Where to find oxygen sensors for 93 land cruiser? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all.

Well the check engine light is on again: this time its the o2 sensors. I've found a lot online about people with '95 and later 80 series cruisers replacing OEM parts with Denso sensors. I really like that fix (easy to get, easy on the wallet), but I've also seen a lot that says you can't do this with 93-94 cruisers (I have a 93).

Is there a Denso part that I can replace my sensors with that will work fine? If so what part number? I've seen 234-4520 floated around but can't find a lot of information about that and have seen a couple people saying to stick strictly to OEM sensors for 93 and 94 cruisers. The Denso 234-4520 parts are almost $200 a pop, so I want to make sure that works and is what I need before I clean out the bank account for it. If this is what I need and will last a long time, do I need the same part for driver's side and passenger side?

If not, anybody know where I can actually get OEM o2 sensors for a 93? Online everything just says "part discontinued", even from Toyota! Even if it weren't discontinued, I'm seeing prices of around $500 for the pair, which seems a bit egregious for a couple of oxygen sensors. Of course I could pick up a couple Bosch sensors from AutoZone for $110 each, but I've heard these are crap so if its worth the money I'll do it.

One last question: how bad is it to drive with faulty oxygen sensors anyways?

Thanks for all the info.

There's a high probability Denso IS the OEM, i.e. they made the part for Toyota (this is the case with many other Denso parts, I just don't know the O2 specifically). As for what part number I couldn't tell you for a '93 but Denso O2 sensors are popular around here. I just installed one to fix a code on mine. Don't get a Bosch sensor.

Driving with a bad O2 sensor can hurt your fuel economy quite a bit.

There's a high probability Denso IS the OEM, i.e. they made the part for Toyota (this is the case with many other Denso parts, I just don't know the O2 specifically). As for what part number I couldn't tell you for a '93 but Denso O2 sensors are popular around here. I just installed one to fix a code on mine. Don't get a Bosch sensor.

Driving with a bad O2 sensor can hurt your fuel economy quite a bit.
Check with Joey at Wit's End.

You can get them from the dealer too.

NTK, which are OEM, on Rock auto or amazon. I got mine on Amazon for $135 Canadian, that’s about $100 US!

Last edited:
My research told me that NTK was the OE manufacturer. I found them on rock auto for my ‘94, which has the same exhaust setup as your ‘93

Thanks for all the great info! Hadn't really looked into NTK before but those seem to be the way to go. I found the pair for less than $150 shipped! You guys just saved me $200 on those other sensors I was eyeing, thank you!!

One last question I have: is it the same part for driver's side and passenger side o2 sensor? I pulled the old ones and they look exactly the same to me but there might be some subtle difference I can't see.

Thanks again!

Just as an FYI for those who may want factory Toyota parts, P/N 80465-60110 for the oxygen sensor kit for the 93 and 94 Land Cruisers became NLA a few months back.

Thanks for all the great info! Hadn't really looked into NTK before but those seem to be the way to go. I found the pair for less than $150 shipped! You guys just saved me $200 on those other sensors I was eyeing, thank you!!

No, they are different, only in the way that the wires are longer on one vs the other.
One last question I have: is it the same part for driver's side and passenger side o2 sensor? I pulled the old ones and they look exactly the same to me but there might be some subtle difference I can't see.

Thanks again!

NTK, which are OEM, on Rock auto or amazon. I got mine on Amazon for $135 Canadian, that’s about $100 US!

So I went ahead and ordered these NTK sensors. Got them on RockAuto, part number 24044 (even had the guys at TorFab confirm that this is the right part). They arrived today so I went ahead and installed them. Everything secured as should be, connectors locked right together.

Aaand I still have the CEL telling me there's something wrong with the oxygen sensors. Now I'm a bit concerned this may be a bigger issue than I originally thought. Anybody have any ideas why I still have the light? Do I just need to reset it? In the past when I change a part the light goes off by itself so I expected the same thing to happen this time.

I will say (not sure this is important but worth noting) that I did not run the engine. I also have an issue with my front knock sensor which I removed yesterday so I don't want to run the engine until I can fix that and reinstall it. Maybe the ECU is just not picking up that the part is fixed since I haven't run the engine yet? If this is the case, would it be a problem to run the engine without that knock sensor if I'm not going to drive it anywhere?

I just want to diagnose what the issue is or get some closure if it is fixed.

Thanks again for the help!

Did you reset the ECU by pulling the fuse or disconnecting the battery for a few minutes?
I chased an O2 sensor code on my '94 for nearly a year. I noticed that after resting the ECU it would take 2 or 3 engine cycles before the code came back.
For what it's worth the issue was not my O2's it was the shielded sensor cable that routed from the sensor over the transmission and back along the bulkhead. To resolve the issue I recovered a few feet of the shielded cable and then made a new cable from the sensor direct to the ECU without the huge run over the transmission. Never had a fault since.

You will need to run the engine. You can also measure the resistance as per the fsm for the sensor just to make sure it is serviceable.

Ok I thought that might be the case, thanks for the info. I should get the part I need to fix the knock sensor this week so I'll run the engine and see if it works! Was thinking about resetting the ECU to make the code go away but I want to try to get that knock sensor fixed first -- if the code goes away when I put it back in then I know my fix is good!

And thanks for the tip @Irish Reiver, if the CEL comes back on I'll try that fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom