Which brake rotors/pads to use?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm about to do a knuckle rebuild on my 93. I figured while everything up front is apart that I'd replace the front brake pads and rotors.
Should I replace everything using OEM Toyota parts or has anyone had any good results with aftermarket parts. I am thinking OEM but if there's something aftermarket that's decent, and cheaper $, then I'd get that.
I heard stories of aftermarket rotors warping and aftermarket pads not providing proper stopping power.
Anyone using decent aftermarket parts?
Where/what was used?

I tried non-Mr T rotors and pads about 5 years ago (forget where rotors came from, but pads were kragen). Anyhow, I noticed the rotors pulsing after a "don't hit the dog" type stop, and only got worse. This was pretty odd since it was a momentary event, not like riding the brakes and then waiting at a 4 minute stop light causing localized heating on the rotors...a WTF situation. This was maybe 4 months after the installation. The braking with aftermarket stuff (pads) felt ok, but seemed to fade just a little more than I would have liked within a couple of months. Ended up redoing all 4 corners w/new Mr. T rotors and pads a short time later. Last May (~3 years later changing back to OEM) I needed to do the pads again. Rotors were still in fine shape (turned for the exercise only...worst measurement on 1 rotor was .004"), kept the standard 80 series in rear and changed to 100's up front...a healthy difference is immediately noticeable). I'd suggest keep with OEM & hit Cruiserdan for the discounts.

My rotors are oem, I went with autos zone's premium ceramic for 100 series and they suck. I'd stick with Mr. T's stuff as well, I had an emergency stop 2 days ago that was pretty spooky, my old worn 80 series pads were much better.

I have tried drilled and slotted super duper rotors and high end pads and now will only use Mr. T's.

I'd def. stick w/ OEM. For the fronts, use the regular OEM rotors and might as well upgrade to the 100 series pads - but without the no squeal shims (Part# 04465-60220; Cruiserdan can get 'em for you). Why? OEM, bolt-in, and well...I'll let the pic do all the talking (80 series brake pads on L vs 100 series brake pads on R):

80vs100.jpg

You can find more info about it here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/345625-80-vs-100-series-brake-pads-picture.html

I've always liked Hawk pads, but have yet to try on the LC. Anyone have experience?

Not many miles on the parts yet, but I went with napa rotors and standard Toyota 80 series pads. No complaints. Rotors still true even after mountain driving.

If you are thinking going 100 series pads (longer life, but in theory same stopping "power") make sure whatever rotors you get will fit the pads. Meaning I think Toyota Rotors and Toyota 100 series pads will fit, but some aftermarket rotors may be slightly wider. There was a thread on this a while back, so I'm going from memory and not first hand experience.

Jose.

Looks like you polish the underside of your rig, or was it just painted?

I run napa premium ceramic pads and there premium rotors and I like them a lot no problems yet and have about 5000 miles on them.

I've always liked Hawk pads, but have yet to try on the LC. Anyone have experience?

I run their pads front and rear. They are the 100 series in the front and 80 series on the rear both fit fine. IMO they work better then ath OEM 100 series pads. On the down side they make alot of dust on the rims. There is more info on the hawks if you do a search.

I run napa premium ceramic pads and there premium rotors and I like them a lot no problems yet and have about 5000 miles on them.

x2 on the pads, not sure what rotors are on her but they work just fine

I run their pads front and rear. They are the 100 series in the front and 80 series on the rear both fit fine. IMO they work better then ath OEM 100 series pads. On the down side they make alot of dust on the rims. There is more info on the hawks if you do a search.

If they stop well and aren't noisy, dust I can live with. I'll see if I can dig up some info. I'm due some front brakes soon. PO put some kind of crappy pads on there.

Not sure how much this helps you fellas on the wrong side of the Pacific, but I'm using DBA slotted rotors (not cross drilled) with Bendix 4WD 100 series pads and the braking is pretty damn good.

Mind you the biggest improvement was from changing the brake lines that went from the axles to the front calipers. Absolute night and day in terms of performance.:bounce:
I'd suggest doing that first if you haven't as the lines go spongy over time and expand under brake pressure rather than the effort going to the pad.

Cheers

Wow damn is considered a swear word. Well I never :D

who is MR T?

i want his rotors?

website?

I went with OEM style Brembo rotors and the EBC Greenstuff 7000, 100 series pads for the fronts, and Powerstop ceramic pads for the rear.

Stops the loaded up 80 just fine and less $$$ than the OEM stuff:meh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom