Where to buy snow chains for 37 inch tires? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 93 cruiser with 37x12.5 R17 tires on it right now. I'm taking it to the snow in a couple weeks and I want to get some snow chains before I go out there to be safe. The only ones I can find online are from tirechain.com. Anybody have experience with this website? Seems a little sketchy. Or anyone know where else I could find chains for tires this big?

One last question. How capable are these things in the snow? This will be the first time I've taken my cruiser to snowy/icy conditions. It has locking diffs but I don't want to be sliding all over the place

Thanks

I have purchased from them a couple times. Good product and service. My 60 is on 35s with a lock right in the back. It’s a beast in the snow. I see you are in Seattle. Cascade concrete is difficult to drive in even w chains when it’s deep. There is a lot of force required to push the deep snow out of the way. It’s fun, but bring a shovel or two and be prepared to use them.

I get snow chains for my rigs at a Les Schwab Tire Center. They are knowledgeable, well stocked this time of year and local (PNW) - good thing to have. Also, it's best to go playing in the snow with a group of rigs, not by yourself. Extractions will happen, so be prepared with proper gear. One rule that I abide by when playing by myself is, only use chains to get unstuck. In other words, don't use them to "get into trouble" - use them to get out of trouble. Traveling (point to point) in snow country is different than playing in it, so IMHO, different circumstances. But in either case, I try to leave "something up my sleeve" for emergencies. Winches are like gold in the winter. But, like chains, I keep them in reserve - to get out of trouble. There's no shame in turning around. Snowmobiles and tracked vehicles are for deep snow, but even they can get overwhelmed. Teamwork is necessary for these conditions and always let someone know where you're going and when you expect to return.

Advice from a ROF (Retired old fart)...:steer:

I can add a bit more.

Ladder chains work great in the forward/reverse direction. Off camber not so much. After some exciting experiences I now prefer diamond style chains. These have great traction in all directions. And Les Schwab sells them for a reasonable price.

Last point, the diamond chains sold by LS are lighter weight and easier to install. Don’t discount the weight, with larger tires, installing four sets can wear you out. You can call me a pussy, but if you need chains you will also likely be shoveling a lot...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom