy’s Trooper and used it pull it out and up at the same time. My winch, without a doubt, saved my truck and repaid my investment about 15 times over!

I’m not sure about the 15K but I am very happy with my 12K and I like the comfort of having the 120’ cable.

Scott

Is that ARB rep spokin crack? My 100 series arb deluxe 2 piece winch bar has the 12000 lb winch listed in the instructions along with the 10000 winch. I am sure a one piece deluxe winch bar for an 80 can take the M12k .

Get the 12k, I found a used one. Check ebay. Also, I found a new m12k for $989 on the web with free shipping.

Regards,

uzj100

[quote author=Chris Geiger link=board=2;threadid=4994;start=msg38723#msg38723 date=1062963690]
If your stalling a 12K winch you may need to rethink the lines your taking and how you are using the winch.[/quote]

Maybe you need to wheel your Junk once in a while. :flipoff2:

Dude, no rethinking the line here. Stalled it when sitting on a trail, only previously done by 44" equipped buggies, sitting there with a broken birf. You may wanna rethink your winch if you start wheeling your truck. These are heavy beasts when equipped and you can get in some nasty places.

You can hardly blame ARB. The M12k was not around when the first designed the bar. That is why they stick to their guns on that. I think the M12 is totally safe in there, and most probably the M15 as well, however if you rip the bumper of the frame, then you can not really blame ARB.

They are CYA'ing, but who can blame them. As for ours, it was designed to take a M12k winch. Again, the M15 might fit and work.

On what Chris G said, I don't think you can stall a M12 in rock crawling with a 80. However I know you can stall it in snow and mud. Once these heavy pigs sink and suck down on their bellies, it takes a lot to move them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom