Which way do I go? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I'm movin to the DC area in the next couple months and wanna use the 40. Problem is it's locked front and rear with 4.88s. I'm plannin on movin back here in 2 or 3 years and I like this setup, but I know it'll suck on the highways down there.

Do I:
a) Buy another set of 3rds and swap them out?
b) Buy another set of 3.70 or 4.10 gears and keep the lockers?
c) Buy another set of axles and swap them out? (use old ones for SOA)

I'm leanin towards "a". If I swap 3rds, am I better off with the 79 up? Will they work in a 77?

Thanks in advance.

Just drive it.

Your welcome.

Just do not see the large quandry that apparently you do...

You can do:

a) Buy another set of 3rds and swap them out?
b) Buy another set of 3.70 or 4.10 gears and keep the lockers?
c) Buy another set of axles and swap them out? (use old ones for SOA)

Completly depends on how much street time this thing will see, as to a or b, and if your plans include doing a S/O at some time, and if you have the space to keep things, then by all means, procure more axles, and swap them out, and work on your S/O.

It is up to you dingleberry....

Good luck!

-Steve

I was trying to get a general idea of what you guys would do in my situation.

It's not gonna see much trail down there, and I don't have much room for s*** to pile up.

I'm leanin towards a 3rd swap, but I don't know if I'm missin somethin. Besides, I wanted to hear some input from the most knowledgable gurus on the net. :D

Me no guru but I would get an used set of thirds and swap them in, this would be cheaper than regear and much cheaper/simpler than axles swapping. Depends on where you live, here someone gave me a free set of 4.11s.

Just a from cheapie's perspective.

/td

I would think you should be able to pick up a set of 3.73 3rds for a song. IIRC, you can swap in 3rd all the way up to '90 fj62. You may have to redrill the flange to mate to your drive shaft.

I didn't see if you specified which lockers you have...

If it is anything other than selectable... then I would find some used 3.73 3rds to swap in, other than that you may consider the 3.73's in your 3rd. Also are you capable of swapping gears or is this something you would take to a shop? What about swapping 3rds, can you do it? It really comes down to time/money...

Buy a set of 60 series axles use the housings for the SOA cause
there wider and swap the 4.1 out of it with the 4.88 for the trip

We'll call this plan c just to confuse things more ???

:cheers:

The lockers are lockrite front, detroit rear. I'm probably gonna hang on to them, for use later.

I've found a couple used 3rds and I think that's the way to go.

I've worked on lots of diffs but never a toyo. I've got manuals and the new air tools, so I'll work on it next weekend. Only problem is no garage, and it's supposed to be -30 out. Maybe I'll put it off til it breaks +15.

Thanks all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom