Which batteries should I get for a for a 24v system? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Interesting - I didn't know your red tops croaked. Must be a 24V thing - I got mine at the same time from the same batch of blems and they are still working great in my 12V 70. My BIL and another buddy also got 1 each at the same time and both of them are still working fine as well, also in 12V situations...

Ya, they did not like being stacked in series for 24V at all...Even the yellow tops do not like it much, however having the converter go to load balance when running seems to be looking after them.

I think the damage was done. Lasted for a while in parallel in Poo, then simply gave up one day.

gb

I am guessing I only need to adjust the screw when I am in straight convert more.

Cheers,
Nick

Hi nick:

Actually, it's probably more critical to be more accurate with the voltage output of your low side wire on load balance mode than in convert mode. As long as both your batteries are within a couple of millivolts of each other in load balance, you're doing okay.

Stone

nickw when you get the DMM or volt meter

Nickw,
Before you buy the meter make sure it reads in Milli amperes. You have yet to do one more electrical test not mentioned. There might be a electrical device that is drawing current with the ignition off or drawing more current then normal.

When I was a mechanic in the 90s most Electronic Control Units "ECU's" draw no more then 200ma. Usually the radio draws very little current to keep its memory alive. But for land cruisers I dont know if thay draw any current when the igntion is off with the exception of the radio. I had a case once of a BMW owner complained his car would not start after two days. I checked everything that was obvios but used my electrical training In avionics to assume that some car assesory or device consumed more current then needed.

Doing the test.
I put the positive lead to the battery and negative lead to positive battery wire. This put the meter in series mode. If you do this please make sure the meter is in amp mode or you may blow a fuse in it and stick the leads in the amp jacks on the meter. With POWER off on the ignition check the current drain on the battery. I dont know how this would work with two batteries as I have not worked with a 24 volt system. Get back to us and find out what the total current drain is with ignition off.

In my case, I found the current to be excessivly high at 2 amps. I started pulling fuses one after the next and then pulled one that dropped the current to normal keep computer alive mode measurments. I found that his blaunkput radio was drawing way more current. Changed the radio out and resolved the issue.

When I was a mechanic in the 90s most Electronic Control Units "ECU's" draw no more then 200ma. Usually the radio draws very little current to keep its memory alive. But for land cruisers I dont know if thay draw any current when the igntion is off with the exception of the radio.

That's one of the great things about the BJ74...no ECU's. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom