Where to find a lockable Jerry Can Mount? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.sethmetal.com
I'm building a custom bumper and I want a mount for my 20L Nato fuel cell, they are roughly the same size as the blitz cans.

I want something that is lockable and secures the can more than one of those cheap blitz mounts with a strap.

I'm also planning to mount my license plate on the front of it.

Heavy duty and lockable....anyone have any suggestions?

I'm actually having a shop make it for me, they tell me it would be cheaper for me to find one premade for them to attach, because it would take more time than the price of a readily available one.

Just wanted to see what was out there. I've seen a couple before, but now I can't find them for the life of me.

Has anyone one of the OEM Toyota can mounts? I know that they were once available.

woody said:

Yup. GOt those here too! They only work with the blitz-type cans with the metal handles on top. I think DEATHRUNNER is looking for what we used to call the basket type carrier. Kayline used one in their old tire carriers, but they weren't very strong. LandCruiserJunky had one on his 40 for a while and basically had to reweld every joint in the carrier within the first year!

I think this is one of those things you're best off having someone build to spec for you. Having said that, make sure you have more cans of the same configuration. Nothing like having a custom carrier when you can't get the cans for it any more! :doh: [ask dhondagod, I think he bought 40 of those cans at one time! :eek: ]

Yeah, I'm looking for more of a basket style, or a square bucket with a strap to go over the top. I've seen a couple that I like, but nothing perfect yet.

I'm trying to keep it premade, to keep down on cost. I figured land cruiser or land rover guys would know because of all the expedition type rigs.

I'll keep looking. Thanks

73Goat said:

wow I really like that one cause it covers the cap also. After reading about that longest trip in that FJ60 around the world made me think about locking caps on all my cars. The FJ60 had the problem of someone putting sand in the gas tank.

Yea, these guys sell some cool stuff. I have not bought anything from them yet, so can not speak for service.

Slee also sells a jerry can holder similar to Expedition Exchange that works with the African Outback roof rack:

African Outback @ Slee

73Goat said:
Yea, these guys sell some cool stuff. I have not bought anything from them yet, so can not speak for service.

Regarding Expedition Exchange, I've bought some stuff from them and have received prompt service with internet orders, when items are in stock. One time only he was out of stock with the wedco jerry can I wanted, so it took a few weeks to get to me. But he emailed me right away and let me know there was going to be a delay.

Yes, looks very similiar. Do you have one of these? If so are you happy with it? It is half the price!

There's a couple of military surplus places I frequent in El Cajon if you wanna try that route. I know I've seen a couple different type there. Been to the one in downtown SD but can't say what all I missed in that one? Worth a look anyway and close to ya I suppose.

Do you have one of these? If so are you happy with it? It is half the price!
I got one of the ones Slee sells. Mounted it on the plywood floor of my roof rack. Tons cheaper than the Expedition Outback one (which I almost bought), and almost identical in function.

I wanted one that lets me lay the cans flat on the roof ( so I can keep my sleek aerodynamic lines :rolleyes: ). Sounds like DEATHRUNNER wants one for upright cans on a rear carrier, they gotta make one for NATOs, don't recall seeing one.

Oh, don't try to haul those stupid Blitz cans sideways... I think they leak even when they're empty!

I was gonna order one the other day, but Christo mentioned he was working on his own design.......so I waited, I did get the spade and hi-lift mount for the Outback rack(which is sweet!) on the 100

surfpig said:
I got one of the ones Slee sells. Mounted it on the plywood floor of my roof rack. Tons cheaper than the Expedition Outback one (which I almost bought), and almost identical in function.

I wanted one that lets me lay the cans flat on the roof ( so I can keep my sleek aerodynamic lines :rolleyes: ). Sounds like DEATHRUNNER wants one for upright cans on a rear carrier, they gotta make one for NATOs, don't recall seeing one.

Oh, don't try to haul those stupid Blitz cans sideways... I think they leak even when they're empty!

I'll have to check the military surplus stores, thanks for the heads up, I'm in north county, so next time I'm out that way I'll have to make my self familiar with the area.

Yes, I want it mounted on the rear swingout tire carrier.

Rust free

http://www.roverworld.com/hannibal_roof_racks_english.htm
Hannibal-12.jpg

That looks like a well built mount, but if I mounted it on my swingout, it would stick out too far and eat up departure angle. I want it to mount so you're looking at the side of the can from the back of the vehichle.

DEATHRUNNER said:
I'm building a custom bumper and I want a mount for my 20L Nato fuel cell, they are roughly the same size as the blitz cans.

I want something that is lockable and secures the can more than one of those cheap blitz mounts with a strap.

I'm also planning to mount my license plate on the front of it.

Heavy duty and lockable....anyone have any suggestions?

I BUILT MY OWN, USING A PAIR OF TIRE MOUNT HINGES, AND LATCH, WITH HOMEMADE CATCH ON THE FRAME. tHE INSIDE OF THE RACK LOCKS, AND OPENS TWARD THE TAILGATE WHEN THE RACK IS SWUNG OUT. tHE SECTION THAT OPENS HAS BARS THAT SECURE THE CANS WHEN IT'S CLOSED.
I SOLD THE 40 THIS SUMMER, AND GOT WHAT I ASKED!!!! eARL
01210001.JPG

DEATHRUNNER said:
That looks like a well built mount, but if I mounted it on my swingout, it would stick out too far and eat up departure angle. I want it to mount so you're looking at the side of the can from the back of the vehichle.

Maybe pop rivet some aluminum on the open side, strips or one large piece, then mount it upright and flat against the swingout somehow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom