Where is the TPMS button on the LX? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was looking in the 2013 LX owner manual in the Do-it-yourself maintenance section and it describes "How to initialize the tire pressure warning system"
There is a mention about a button that I cannot find in my truck:
1684550590860.png

Is the button somewhere else?
If no button, how is the initialization done? Have Toyota improved the system that initialization is no longer necessary?

I was looking in the 2013 LX owner manual in the Do-it-yourself maintenance section and it describes "How to initialize the tire pressure warning system"
There is a mention about a button that I cannot find in my truck:
View attachment 3327310

Is the button somewhere else?
If no button, how is the initialization done? Have Toyota improved the system that initialization is no longer necessary?
It is there, just a pain to find. It's under and to the left of the steering wheel. The picture shows it facing out, it is not. Look under where the picture shows it.

Here is the picture from my truck. I cannot see any button like that. I have a 2013 LX.
IMG_20230519_201915417.jpg
IMG_20230519_201859286.jpg

Below the hood and gas door release levers. Lay down and look up.

Just so you know, that isn't a magic button. All it does is tell the TPMS computer what your new default pressure is, so that if pressures drop a given % under that the alarms start going off. It won't program new sensors or anything like that.

Even with the new pressure set, there are global limits. So when I hit a trail and lower my pressure to 20 or less, the button won't do anything to prevent all the lights.

To my knowledge there isn't even any utility in TPMS initialization after a tire rotation, at least on the earlier rigs like ours. 16+ may be different because I think it can actually report the location. On our 2013 it keeps the same order in the list no matter where a given transmitter is located.

Got some time today and after getting tired of TPMS nagging me for cold tires going sometime to 32psi now that the heat wave has passed and did the procedure.
Per OM p.764:
a. Stop engine
b. Adjust cold tire pressure to ALL tires including spare.
c. Ignition On
d. Push and hold tire warning reset button until tire warning light blinks slowly 3 times and a message appears in the display.

After that I inflated the spare tire under the truck to 35psi just so I do not have to adjust its pressure as often as the rolling tires.

Just because I was at it, I wanted to see what the tire locations were in the display. For me at this time they are (top to bottom) 1=SP, 2=FR, 3=FL, 4=RL, 5=RR
Curious what you guys get and if in your experience it changes and in what conditions. So far for me has not changed playing with the pressure, initialization, restart, lock, etc. Wondering if it changes with rotation or reprograming of the sensors.

One more question ... If the sensor is missing, I get an error. But what does "1" means in TPMS display?
Sometimes I get a "1" when starting the truck. After driving a bit it changes to the actual pressure of that tire.

1692652068896.png

For a 2013 or earlier at least, the display order is defined by the order in which the sensors are programmed into the vehicle. It’s just a series of five boxes where you program the IDs, and that’s the order on the display. They won’t change around if you relocate sensors/tires. Later models can do that, but I’m not sure of the year cutoff.

No idea what the “1” means.. I can’t remember my 13 LC doing that. Are these factory Toyota or pacific industries sensors? Or aftermarket tire shop ones?

I've never seen a "1" on my '14 LX. Sometimes one or two sensors will take longer to get picked up/read-out, but the message for them is different. If the sensor starts displaying correct pressure in a few minutes, I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Sensors are aftermarket. After driving a bit everything is as expected and no messages. I'll call it good for now. Next tires change I'll go pacific industries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom