When to use the Center Differential Lock (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm new to off roading. I have a 2005 Series 100 that has a center differential lock. I was recently told that I should always have it engaged whenever in 4 Lo. Curious to the thoughts of those more experienced than me as this is contrary to what I thought. Thanks in advance.

In 4 Lo, the center diff is automatically locked. You don't have to do anything more. Just throw it in low and go!

In 4 Lo, the center diff is automatically locked. You don't have to do anything more. Just throw it in low and go!
Thanks for the reply. So then is the dash button to disengage? If so, when would this be recommended?

The button is for when you are in Hi range and want to engage/disengage. Like if you are in some snow or sand. You will see the CDL symbol light on the dash when locked.

The button is for when you are in Hi range and want to engage/disengage. Like if you are in some snow or sand. You will see the CDL symbol light on the dash when locked.
Thanks for the clarification. Appreciate it.

Only on 98-99, and even then it's not always desired. Plenty of times when you're on a steep surface with traction but want to be geared lower. That's why there's the "pin 7 mod" for those early years, and why Toyota changed it after 2000.

@Series100LC what year is your 100?

On your '05, it will only lock the center diff when you select it. You'll hear a relay click behind the glovebox on/off. Sometimes the light on my dash works, sometimes it doesn't. I use the sound of the relay to let me know when it's locked or unlocked in the event the light doesn't illuminate.

Never use it on dry pavement. It should only be used off-road on somewhat softish ground so your tires don't bind up if turning. I keep it as a 'just in case' feature when I can either see a difficult obstacle coming up, or I've already tried an obstacle unsuccessfully. I know some people will suggest leaving it locked anytime you're off road. Eh, sure you can, I guess.

Sorry, I should have gone out to my truck to verify. Mine is '01 LX and does in fact require the CDL button even in low. I was thinking of "VSC off" that disengages when in the CDL is engaged. I also have ATRAC, so I rarely turn on CDL. My order of operations is 1.) keep in hi as I enter the trail then 2.) if I start to lose traction or feel underpowered, drop to low; 3. If I get wheel spin or anticipate inconsistent traction situation, then turn on CDL. 4.) If I get stuck, I just got a front locker to help me out; 5.) Winch. And somewhere in there, I might air down.

Sorry, I should have gone out to my truck to verify. Mine is '01 LX and does in fact require the CDL button even in low. I was thinking of "VSC off" that disengages when in the CDL is engaged. I also have ATRAC, so I rarely turn on CDL. My order of operations is 1.) keep in hi as I enter the trail then 2.) if I start to lose traction or feel underpowered, drop to low; 3. If I get wheel spin or anticipate inconsistent traction situation, then turn on CDL. 4.) If I get stuck, I just got a front locker to help me out; 5.) Winch. And somewhere in there, I might air down.

That's a good order of operations. That would be what I'd follow. On my 98, I have to do the Pin7 mod to make my CDL selectable in 4Lo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom